Hello,

Do you think a trickster soulblade would work on a riposte build ?

How good riposte could be if I max out deviation with all the trickster buff (Mirror Image, Llengrath's Displaced Image for hits to graze), borred instinct from cipher spells, and blind on ennemies with eyestrike on top of that (yes many spells to cast, but the rogue will be fast, and I will max out intelligence for maximum duration benefits), and stack the 5% avoid attacks from talents and gear  ?

And of course the community patch to improve riposte to trigger on grazes ( I actually find the vanilla settings of Riposte surprising, the devs buffed it in PoE 1 to be on miss AND grazes, and it looks like they just forgot about that and reverted it back to how awfull it was first in PoE 1 pre patcht...

The community patch brings back the PoE 1 post patched riposte, it seems to be the same % chances.

1 hour ago, SenSx said:

How good riposte could be if I max out deviation with all the trickster buff (Mirror Image, Llengrath's Displaced Image for hits to graze), borred instinct from cipher spells, and blind on ennemies with eyestrike on top of that (yes many spells to cast, but the rogue will be fast, and I will max out intelligence for maximum duration benefits), and stack the 5% avoid attacks from talents and gear  ?

maxed resolve would be my main tip - i don't have a lot of experience with a riposte build so i'm not sure if you'd be better off with a bashing shield + weapon and shield style for full attack ripostes or whispers for the lower deflection bonus (+4) but an additional riposte.

escape would actually be the best defense that a rogue has, +50 deflection unconditionally. hard to keep up though, but if mirror image isn't enough for tough fights, escape could probably fit in at a pinch.

Edited by thelee

Beware of the trap that you might build your character that is good in 90% fights but underperform against bosses. Most bosses has really slow attacks, if they attack at all, and tend to have high accuracy, so the use of riposte is actually minimal.

As for the specific build, I found that you'll get way more out of disengagement attacks generated by terrified than from riposte, when fighting mobs. Mindstalker is good against bosses anyway, but just as normal mindstalkers.

The most fun Riposte builds contain Whispers of the Endless Paths with Offensive Parry for me. Riposte and Offensive Parry do stack.

The most ridiculous stacking of deflection for max Ripostes can be done with a Wizard bc. then you can use Wall of Draining to prolong otherwise short items'  deflection buffs which stack - for example the +50 deflection from the Mask of the Weyc on top of the +50 deflection from the Escape Cape + 25 Mirrored Images and Llengrath's Safeguard.

This is not a good strategy vs. bosses or ranged enemies obviously but good fun against melee mobs. Against bosses, ranged and/or singular enemies best switch to another weapon and do it the "regular" way: with Gouging Strike... ;)

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Riposte is just a way to add a little free damage, it shouldn't be your main focus. Works better on tanks because they are attacked by multiple opponents and can trigger more ripostes. Probably a forbidden fist/trickster is the best candidate because he's tanky enough and ripostes can also chain trigger Swift Flurry/Heartbeat Drumming with Mohora Tanga. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Boeroer said:

for example the +50 deflection from the Mask of the Weyc on top of the +50 deflection from the Escape Cape + 25

For OP, just some reminder text that this stacking with mirrored images only works with the escape cape. Because it’s tagged as an item ability it stacks with active abilities. You wouldn’t be able to stack with the rogues normal escape ability.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, thelee said:

For OP, just some reminder text that this stacking with mirrored images only works with the escape cape. Because it’s tagged as an item ability it stacks with active abilities. You wouldn’t be able to stack with the rogues normal escape ability.

Right. Escape Cape uses the Escape effect of the Rogue's ability but it comes from an item and thus stacks with everything except(!) the original Escape. So Escape + Escape Cape is NOT +100 deflection.

Same with the Mask's +50 deflection: it's Arcane Veil basically, but from an item. It stacks with everything exept the original Arcane Veil. So Arcane Veil + Mask of the Weyc is NOT +100 deflection.

BUT the Mask + the Cape IS +100 deflection which stacks with everything else (except Escape and Arcane Veil). Add Morrored Images (+25) and Llengrath's Safeguard (+20) and just like that you'll have +145 deflection which turns anybody into a great "deflector". I mean if you can keep it up. Besides Wall of Draining one could also use the Priest's Salvation of Time + Brilliant.

Obviously that's all late game stuff that is cool and all but really is just having fun in the late stages of the game. In order for a Riposte+Offensive Parry build to be fun to play (especially on PotD!) you need to make sure your char has very good deflection right out of the box. Then add all sorts of abilities, (party) buffs and items with deflection bonuses asap.

17 hours ago, Kaylon said:

Riposte is just a way to add a little free damage, it shouldn't be your main focus. Works better on tanks because they are attacked by multiple opponents and can trigger more ripostes. Probably a forbidden fist/trickster is the best candidate because he's tanky enough and ripostes can also chain trigger Swift Flurry/Heartbeat Drumming with Mohora Tanga. 

I tried a Soulblade/Shattered Pillar once because Offensive Parry (and maybe also Riposte, don't remember) generate wounds, work with Swift Flurry(HBD) and iirc Offensive Parry also generates focus (not 100% sure anymore). And of course WotEP's cone is nice and funky with Soul Annihilation (see clip below) It was fun but this is a pretty "narrow" build which is cool at one/two things and that's it. Stuff like Rogue/Wizard is more versatile (at least when one combines Riposte and Offensive Parry which is fun but very limiting setup) so it's more useful for me in a party setup. Riposte alone is so "random" to me that I don't find it very interesting to plan around it.  

Edit: I just remembered that the Outward Spikes ripost-ish enchantment of Tuotilo's Palm as well as the Flame Shield form Magran's Blessing to also trigger Swift Flurry/HbD attacks (with the main hand weapon - see Mohora Tanga). So maybe a Riposte Trickster/Monk would want to use Tuotilo's Palm. Unfortunatly with Outward Spikes you cannot have "Balanced Shield" anymore which I generally find to be more useful.

The clip that shows the weird workings of WotEP's cone + Soul Annihilation:

SA_WotEP.gif?dl=1

---

I also had fun with Offensive Parry as a Bloodmage/Steel Garrote where Offensive Parry dazes automatically, unlocking the Steel Garrote health drain which counters the Bloodmage's self damage from Blood Sacrifice. I was casting all the time though and just used the Offensive Parry as bonus "fuel" for Blood Sacrifice and tankyness and not as the main source of damage or so. I think that was the most overall useful character with Offensive Parry which resembles somthing like a "Riposte build". No real (Rogue) Riposte there though. 

I thought I made a clip of that but cannot find it atm. :( 

Edit: only found a screenshot of the character with it's general item setup and what's that doing for the deflection:

steel_g_Bloodm_AK.png?dl=1

Edit: then found a clip for Trickster/Unbroken (I think), but's it's a webm format and this forum doesn't support that it seems. 

Edit: aaand found an animated gif of a Trickster/Steel Garrote:

Steel_trick.gif?dl=1

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods