Anime and Manga - I won’t allow your bones to stay on this planet. I will banish your evil soul.

Sarex

2 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

This is something that often bewilders and amuses me with shows/movies: having a character do something or fill a role that should really realistically be filled by someone that has not hitherto appeared, but instead they come up with some excuse for a character that we already know to do it instead because...reasons. The reasons probably vary from show to show and situation to situation (don't want to take the time to design and/or setup a new character, don't want to find an actor that can fill the role when we could just write someone we already know and like to do it instead, want to give an existing character the role because it might be funny or interesting or make them seem like they have more depth or something), but there are still times where it kind of breaks my suspension of disbelief in the way that it happens.

Bonus points when the relevant skill is only used once and never brought up again. Like Ami's ability to seal off a bubble of space time to lock away the bad guys in the manga. :no:

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Chainsaw Man 1-3

I tried watching this to fall asleep but ended up interested enough to stay up. Between watching this and Hellraiser last night I had a dream with body horror caused by some kind of liquid that mutated things into Eldritch Abominations, the end of which involved the remains of a man getting dipped into a pool of water with the liquid in it and coming back as a human torso with bloated tentacles and a disfigured smile. I am now convinced that this is the origin of Bruno.

Anyways Chainsaw Man was enjoyable. The protagonist is shonen as shonen can be, but it's played more fun than anything. I think the main girl is a Camellia-tier yandere but we'll just see how that goes. Next up is Narutaru.

• Haha 3

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Found out the new Dragon Prince season is out. I'm about 20 mins into the new episode and ... it's absolutely terrible so far. Jesus Christ, I'm cringing hard. Also was the art style always this bad? Gotta have to go back to an earlier episode and check...

/Edit: Episode 2 is full with fart jokes. Great writing, guys.

/Edit: Episode 3 and another fart joke.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

25 minutes ago, majestic said:
if (anime.productionDate > 2003) return true;

But Evangelion 3.0+1.0 ending scenes were peak animation.

Spoiler

Search your heart majestic, you know it to be true.

Spoiler

86e.png

• Haha 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Rewatched a couple of the early season one Cardcaptor Sakura episodes due to a colleague now watching the series. Episode seven remains a fantastic piece that showed how great the resolutions of the magical 'fights' can be and just how well everything is set up. Such an impeccable, low stakes show - at least, until the point where they tried their hand at being more epic near the end of the series and failed a little, even if the second arc / third 'season' contain the two strongest episodes of the series.

Spoiler

Sakura captures a card hiding in a painting whose only power is to enforce silence around it, and send people outside of a museum if they are too noisy. She eventually manages to capture it by using the Shadow Card to create a soundless shadowplay that extends her magical reach, an idea perfectly set up earlier to scare off a little unexpected interloper.

Watching Sakura being all infatuated with Yukito is actually worse the second time around when you already know the sort of heart-break this will lead to. It is quickly over when it comes because that's just the way she is, but hey... the series should get all the credit for actually going there, because I really thought they'd write this more indirectly, with Shaoran slowly replacing Yukito as focus point for Sakura's feelings.

Sailor Mercury is a hoot as Kero too. In the end, aside from having a unique approach to the fighting in magical girl shows, the series stays close to genre convetions and standard tropes, including an incredibly obvious future boyfriend setup, but it does trod off the beaten path every now and then, and it does everything so incredibly well it is barely believable at times, and it will only get better from this episode on, until the end of the first arc.

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, majestic said:

if (anime.productionDate > 2003) return true;

00227d736e4dbc4a1fc030419fea5fb4e79cb56f

• Gasp! 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

18 minutes ago, Sarex said:

On a serious note The Garden of Words is a masterpiece in animation.

All of you stop growing my watchlist or I will spam this thread with capybaras.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Sarex said:

On a serious note The Garden of Words is a masterpiece in animation.

I1mA3od.gif

5 hours ago, KP From Another World said:

All of you stop growing my watchlist or I will spam this thread with capybaras.

It's a soft piano drama. Seriously, read this synopsis:

Spoiler

Takao, who is training to become a shoemaker, skipped school and is sketching shoes in a Japanese-style garden. He meets a mysterious woman, Yukino, who is older than him. Then, without arranging the times, the two start to see each other again and again, but only on rainy days. They deepen their relationship and open up to each other. But the end of the rainy season soon approaches...

How much more soft piano drama can you get? In fact, the first and most highly upvoted tag for every single movie made by the director/writer is "drama"...and if there were "soft piano drama" or "teenage melodrama" tags instead, I'm sure those would be at the top as well.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

59 minutes ago, Sarex said:

So? That makes it bad?

The fifteen minutes of pure anime melodrama terror and pain that I sat through after you recommended it to me a couple of years ago says YES! ...No, wait, I mean no: "bad" is subjective. But would I blindly recommend it without giving some idea of what kind of film it is while just saying "it's a masterpiece of animation"? No, no I would not. Now while I know how you feel about these kinds of films, I don't think I've ever heard KP much mention them in either a positive or negative light, so I think the warning is apropos. If that's the kind of film one is in the mood for...well, that's fine.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

19 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

The fifteen minutes of pure anime melodrama terror and pain that I sat through after you recommended it to me a couple of years ago says YES! ...No, wait, I mean no: "bad" is subjective. But would I blindly recommend it without giving some idea of what kind of film it is while just saying "it's a masterpiece of animation"? No, no I would not. Now while I know how you feel about these kinds of films, I don't think I've ever heard KP much mention them in either a positive or negative light, so I think the warning is apropos. If that's the kind of film one is in the mood for...well, that's fine.

Ah, so you tried it. Fair shake then. If you mentioned it before, I forgot, I'm sorry about that.

I like the story of it too, but I was aiming more at the animation itself, the art. But if we are on the topic of the story, Violet Evergarden was pretty much a drama too (although not a soft piano one) and people liked it well enough in this thread. That is the reason why I don't shy away from recommending those.

Again it was more of a push back towards what majestic said than me trying to recommend it to anyone, but that is not to say that I do not recommend it.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

It's a soft piano drama.

Ok. I'm still going to check it out. In several weeks at best. First I have to watch Narutaru.

• Gasp! 2

1 hour ago, Sarex said:

Ah, so you tried it. Fair shake then. If you mentioned it before, I forgot, I'm sorry about that.

I like the story of it too, but I was aiming more at the animation itself, the art. But if we are on the topic of the story, Violet Evergarden was pretty much a drama too (although not a soft piano one) and people liked it well enough in this thread. That is the reason why I don't shy away from recommending those.

Again it was more of a push back towards what majestic said than me trying to recommend it to anyone, but that is not to say that I do not recommend it.

Yeah, I don't remember much about its animation, so I can't really disagree or agree. I probably wasn't super keen on it, but that's more to do with the aesthetic, which is very related but not quite the same thing.

Edited by Bartimaeus

11 minutes ago, majestic said:

RD8BUq7.png

Oh right, first I have to be watched by Narutaru, as it is an Eldritch Entity in the form of an anime series.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, KP From Another World said:

Oh right, first I have to be watched by Narutaru, as it is an Eldritch Entity in the form of an anime series.

Well, your mileage may vary, but I find it rather unnerving.

Spy x Family 18

noteleganto.png

Anya panics when she realizes that she won’t be able to cheat the exams. Yuri comes to instruct her. I think this is a good moment to remember she is 4 years old and pretending to be 6.

Spoiler

After getting a bad grade in a test (“Not eleganto.”), she decides to read Damian’s mind during the exam, but she has to abandon that plan when she finds out the exam will happen during the new moon and she loses her telepathy when it’s the new moon.confused.png.32c5d2a072ecd70d1035086796733a11.png

Anya has to study hard and Yuri comes to help. She quickly finds a way to manipulate Yuri using his love for Yor, but they end up studying the wrong subject and just wasting their time.

c653f8e29806cce240b529895fa89dca6e3c6ca9

Loid is forced to invade the ultra security safe with the tests to guarantee that Anya will at least no fail. He is forced to deal with another agent sent to do something similar but in the end Anya avoided failing on her own.😓

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

sign.jpg