Avowed and the races of Eora

UrbaNebula

So, based on the extremely limited information we have regarding Avowed, one thing we know for certain is that it will be played in first person. No information on whether third person will be an option. Personally I hope it will be, but it's not a deal breaker for me like it is for others (Those who suffer from motion sickness, etc)

One thing I'm most curious about is whether or not we will still get the option to play as the same races as in Pillars 1 and 2. This obviously includes races of varying stature, with the Aumaua, Dwarves and Orlans. From a first person perspective alone this will have a number of things to consider. The height of the camera above ground level, the movement restrictions and combat in general.

It also has to take into account the racial and political agendas throughout Eora. Personally, I'm not a big fan of games with conflicting information. Skyrim for instance, makes a point to mention that the Khajiit race are not trusted in Skyrim and are not allowed inside the cities throughout the region. However, if the player is a Khajiit, nobody bats an eyelid. If you're going to push the narrative that certain races don't belong, at least enforce that on the player as well, right?

Obsidian has a reputation for considerable player freedom, but I have to wonder if making Avowed specifically a first person RPG will restrict this sort of thing. Perhaps we can only play as a human. Maybe we even play a predetermined character this time around, and the player freedom comes in the form of that character's history and how their choices change them going forward.

I'm curious. What are your expectations in terms of the player character or the playable races in Avowed.

The closest to any information we got is this written Windows Central article. When it comes to "classes" and abilities It seems Avowed is paying a closer homage to Pillars of Eternity then I expected, so I wouldn't be shocked if there was a selection of races to choose from. Characters with various hights would present unique design challenges, but I also think it could be very interesting. I suppose it all depends on how the combat works. They could just stick to races of a more equal statue - like Human/elves/godlike. 

Everything so far indicates that Avowed will be first person only. 

Edited by Wormerine

On 12/13/2021 at 1:07 PM, the_dog_days said:

I think there will be a 3rd person camera, all the previously playable races will be playable, there will be companions and classes with Deadfire's multiclassing system. Nothing in the limited information available has given me any reason reconsider my predictions.

No TP camera was why they did not get an otherwise guaranteed sale from me for TOW. And if Avowed is supposed to be "Skyrim-like," then the one thing Skyrim did totally right was including a TP camera, no matter how imperfect it may have been. So, for me, and I imagine quite a number of others, no TP camera = no sale.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/13/2021 at 10:50 AM, Wormerine said:

The closest to any information we got is this written Windows Central article. When it comes to "classes" and abilities It seems Avowed is paying a closer homage to Pillars of Eternity then I expected, so I wouldn't be shocked if there was a selection of races to choose from. Characters with various hights would present unique design challenges, but I also think it could be very interesting. I suppose it all depends on how the combat works. They could just stick to races of a more equal statue - like Human/elves/godlike. 

Everything so far indicates that Avowed will be first person only. 

So Pillars of Eternity without all the useless filler that slogs gameplay to grinding halt and sometimes feels more like an academic field study than a video game?  Sign me up!  I love Pillars 2 but man the game drags sometimes..

Edited by ComradeYellow
  • Hmmm 2

• 1 month later...