Anime and Manga - ゴゴゴゴ

PK htiw klaw eriF

3 hours ago, majestic said:

They're all named after musicians or groups. Santana and Lisa Lisa are too, as is SHIIIIIISAAAAAAA's last name. JoJo's is an endless well of music references.  

I was recently informed that the Bangles' Walk Like an Egyptian apparently shows up at some point during Stardust Crusaders, because it happened to also appear in Gilmore Girls and the person I was talking to about it knew it from there. I suppose it's appropriate enough for that particular chapter of JoJo.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

1 minute ago, Bartimaeus said:

I was recently informed that the Bangles' Walk Like an Egyptian apparently shows up at some point during Stardust Crusaders, because it happened to also appear in Gilmore Girls and the person I was talking to about it knew it from there. I suppose it's appropriate enough for that particular chapter of JoJo.

Yep, when they set out on their quest to save HORRY. Uhm, Holly. Had a good chuckle out of it, and it's a good song too. :)

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

15 hours ago, Gorth said:

JoJo and Caesar are no match for the villains, who wipe the floor with them, being too unimportant to even kill. However, JoJo, being his charming self (i.e. constantly aggravating) manages to goad them into a challenge. He'll improve his skills so much in a month, that he'll offer them a good fight. Being proud (and vain) super villains, of course they can't resist such a challenge. To add pressure on JoJo, they place poison rings around his aorta and his windpipe, which will dissolve and kill him in 30 something days or so. The only way to safely dispose of them are an antidote for each of the two poisons, carried in the nose piercings of AC/DC and Wham. JoJo and Caesar does the training together, but of course are not exactly the super heroes their ancestors were, but still manage to dispatch AC/DC through some nice team work.

Lisa-Lisa3.png

• Gasp! 1

sign.jpg

9 hours ago, majestic said:

Yep, when they set out on their quest to save HORRY. Uhm, Holly. Had a good chuckle out of it, and it's a good song too. :)

Excuse you, it's Seiko.

9 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

It is and it isn't. See....

Stardust Crusaders in the anime gets divided into two parts, traveling to Egypt and traveling in Egypt. Walk Like An Egyptian plays in the former part, with only the very last episode actually having the JoJo gang in Egypt. Which is funny when you think about it, they walked like an Egyptian until they reached Egypt, after which they took the last train home until DIO was defeated and THE WORLD was destroyed.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

1 hour ago, majestic said:

何?

Before the vines, Holly asks Joesph to call her Seiko, because that's (close to) holy in Japanese and what her friends call her.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

Finished the season of JoJo I started. Some things didn't make sense to me 🤔

I know, it's all bizarre and nobody talks normally int he universe (everybody always screaming in most dramatic ways) and Bram Stokers Dracula is unrecognizable... but there were a few things where the internal logic either failed or explained things in ways that went over my head.

So the "men in the pillar" were an ancient race having been around for more than 10000 years. Basically a race of vampires predating human civilization. Always few in numbers, few kids as a result of few deaths. An internal power struggle killed off most of them except two adults and two babies. Cars presumably being one of the adults. Appearing to be the victor as well as the instigator of the infighting. Wanting to "conquer the sun", so his people were not condemned to seek shelter in daylight.

What is not properly explained is, who created the stone masks? The "men in the pillar"? If so, why didn't they create them so they could use them themselves? The human vampires created by the masks had no immunity to sunshine, why would the "men in the pillar" gain immunity then? Were Wham and AC/DC the two babies? If so, who was the other adult? Where did Santana enter the picture? He got labeled and some kind of lowly "slave" almost to the "men in the pillar".

Who put the men in the pillar? What is/was the pillar?

In the meantime, watching Dropkick my Devil episode 2... the downside to not being able to afford an airconditioner

pETXQQw.jpg

• Hmmm 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

13 hours ago, KP the Torque Dork said:

Reveal hidden contents

Before the vines, Holly asks Joesph to call her Seiko, because that's (close to) holy in Japanese and what her friends call her.

Oh, right, I had forgotten about that. It comes up like once in the beginning. :)

• Gasp! 1

7 hours ago, Gorth said:

What is not properly explained is, who created the stone masks? The "men in the pillar"? If so, why didn't they create them so they could use them themselves? The human vampires created by the masks had no immunity to sunshine, why would the "men in the pillar" gain immunity then? Were Wham and AC/DC the two babies? If so, who was the other adult? Where did Santana enter the picture? He got labeled and some kind of lowly "slave" almost to the "men in the pillar".

Who put the men in the pillar? What is/was the pillar?

Kars created the masks. The ones he created did work for the Pillar Men, but it wasn't enough to make them immune to the sun/THE ULTIMATE LIFEFORM and just made them more powerful but also hungrier (like it does with humans). Kars created the mask with a stone hole in it to overcome the limits of the regular masks.

Kars and AC/DC were the adults, Whammu and Santana were the babies. Santana got left behind because he wasn't up to par I guess.

The men put themselves in the pillar, I assume it's something that Kars made for them to hibernate in.

This is dumped in one of the last episodes over maybe 2 minutes when it goes over Kars' backstory. It's very much telling not showing and easy to miss.

Anyways I hoped you liked the show and come back for s2, where DIO returns.

25-253558_jojo-bizarre-adventure-dio-pos

• Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1

22 hours ago, KP the Torque Dork said:

Hide contents

Kars created the masks. The ones he created did work for the Pillar Men, but it wasn't enough to make them immune to the sun/THE ULTIMATE LIFEFORM and just made them more powerful but also hungrier (like it does with humans). Kars created the mask with a stone hole in it to overcome the limits of the regular masks.

Kars and AC/DC were the adults, Whammu and Santana were the babies. Santana got left behind because he wasn't up to par I guess.

The men put themselves in the pillar, I assume it's something that Kars made for them to hibernate in.

This is dumped in one of the last episodes over maybe 2 minutes when it goes over Kars' backstory. It's very much telling not showing and easy to miss.

Anyways I hoped you liked the show and come back for s2, where DIO returns.

25-253558_jojo-bizarre-adventure-dio-pos

Thanks for the clarifications 👍

Yes, bits and pieces of that probably disappeared into black holes in my mind, as it might have happened rather fast in passing 😊

It is generally overly dramatic and stylistic, but I liked it. I might not be able to binge watch a second season immediately after finishing the first, but give it a week or two and I'll look for seasons 2. I couldn't find anything explicitly labeled season 2 though. Just as season 1 wasn't actually labeled season 1 as far as I know. Which one is the next one to look for (once I'm done with Drop kick on my Devil)?

• Gasp! 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

14 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Thanks for the clarifications 👍

Yes, bits and pieces of that probably disappeared into black holes in my mind, as it might have happened rather fast in passing 😊

It is generally overly dramatic and stylistic, but I liked it. I might not be able to binge watch a second season immediately after finishing the first, but give it a week or two and I'll look for seasons 2. I couldn't find anything explicitly labeled season 2 though. Just as season 1 wasn't actually labeled season 1 as far as I know. Which one is the next one to look for (once I'm done with Drop kick on my Devil)?

48 episode-long Stardust Crusaders.

Season 1, 26 episodes: Phantom Blood / Battle Tendency
Season 2, 48 episodes: Stardust Crusaders
Season 3, 39 episodes: Diamond Is Unbreakable
Season 4, 39 episodes: Golden Wind
Season 5, TBD: Stone Ocean

Also, "Thus Spoke Kishibe Rohan", a short 4-episode side-story thing, came out in between Diamond Is Unbreakable and Golden Wind.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1
  • Gasp! 3

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

47 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Yeah, a lot of it happens when it does the flashback for Kars and can be missed over Kars and his ally wiping out the rest of the pillar people or air guitaring on Lisa Lisa's leg.

50 minutes ago, Gorth said:

I think you said you were watching on Crunchyroll, so what @Bartimaeus posted above is mostly correct. Except that crunchyroll divides Stardust Crusaders into two parts, the latter of which has the tagline "Battle in Egypt". And right now Stone Ocean and Thus Spoke Rohan Kishibe are only on Netflix, but that may change.

7 minutes ago, KP the Torque Dork said:

Yeah, a lot of it happens when it does the flashback for Kars and can be missed over Kars and his ally wiping out the rest of the pillar people or air guitaring on Lisa Lisa's leg.

I think you said you were watching on Crunchyroll, so what @Bartimaeus posted above is mostly correct. Except that crunchyroll divides Stardust Crusaders into two parts, the latter of which has the tagline "Battle in Egypt". And right now Stone Ocean and Thus Spoke Rohan Kishibe are only on Netflix, but that may change.

Yeah, no netflix here, so I'll look at crunchyroll. I don't mind spending like $15 to actually purchase a season on Amazon like I did with Mieruko-chan (which I quite liked), but free is definitely preferably 😇

So Stardust Crusaders / Battle in Egypt it is for me, I suppose

• Like 1

Well I gave Dropkick My Devil a spin and it's ok. In terms of format it's like Way of the Househusband, but instead of a former yakuza who likes cooking it's about some wacky demon girls and a lady with some severe sadism. The vignettes are really hit or miss and are often repetitive, but the show has a low stakes charm that makes it fun enough to watch.

• Hmmm 1
  • Sad 1

Space Cobra Episode XII: "Osorubeshi Saishūheiki" aka "The Dreadful Ultimate Weapon"

When last we left Cobra, he was himself left flatfooted as he was outsmarted by Sandra, leader of the Snow Gorillas, to the Ultimate Weapon.

cobra1.png.f7784fad84dd1e810c7f82859a5973d0.png

"Shiny!"

Spoiler

Sandra attacks Cobra with a sword, and Cobra goofs around and escapes her wrath.

cobrasandraattacks.png.5a76d1255fad386c5f4031d22c1a4f6b.png

"Sandra attacks Cobra with a sword" or "hilarious image taken out of context"

Unable to defeat Cobra, who floats like a butterfly, and cowers like a lost puppy, Sandra triggers the Ultimate Weapon to transform again to defeat Cobra.  This time, the Ultimate Weapon makes Sandra a giant, all the better to crush the fleeing Cobra.

cobrasandragiant.png.b76cfce32c2ea5394af733bf6272e0db.png

"Congratulations! Your Sandra has evolved into GiantMurderousSandra!"

Giant Sandra knocks Cobra back into the temple pits, beats up the Turtle, kills her own men and then kills the Pirate's Guild members who demand she turn over the Ultimate Weapon to them.

cobrasandragiant2.png.7b9fc9e58a15c175757df7bae97e3211.png

"Poor Pirate's Guild flunky, we hardly knew ye..."

Meanwhile, Cobra escapes the Pit and follow after Sandra, with Dominique in tow.  Lady awaits Cobra's orders in the Turtle.  Coming across the now abandoned Black Sheep, Dominique and Cobra commandeer it so that Cobra can use it to attack Sandra when they catch up to her.  This forces her to evolve the weapon into its own tank to follow him under the sand, as he uses the same tactics her crew used on him to delay the Turtle in the previous episode.  Figuring out that it takes a few seconds for the Ultimate Weapon to recognize, can and upgrade, he then uses The Turtle to force Sandra to adapt to a flying ship.  As her tank tries to adapt, he uses the Tortuga to fling it into the remains of the Pyramid.

cobrasandraend.png.a07e7da2f04ce34250972bee3ac1ee1c.png

"The End"

This kills Sandra and renders the "Ultimate Weapon" inert and back in its egg shape.  Hey, someone had to have defeated the "Ultimate Weapon" once before, or else Nelson wouldn't have had it in his treasure!  Dominique doesn't want the "Ultimate Weapon", so Cobra tosses it away in the giant ocean on the alien planet, hiding its existence once more.

All in all, a pretty satisfactory opening adventure, IMO.

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

(Giant Sandra picture here)

I think that's enough Space Cobra for one lifetime. Although maybe the next lady that comes around won't be nearly so frightening...

...I have to tell you, I did a cursory search, and the BDs look so much nicer than whatever you're watching on:

QXdfCrpxWeJ.png

The prons and cons of bluray vs. random streaming service, I suppose...

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

(Giant Sandra picture here)

I think that's enough Space Cobra for one lifetime. Although maybe the next lady that comes around won't be nearly so frightening...

...I have to tell you, I did a cursory search, and the BDs look so much nicer than whatever you're watching on:

QXdfCrpxWeJ.png

The prons and cons of bluray vs. random streaming service, I suppose...

I'm watching it on bluray, but I'm posting screengrabs from youtube. Cause trying to get screengrabs from my bluray is a pain, which is why none of my earlier posts had screengrabs unless I could find one already online from the episode... :( 

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Although maybe the next lady that comes around won't be nearly so frightening...

Evil anime ladies are always frightening.

IMG_2562.png

25 minutes ago, Amentep said:

I'm watching it on bluray, but I'm posting screengrabs from youtube. Cause trying to get screengrabs from my bluray is a pain, which is why none of my earlier posts had screengrabs unless I could find one already online from the episode... :( 

Same here. Screengrabs are too much effort on my end.

• Hmmm 1

51 minutes ago, Amentep said:

Oh, thank goodness. They're certainly good enough for us getting the idea, but I shuddered at the thought of you watching it like that. Carry on in that case.

24 minutes ago, KP the Torque Dork said:

Evil anime ladies are always frightening.

Not sure if I should bring out the little girl that doesn't have fingernails from Cardcaptor Sakura to confirm your theory, or Sailor Iron Mouse to deny it.

24 minutes ago, KP the Torque Dork said:

Same here. Screengrabs are too much effort on my end.

Well, I certainly wouldn't ever make screengrabs if I was watching stuff on a TV from a DVD/BD player, that's for sure. On desktop, it takes roughly one second to make and upload a screenshot because I have a program that can take any given area and immediately upload it to my Dropbox for linking.

Like so: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ewek0zuw14niit6/firefox_78crvf0n0H.mp4

Edited by Bartimaeus
accidentally posted half-way through post
  • Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

Sailor Iron Mouse to deny it

Iron Mouse sure spooked her victims. They practically **** themselves when she would surprise them with "CHU!" before turning them into weird sailors. 

• Gasp! 1

2 hours ago, KP the Torque Dork said:

Iron Mouse sure spooked her victims. They practically **** themselves when she would surprise them with "CHU!" before turning them into weird sailors. 

Yeah, but she never actually hurt anybody, so really, it was all just a big misunderstanding. ...Though I am now reminded that she was murdered - as president of the Sailor Iron Mouse Super Fan Club (population: 1), I'm not exactly thrilled about remembering this, so thanks a lot, ;(.

• Sad 1

Of course My Dress-Up Darling is turning into a harem anime now and features the exact same levels of cringe. I don't understand why people want to watch this. And I'm not sure why I keep watching it. Maybe because it's just a weekly 20 minutes exposure?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

1 hour ago, Lexx said:

Of course My Dress-Up Darling is turning into a harem anime now and features the exact same levels of cringe. I don't understand why people want to watch this. And I'm not sure why I keep watching it. Maybe because it's just a weekly 20 minutes exposure?

You should really watch Love Love!, that never turns into a harem anime mostly because there simply are no men for all the girls to fuss over. :p

edit: Still lots of cringe and boob touching, though.

Edited by majestic

2 hours ago, Lexx said:

How is it turning in to a harem? Because there are multiple female characters and one male? There are hints of the FMC liking the MC, but it's more along the lines of her becoming self conscious around him. I even praise it because the story is not romance focused. The only thing you can blame it for is the fan service.

I read the manga though, I don't know if the anime changed the story.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

They introduced a new (female) character in the latest episode, who just took a bath at the main characters house for reasons. Obviously the guy storms into the bath, because he doesn't know who's in the house (could be a fraud or burglar!!!), and oh no, that girl is standing completely naked in front of him now. Then because of shock, she falls down and gives our male lead a full front view of all the goods.

By the way, that woman has the body of a young girl but as established in a later scene, she is actually older than the other characters around, because of course. This is cringe level over 9000.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."