Anime and Manga - I respect the first human to have eaten a mushroom

Sarex

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I was pretty tempted to make a gif of a particular scene of that car moving because I was so dumbfounded that they would ever possibly think that they could animate it that way and not have it look utterly atrocious, but it's pretty difficult to make gifs on the Netflix player. I actually yelped out a "WHAT?" when I saw it. Goodness gracious, put just a tiny bit of effort into it, please.

I think that my distaste of CGI is pretty well documented by now but...

Spoiler

CGI vehicles are especially bad. Doubly so when the rest looks hand drawn. I have never seen it done well. Never. I can understand the budgetary concerns that drive this stuff but it looks so bad it'd be better off just getting scrapped.

With their recent financial troubles and signals that they're no longer going to be doing "expensive vanity projects" (ie the movies that are actually good), I will bet that Netflix doubles down on making/acquiring cheap cgi anime and Stranger things knockoffs. So more cars that makes us want to tear our eyes out or become the Joker.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

Tensura Nikki... just watching a few of those "unessential" side story episodes, that takes place in parallel with season 1. Somebody points out The Emperor (Rimuru) isn't wearing any clothes 😂

• Haha 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

19 hours ago, Gorth said:

Tensura Nikki... just watching a few of those "unessential" side story episodes, that takes place in parallel with season 1. Somebody points out The Emperor (Rimuru) isn't wearing any clothes 😂

I didn't watch these episodes. Are they any good?

I do remember one episode in the beginning of season 2 (I think) when the girls make some clothes for Rimuru and it looked like this other series. It didn't do much for the story, but it was funny at least.

sign.jpg

2 hours ago, InsaneCommander said:

I didn't watch these episodes. Are they any good?

I do remember one episode in the beginning of season 2 (I think) when the girls make some clothes for Rimuru and it looked like this other series. It didn't do much for the story, but it was funny at least.

I think it might have been this one... Shuna and Shion loves dressing him up in girls clothes because of his androgynous looks finding him just soooo "Kawaii!" 😂

(it's part of slime diaries, i.e. the series of side stories happening in parallel with season 1, season 2 is about Rimuru's ascension to Demon Lord as far as I understand it, I haven't watched season 2 yet)

Edit: The whole side story is a bit of a paradox as Rimuru got the ability to take on human form because of Shizu's death. I.e. they could not have met each other in human form in the streets

• Gasp! 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

5 hours ago, Sarex said:

**** yes!

LcNX.gif

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

Will it be as good though (I still haven't started reading the series yet...)

• Gasp! 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

11 minutes ago, Amentep said:

Will it be as good though (I still haven't started reading the series yet...)

You should. I think Miura is probably the manga/comic artist that best manages to do both beautiful and horrifying often at the same time.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Amentep said:

Will it be as good though

Probably like the Wheel of Time, much faster to come out, but a different shade of color. I'm still happy to have some closure with the story. It will be interesting to see how much his apprentice learned.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

5 hours ago, KP wants Blue Velvet said:

You should. I think Miura is probably the manga/comic artist that best manages to do both beautiful and horrifying often at the same time.

Its on my list, but I'm woefully behind on everything.  A volume of Junji Ito stories, Kazuo Umezz's Orochi, and a few others.  I think I may be a volume behind on Glepnir.  Going to try to priortize getting to it - I've wanted to read it for years but never have gotten to it.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Don't know why, but I remembered this anime all of a sudden. It's about an android helping a grieving girl to get over her boyfriends death. I think most of the people here would like it.

6 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Don't know why, but I remembered this anime all of a sudden. It's about an android helping a grieving girl to get over her boyfriends death. I think most of the people here would like it.

Are you challenging me?

6 minutes ago, Sarex said:

most

Oh, well, carry on then.

• Haha 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

34 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Are you challenging me?

Oh, well, carry on then.

I think @majestic would like it.

But for you I think you should give A Silent Voice another shot (as in make it past the first 5 minutes) if not Wolf Children is also great (although I think the animation for that one may not be your cup of tea).

Edited by Sarex
  • Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, Sarex said:

I think @majestic would like it.

But for you I think you should give A Silent Voice another shot (as in make it past the first 5 minutes) if not Wolf Children is also great (although I think the animation for that one may not be your cup of tea).

I have Wolf Children bookmarked from when I looked at a whole pile of modern-ish "prestige" anime films way, way back when I was first starting to try out anime...which I got through probably like ten of and was like "holy crap these are all just the worst" and stopped, so I never got around to it. I think Your Name, which I watched much later because I burnt out on trying them, was the only one of that group that I even semi-liked.

I really, really don't feel as though A Silent Voice can work for me - the film-making sensibilities of that film were so repulsive to me that I was instantly hoping for bad things to happen to the characters. It's possible I was in an extraordinarily terrible mood when I tried it, but I feel as though you're not supposed to turn into a raging psychopath within the first 5-10 minutes of a film like A Silent Voice if it's going to work for you.

• Thanks 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

The Rising of the Shield Hero 2.10

This episode was really rushed, like they were trying to condense many volumes of the manga in one anime episode or something. At times they quickly jumped from one scene to another and I wondered if I pressed a button somehow and skipped part of the story.

Raphtalia is taken to a prison where a special spell drains the prisoners’ energy and the guards have a talisman that does the opposite. She ends up in the same cell as the heroes native to this world (Glass, L’Arc Gurass, L’Aracu and Therese), the same ones that she and her friends both fought against and worked with before. She uses an illusion to fool the guard, taking his talisman and handling it to Gurass. After that escaping is easier than losing money when Raphtalia is hungry. Since she is still growing as she levels up, they have to spend almost all of their money with food. 😂

Later they find out that a new hero will be selected in the city, one that will become the Katana Hero. As they approach the place where the weapon is kept (waiting for someone worthy to successfully draw it from the ground, like Excalibur), they see that the candidate is Kazuki, the same guy who captured Raphtalia. When he tries to touch the Katana, it teleports itself to Raphtalia’s hands, since it is the weapon that chooses who will wield it. This was very satisfying. Take that, you jerk!

The Katana removes Raphtalia’s slave brande and finishes her process of growing up and becoming an adult again. Apparently she was so used to being short that she has trouble walking, occasionally falling to the floor for no reason.

Eventually she has to face Kizuki in combat and despite his insistence, she easily wins, destroying two monsters and leaving him with a wound that will kill him if he moves soon. But as she is trying to leave, tired to the point of being barely capable of standing, another monster appears and she is saved at the last moment by Naofumi and the others.

Screenshot-6000-1024x576.png

sign.jpg

Komi can't Komi-san. Somewhere, somehow, with the last three episodes, this stopped being terrible and went to being mediocre, so I really didn't post much about it. This week's episode has some really nice moments, which is such a weird contrast compared to the rest of the series.

Spoiler

Komi actually talks to Tadano too. It only took her 19 episodes, but it finally happened.

Series toned down Najimi a little and kept the other creeps squared away for the most part. It's done wonders for my, well, don't want to call it enjoyment of the series, but it is making watching these much less of a chore.

Edited by majestic
  • Gasp! 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

On 6/8/2022 at 4:24 PM, InsaneCommander said:

The Katana removes Raphtalia’s slave brande and finishes her process of growing up and becoming an adult again. Apparently she was so used to being short that she has trouble walking, occasionally falling to the floor for no reason.

This sounds like it's just a transparent excuse for having her fall and look "cute". Is that the case? :getlost:

@majestic Sorry to hear that, I'm sure they'll get back on track soon.

Edited by Bartimaeus
I am the bad at words
  • Haha 3

19 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

This sounds like it's just a transparent excuse for her having fall and look "cute". Is that the case? :getlost:

Then let's not discuss how they made her grow up fast so that small dress she was using (look at very beginning of the video I posted) would become even smaller in proportion to her body and she had to get naked and change...

• Gasp! 2

sign.jpg

22 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

@majestic Sorry to hear that, I'm sure they'll get back on track soon.

Hate-watching would make for more entertaining posts, I guess, but I think I prefer this non-offensive, somewhat mediocre Komi for the time being. :yes:

• Sad 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Spy x Family 10

dodge.jpg

Another episode in the school, pretty straightforward. Anya and Damian are still fighting and both want to earn a star to join the elite group of students. Their first chance, they believe, is in a game of dogdeball.

Spoiler

Despite being trained by Yor and cheating with her telepathic abilities to dodge, Anya is too weak to throw the ball properly and ends up being eliminated after being the last one left on her team.

But what could they do when the other class had a supposedly 6 year old that looks and sounds like an adult. Wtf?

Damian sacrificed himself to protect Anya, another hint that he has feelings for her, but they end up fighting again since the sacrifice was in vain.

• Gasp! 1

sign.jpg

Still can't tell if I like or hate the look of that show.

• Haha 1

Netflix has a Dragon Age anime. I'm not watching it.

• Like 1