The All Things Political Topic - Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is an absurd one

Gorth

3 hours ago, alanschu said:

It's very entertaining in Canada as a lot of the conservative wing says the world needs to buy our oil instead of oil from dictators, while the base for those politicians strongly feel that our Prime Minister is also a dictator.

Hey look what the cat dragged in! Nice to see you back Alan!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

3 hours ago, alanschu said:

It's very entertaining in Canada as a lot of the conservative wing says the world needs to buy our oil instead of oil from dictators, while the base for those politicians strongly feel that our Prime Minister is also a dictator.

Albertae delenda est.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

3 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Hi Alan, nice to hear from you again 8)

I have often wondered how you were keeping because I will always remember the interesting debates we use to have on certain topics.

I see their is a new DA4 game in development, it looks interesting and I will be definitely be playing it 

A DA4 is indeed in development.

Although today is actually my last day at BioWare. Got a really interesting and dorky opportunity with Epic Games that I start on the 18th!

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, alanschu said:

I def had to google this but lmao.

Wife is from Texas so both our home areas getting hit with a lot lately.

Ahh, Alberta's fine, about the same level as Ontario really in terms of having idiots that think or want to be in America - had a "conversation" with one guy here who thought the Confederate Flag wasn't inherently racist and is just standing up for your rights, for example. 

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Just now, Malcador said:

Ahh, Alberta's fine, about the same level as Ontario really in terms of having idiots that think or want to be in America - had a "conversation" with one guy here who thought the Confederate Flag wasn't inherently racist and is just standing up for your rights, for example. 

Yeah I find the Confederate flag fliers here surreal. Hits Taylor a bit more than I as it's much, MUCH more prevalent in Texas.

11 minutes ago, alanschu said:

Yeah I find the Confederate flag fliers here surreal. Hits Taylor a bit more than I as it's much, MUCH more prevalent in Texas.

It's pretty prevalent in most US rural areas, up to the northern border. It's both weird and makes some sense that they'd show up in Canada too.

I'm from Texas and haven't seem that many, but Houston is different.

Edited by KP wants Blue Velvet

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

23 minutes ago, KP wants Blue Velvet said:

It's pretty prevalent in most US rural areas, up to the northern border. It's both weird and makes some sense that they'd show up in Canada too.

I'm from Texas and haven't seem that many, but Houston is different.

My wife is from Granbury so I mean, when your town is named after a Confederate General........ lol

5 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

Welcome back @alanschuand good luck on the Lego games. At least, that is my guess on what you are doing at Epic. It better not be Fortnite. :p 

It is not haha. More backend-y type of stuff that I can't speak too much about at the moment 😛

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, alanschu said:

My wife is from Granbury so I mean, when your town is named after a Confederate General........ lol

Oh yeah, small towns in Texas are usually pretty bad. Especially if they're out of the way of the triangle.

4 minutes ago, alanschu said:

It is not haha. More backend-y type of stuff that I can't speak too much about at the moment 😛

As long as it's not NFTs.

Edited by KP wants Blue Velvet

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

7 minutes ago, KP wants Blue Velvet said:

As long as it's not NFTs.

Why? Don't you want to buy this nifty NFT I have for sale.

Spoiler

v5z2tbefzti51.jpg

• Haha 2
  • Gasp! 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

4 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Hey look what the cat dragged in! Nice to see you back Alan!

Interestingly I logged in because I was talking hockey with Deraldin on Steam and I double checked that I created this account not long after Calgary lost in the Stanley Cup Finals. Was in fact 3 days after lol.

1 hour ago, alanschu said:

Interestingly I logged in because I was talking hockey with Deraldin on Steam and I double checked that I created this account not long after Calgary lost in the Stanley Cup Finals. Was in fact 3 days after lol.

I miss the NHL thread we used to have here, but it isn't the same without Volo and Krookie.

9 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

I miss the NHL thread we used to have here, but it isn't the same without Volo and Krookie.

I am fickle and often have too much on my plate so I'm not around here very often anymore either.

But that McDavid guy is pretty good. Much better than that bum Auston!!11 lol

15 minutes ago, alanschu said:

I am fickle and often have too much on my plate so I'm not around here very often anymore either.

But that McDavid guy is pretty good. Much better than that bum Auston!!11 lol

But Mitch Marner is better than whoever is the 2nd best player on Edmonton. 

Not that either team will win the Cup, since they don't know how to play defense. :p

I am rooting for the Panthers and Father Time Joe Thornton. 

4 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

But Mitch Marner is better than whoever is the 2nd best player on Edmonton. 

Not that either team will win the Cup, since they don't know how to play defense. :p

I am rooting for the Panthers and Father Time Joe Thornton. 

Oh man I don't follow the league too closely anymore (mostly just track Oilers progress after games) but he's still going eh!? I'm down for him winning. Also always nice to see a new team win the cup.

Also uh, to keep it on topic for Politics... uh, it'd be good news for some Florida people too? 👀

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alanschu said:

Oh def not. Not a fan of those in general, let alone in games!

Ok that's good. I hope whatever it is turns out to be cool, or at the very least easy for you to deal with.

2 hours ago, Sarex said:

Why? Don't you want to buy this nifty NFT I have for sale.

Reveal hidden contents

v5z2tbefzti51.jpg

It's my NFT now.

86e.png

• Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

It's actually funny, my time in gamedev has actually softened me a lot towards piracy (my politics in general have shifted left quite a bit too), so when I hear about ways to restrict access to digital goods I'm pretty against the idea on that principle in general. Ideally scarcity isn't an issue for things!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, alanschu said:

It's actually funny, my time in gamedev has actually softened me a lot towards piracy (my politics in general have shifted left quite a bit too), so when I hear about ways to restrict access to digital goods I'm pretty against the idea on that principle in general. Ideally scarcity isn't an issue for things!

Well I don't want to endorse piracy on a forum where that is against the rules, but....a lot of IP holders really do it to themselves. I'll leave it at that instead of invoking Nintendo's wrath. 

In a lot of ways NFTs really are the antithesis of memes and I have a suspicion that they were created with the intent of making the internet worse.

22 minutes ago, Sarex said:

But is it really?

Reveal hidden contents

86e.jpg.cafe7dd33bec816ede909e487ea6e084.jpg

Yes.

It_Was_Me__Dio!.jpg

• Haha 1

“The diligence and sophistication of those the defendant and his co-conspirators targeted during this scheme to defraud are not appropriate considerations at trial,” prosecutors noted. “Indeed, in proving a scheme to defraud, the government is ‘not required to show that the intended victim was actually defrauded.’ […] Nor should the defendant be able to use his and his co-conspirators’ own ruse against their victims by suggesting that, had they only asked certain questions or taken certain steps, they would have known that they were being provided false or misleading information.” [citations omitted]

the sucker born every minute defense? 

well, ok then.

on a lighter note...

also,

edit:

and is good to know not every person from tennessee supports book burning... or is a gop law maker

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

3 minutes ago, KP wants Blue Velvet said:

Well I don't want to endorse piracy on a forum where that is against the rules, but....a lot of IP holders really do it to themselves. I'll leave it at that instead of invoking Nintendo's wrath. 

Yeah I get it and I don't go tell people to do so either. I just ran up against people who legit bought games get burned by DRM and that can really suck. Especially with the mid 2000s and early 2010s when some of it was getting pretty aggressive so greater chance of catching innocent people which is never easy. Sucks to be working with someone on tech support for their issues and it's just like "I have no idea why/how this is the case and I have no solutions for you"