Anime and Manga - < To Be Continued I \ I /

PK htiw klaw eriF

10 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Being aware of your own limitations in knowledge and intelligence automatically makes you less dumb than those who aren't, in my opinion. So by my estimation, Polnareff is still dumber, ;).

Oh no, Okuyasu really is dumber. However he's more enjoyable than Polnareff.

35 minutes ago, majestic said:

Time for a nap, I'll finish this later. Maybe I'll get lucky and die in my sleep.

Lali-ho.

28999725.gif

8 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Eh, brutally murdering kids isn't as bad as...whatever Pegasus was getting up to. Sort of.

I mean...

Kira's whole thing is murdering women so he can carry around their hands to pretend the hand is his girlfriend, all because as a kid he got a boner looking at the Mona Lisa. And he does murder another child later on (which he reverses because he can blow up time). But at least he never tries to **** a kid. So that's something I guess.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Gasp! 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

So how about this gif I "randomly" found on Google:

Hide contents

endless-trash.gif

P.S. Lindsay Ellis retired from the internet, :skull:.

Well, that sucks. Not really surprised, but that... sucks. :(

On the bright side though, Mr. Anderson said that he's finally going to be done "soon" with his final Witcher video, which I'm really looking forward to. He also finally seems to have caved and will upload it in parts. A year back he was "done" and had technical issues with breaking YouTube's upload limit with his 7 hour video, and now it's... uhm, 11 hours and some change that he will upload as eleven separate episodes. :p

Edited by majestic
  • Gasp! 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Okay this episode of Komi is where the anime finally goes off the deep end. This is it. Insane Stalker Girl (I think it was her) fakes fainting to be able to film under Komi‘s Maid Cafe skirt.

Silly me thought the sausage scene was as bad is it can get. 

• Confused 2

8 minutes ago, majestic said:

Okay this episode of Komi is where the anime finally goes off the deep end. This is it. Insane Stalker Girl (I think it was her) fakes fainting to be able to film under Komi‘s Maid Cafe skirt.

Silly me thought the sausage scene was as bad is it can get. 

You should know by now that there is never a bottom and it can (and usually will) get worse. I haven't watched the last three episodes but from what I gathered most of the supporting cast needs to get ora'd (or muda'd) into retirement.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

It's been a while since I posted something here. In the meantime, I finished Mieruko-chan 12 and Death Parade 10,11 & 12

Death Parade 10 is part more exposition about arbiters, Nona the supervisor and the afterlife plus a game of cards between a nice old lady and our dark haired woman (who now has a name, that I can't remember because it's so long since i watched it). Yes, the junior arbiter is up for judgement as it is not allowed for humans to stay in any of the bars in the tower. They slowly decay and turn into dead mannequins if dragging it out too long. The episode ends with the old lady winning and getting reincarnated. The dark haired woman regaining some of her memories from before she died.

Death Parade – 10 – RABUJOI – An Anime Blog

Episode 11 is about the dark haired women regaining more of her memories. Decim asks her to put on a skating outfit and do some figure skating. She remembers she used to be a professional ice skater until a knee injury ended her career at a young age. She managed to hide her following depression from her closest family and eventually slit her wrists one day (which is why she's now where she is). More stuff happening to the side characters, but this is sort of the main plot atm.

37 Ballroom e youkoso ideas | ballroom e youkoso, ballroom, anime

Rewatch][Spoilers] Death Parade Episode 11 - Memento Mori Discussion :  r/anime

(to be continued in a follow up post)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Komi Can't Communicate 9-11.

2d5b7-16383582748339-1920.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

13 hours ago, Gorth said:

She remembers she used to be a professional ice skater until a knee injury ended her career at a young age.

Oi, she took an arrow to her knee? :(

• Haha 1

GioGio’s Bizarre Adventure, Golden Wind 17-19

Melone decides to have a baby. GioGio and Mista enjoy the scenic view on a car trip to Venice.

Spoiler

The baby pisses on its mother before killing her. GioGio leaving a snake to kill Melone and his disgusting Stando is one of the most satisfying things in the whole series.

I wonder if Mista will recover his finger and if his face is still intact. Maybe GioGio is the one who reattached Abachio’s hand? Can he fix Mista, like he did with himself when Baby Face stole his eye?

Edited by InsaneCommander
  • Like 1

sign.jpg

26 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

GioGio and Mista enjoy the scenic view on a car trip to Venice

I think you mean Venezia.

400px-GhiaccioBestSquad.png

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

a22.gif

Omg, I just missed the opportunity to joke with that. I watched these episodes in the beginning of the week and only commented now, so I didn't remember everything.

It was one of the funnier gags in the show.

Okuyasu noises make me laugh much more than they should.

• Like 1

ViVid Strike! Episode 7 6. Episode count was wishful thinking on my part, I guess. That was 6... sigh.

The tournament begins, Rinne fights Miura and ends up breaking her ribs. That about sums up the episode.

Rinne is the bog standard martial arts final boss of a movie or TV show at this point, and it's about time Charlie Sheen hits her with some deadly sweets.

C-csZxkXsAAA-VW.jpg

edit:

Almost all of the actual episode seven is spent on Rinne fighting Vivio, and it's not over yet. Two episode fights, how awesome. This fight so far reminds me a little of the fight of the Exile againt Darth Scion insofar as Vivio is sapping Rinne's power by talking to her. Other than that it's a whole lot of testosterone pumping from Rinne, and the only thought on my mind is that Nanoha would have probably won by now. She'd Chinese Martial Arts master her ass and then just look sad. :p

edit 2:

Episode 8, Rinne expectedly downs Vivio, because how else is she going to fight either Einhart or Fuuka in the final.

Edited by majestic

18 minutes ago, majestic said:

ViVid Strike! Episode 7 6. Episode count was wishful thinking on my part, I guess. That was 6... sigh.

The tournament begins, Rinne fights Miura and ends up breaking her ribs. That about sums up the episode.

Rinne is the bog standard martial arts final boss of a movie or TV show at this point, and it's about time Charlie Sheen hits her with some deadly sweets.

C-csZxkXsAAA-VW.jpg

edit:

Almost all of the actual episode seven is spent on Rinne fighting Vivio, and it's not over yet. Two episode fights, how awesome. This fight so far reminds me a little of the fight of the Exile againt Darth Scion insofar as Vivio is sapping Rinne's power by talking to her. Other than that it's a whole lot of testosterone pumping from Rinne, and the only thought on my mind is that Nanoha would have probably won by now. She'd Chinese Martial Arts master her ass and then just look sad. :p

Reject cheesecake, Embrace JoJo.

480606d1b50da7e9e3ca65568736cf79.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, majestic said:

Episode 8, Rinne expectedly downs Vivio, because how else is she going to fight either Einhart or Fuuka in the final.

Not at all, apparently, because Vivio stands up and gives Rinne a well deserved lesson in humility. Uhm, writers... I mean I know I complained about how this looks like a dime a dozen martial arts tournament show, but what now? The bad guy is supposed to lose in the final fight after a dramatic match where the contender is almost down and then does what Vivio did here, not earlier.

edit:

Episode nine sees Rinne switch from being a testosterone driven shounen character to Shinji mode, moping around in her room. I don't know, I feel like these scenes would be more effective if Rinne was even a bit likable (beyond breaking bully faces, but even there she overdoes it, *melon squish*). Vivio drops out of the tournament because she suffered an injury in the fight against Rinne, making the final match Einhart against Fuuka.

edit 2:

Einhart promies Rinne a title match if she fights against Fuu and wins. Rinne is back to OVER NINE THOUSAND in an instance after moping and wanting to quit.

edit 3:

Oh no, the girls are going to go on a training camp to Lutecia's exile planet where the fight will also be held (apparently asatte, i.e. the day after tomorrow). Not entirely sure, the subtitles were a little too quick now. And yeah, that planet is the one with the hot springs. Please. No. Please. Don't do this. Not now. They agree on some sort of street fighter rules, i.e. no rules, and fighting until someone's down. That seems like a good idea given Rinne's inability to stop herself from smashing her contenders to bits.

edit 4:

The fight begins, and thankfully no hot springs visit yet, but that can always come later. End of episode.

edit 5:

Fuu and Rinne have a nice talk, actually, if they wouldn't be taunting and beating each other in the process that might even be a nice scene. Fuu tells Rinne that she learned a lot, from many people, but that Rinne is just shutting herself off from the world, and whacks her so hard she breaks Rinne's bones, who still keeps going. Sure. Why not. Rinne is doing an excessively long I HATE MYSELF inner monologue.

Edited by majestic
  • Confused 1

40 minutes ago, majestic said:

Not at all, apparently, because Vivio stands up and gives Rinne a well deserved lesson in humility. Uhm, writers... I mean I know I complained about how this looks like a dime a dozen martial arts tournament show, but what now? The bad guy is supposed to lose in the final fight after a dramatic match where the contender is almost down and then does what Vivio did here, not earlier.

edit:

Episode nine sees Rinne switch from being a testosterone driven shounen character to Shinji mode, moping around in her room. I don't know, I feel like these scenes would be more effective if Rinne was even a bit likable (beyond breaking bully faces, but even there she overdoes it, *melon squish*). Vivio drops out of the tournament because she suffered an injury in the fight against Rinne, making the final match Einhart against Fuuka.

edit 2:

Einhart promies Rinne a title match if she fights against Fuu and wins. Rinne is back to OVER NINE THOUSAND in an instance after moping and wanting to quit.

edit 3:

Oh no, the girls are going to go on a training camp to Lutecia's exile planet where the fight will also be held (apparently asatte, i.e. the day after tomorrow). Not entirely sure, the subtitles were a little too quick now. And yeah, that planet is the one with the hot springs. Please. No. Please. Don't do this. Not now. They agree on some sort of street fighter rules, i.e. no rules, and fighting until someone's down. That seems like a good idea given Rinne's inability to stop herself from smashing her contenders to bits.

edit 4:

The fight begins, and thankfully no hot springs visit yet, but that can always come later. End of episode.

edit 5:

Fuu and Rinne have a nice talk, actually, if they wouldn't be taunting and beating each other in the process that might even be a nice scene. Fuu tells Rinne that she learned a lot, from many people, but that Rinne is just shutting herself off from the world, and whacks her so hard she breaks Rinne's bones, who still keeps going. Sure. Why not.

I'm going to be honest here, this seems worse than the Star Trek show from the nightmare universe. Your mental resistance must be impressive to take all of this, so much so you could probably solo a Mind Flayer hive. Assuming the thralls didn't kill you.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Gasp! 1

2 minutes ago, KP on top of ZA WARUDO said:

I'm going to be honest here, this seems worse than the Star Trek show from the nightmare universe.

ViVid Strike! is mostly just boring.

21 Jump Dreck is offensive and terrible, not to mention a whole lot longer. There's not a lot of thought that went into setting this ViVid Strike! storyline up, but it proceeds apace, doesn't do excessively stupid things beyond the initial setup and the most questionable part of the show at the moment where I'm at is how and why Fuu, who has only four months of martial arts training and a couple of years as a street fighter behind her can go toe to toe with Rinne, who by all accounts isn't just a once a century prodigy but also went through Pai Mei's demanding training.

The fight is, more or less, just a standin for what they're talking about, being estranged childhood friends who each had horrible life experiences and very different martial arts masters shape them into what they are. It's not the worst stuff, but it's not interesting enough and the characters are too flat to make it truly matter.

Three episodes left, but I'll leave those for tomorrow. Well, today, as it already is past midnight, but hey... splitting hairs and all.

17 minutes ago, KP on top of ZA WARUDO said:

Your mental resistance must be impressive to take all of this, so much so you could probably solo a Mind Flayer hive. Assuming the thralls didn't kill you.

Endure. In enduring, grow strong. Althoug that's not entirely right, but it looks like I'm pretty much immune to intelligence drain by now. :p

• Gasp! 1

The entirety of episode eleven is spent on Fuu and Rinne beginning to brawl, instead of having a martial arts fight, as things move beyond silly things like getting stronger so nobody ever looks down on me again or I HATE MYSELF. Rinne helpfully begins to see images of the past flashing her by, she works past her issues and for the first time in forever actually smiles, which Fuu rewards with a knockout blow, having achieved her goal of beating sense back into Rinne. Meanwhile her coach realizes that she's been torturing Rinne and pushing her beyond her mental limits for nothing else than her own ambition after a permanent injury forced her to quit shortly before a title match.

Rinne sees her dead (adopted) grandfather and he says おめでとう (congratulations) to her. Okay, no, the last part was a joke. It's a metaphor for Rinne letting go of her anger and finding her way back to the light side of the force, or whatever you want to call it.

I can't help but acknowledge that there's been a decent amount of setup for this particular payoff, it is just mired in an otherwise boring series. Two former friends beating the friendship back into each other isn't something very creative or original in itself either, but there's nothing wrong with the last two episodes once you forgive the anime for making Fuu capable of standing up to Rinne in the first place, which realistically shouldn't be possible.

It's fine though really, and it's still a magical girl martial arts show. I just hope the final episode of the series (or the third OVA afterwards) doesn't contain a ludicrous bathing scene. I'm also a bit surprised that the show took a turn like this, in the beginning it really looked like this wouldn't be a street fight but simply the finals of the tournament. Nothing is out of place or heaven forbid original, but hidden somewhere deep inside of all of it are themes similar to the ones in StrikerS, except everything is executed in a less well crafted way.

Which sadly means that no matter how the final episode or the OVA goes, there's really no point in watching this unles you have a whole lot of time to kill and want to watch a girl waffle between hyper-focused shounen dolt, Shinji and something in between for a bit. Caveat: This comment was made in contraxt and in a context with Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha ViVid, so I am perhaps overrating it simply because the former was nothing but offensive and poorly written, animated and directed.

Now all that's left is to see if Einhart will give Rinne a title match regardless of not meeting her conditions.

50 minutes ago, majestic said:

Now all that's left is to see if Einhart will give Rinne a title match regardless of not meeting her conditions.

No, because the OVA is spending two or three minutes detailing what went on. Rinne became champion after Einhart moved to the under 19 category undefeated (which I suppose implies that she won her Winter Cup final match against Fuu that is never shown on screen). Now Rinne and her coach invite everyone to... their gym's medical and R&R place. It's summer and there's a beach ressort. Ah well, guess it had to happen eventually, eh?

Time to see how bad it really gets.

48 minutes ago, majestic said:

Time to see how bad it really gets.

Well, it's a beach episode, but even compared with the shower scenes already in ViVid Strike! this was by far and large harmless. How odd. Also, you'd think an episode dedicated to doing nothing much would be fun, but then they went and had a beach volleyball competition that was just plain boring. Eh, sure, I'll take anything over the sexual assault madness from ViVid.

That's one done and dusted. Final verdict: There's no reason to watch it, unless you're seriously bored and want to... experience more boredom for a minor payoff at the end.

Edited by majestic
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, majestic said:

I think that's precisely the issue, so I have to agree with @KP on top of ZA WARUDO.  At least Discovery gives you something to think and be mad about - that's, if nothing else, something to mentally occupy the viewer, even if it's actually objectively worse in most ways. This show sounds so much like...death? Or maybe more like something that would make you wish for death? I just cannot envision ever sitting through more than like 5 minutes of it if your descriptions of what it's like are anywhere even remotely accurate, because it seems like something that put me into a state of existentialism and question why I or really anything else exists if this is what it is all culminating in - a terrible-looking, terrible-sounding, terrible character-filled, and just utterly dreadfully boring cartoon that one is being forcefully compelled to watch. A show making someone become secondhand suicidal from even the thought of watching it must truly be the mark of greatness...right?

Spoiler

I had to re-write that last sentence like three or four times to be progressively less offensive - the way I initially wrote it was basically "if it's making me want to kill myself, then I don't possibly see how somebody actually watching it wouldn't"...which, uh, while maybe gets the half-joking, half-serious spirit of what I meant across, also literally suggests anybody watching it should off themselves, which would also include you, which...uh, no, that isn't at all what I wanted to convey, hence the re-write, :p.

I'm just so glad it's finally over. Will you please promise to not try anything new ever again? :shifty:

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

32 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

I'm just so glad it's finally over.

There's still two Nanoha movies left >.<, and one of them contains the scene that lead to this:

5xj5qv.jpg

Will you please promise to not try anything new ever again? :shifty:

No, but I could potentially stop inducing second-hand suicidal thoughts by never talking about it, although that would erase a signification portion of the enjoyment I get being as part of the meta-experience of participating in this thread. :p

I think that's precisely the issue, so I have to agree with @KP on top of ZA WARUDO.  At least Discovery gives you something to think and be mad about - that's, if nothing else, something to mentally occupy the viewer, even if it's actually objectively worse in most ways. This show sounds so much like...death? Or maybe more like something that would make you wish for death? I just cannot envision ever sitting through more than like 5 minutes of it if your descriptions of what it's like are anywhere even remotely accurate, because it seems like something that put me into a state of existentialism and question why I or really anything else exists if this is what it is all culminating in - a terrible-looking, terrible-sounding, terrible character-filled, and just utterly dreadfully boring cartoon that one is being forcefully compelled to watch. A show making someone become secondhand suicidal from even the thought of watching it must truly be the mark of greatness...right?

Normally, yes, and so this is precisely where my caveat for the final conclusion comes from. At this particular time, between the other series and films I've watched recently, this is exactly the right sort of boring at the right sort of time. Call it meditational if you will. ViVid Strike! never made me want to kill myself, unlike Discovery or Komi Can't Communicate, even though it well and truly has nothing going on that could make me recommend this to anyone, regardless of their tastes. Even die-hard martial arts or tournament arc fans will find nothing for them there.

Here's another helpful and potentially shocking secret: As bad as Discovery is, Komi Can't Communicate is worse. What I'm posting about this anime doesn't even remotely transport the desire to blind myself and pierce my eardrums whenever one of the side characters is on screen, and unlike for @KP on top of ZA WARUDO, that does include Najimi and their (Najimi is a person of undefined gender - dresses like a girl but referes to himself as, well, himself) constant yelling.

The descriptions of the Nanoha shows, Discovery and Komi are fairly accurate. I'm not going to say I never embellish for effect, because I often do that if it makes for a better joke, but these don't really need it. Especially not Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha ViVid, that good for nothing compilation movie for the first Nanoha season or Nanoha's first season sexualized underage nudity scene. Discovery's terribleness speaks for itself, all I need to do is paraphrase what's going on and for Komi, well, that's just the thing. There's a nice show hiding in Komi, if they'd just do it right, which makes it all the worse, in the same way that Mari is worse in NGE than she'd be in any random other show or movie because she's in NGE and sticks out like a sore thumb even if she's just contrasted by mere shadows of the characters of the original show.

Reveal hidden contents

I had to re-write that last sentence like three or four times to be progressively less offensive - the way I initially wrote it was basically "if it's making me want to kill myself, then I don't possibly see how somebody actually watching it wouldn't"...which, uh, while maybe gets the half-joking, half-serious spirit of what I meant across, also literally suggests anybody watching it should kill themselves, which would also include you, which...uh, no, that isn't at all what I wanted to convey, hence the re-write, :p.

Answer to the original sentence, which I don't find that offensive: It's for the same reason I can sit through ten thousand hours of grinding in MMOs. I'm just dead enough inside for it to take a special amount of awful to make me want to bang my head against a wall until it stops wanting to continue. :p

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

13 hours ago, majestic said:

Well at least there aren't any plots to get Fuu to try some sausage. ....right?

13 hours ago, majestic said:

Endure. In enduring, grow strong. Althoug that's not entirely right, but it looks like I'm pretty much immune to intelligence drain by now. :p

I'm pretty sure some things can get past that. Like Bruno's fascist creep or the food thread.

31 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

I think that's precisely the issue, so I have to agree with @KP on top of ZA WARUDO.

To me it sounds as horrible as the hypothetical Trek show with the addition of some "bathing scenes" I would feel uncomfortable watching. I won't watch either, and can't watch the deep fake 9 because it doesn't actually exist in this universe, but both sound bad in different yet similar ways.

33 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Or maybe more like something that would make you wish for death?

This makes me think of one combat bark in BG. "Beg for death!" I can't recall who said that.

Anyways for a show that's not like death....

Diamond is Unbreakable: Jotaro and Koichi get chased by a tank that comes out of David Bowie's hand.

• Gasp! 1

7 minutes ago, majestic said:

Answer to the original sentence, which I don't find that offensive: It's for the same reason I can sit through ten thousand hours of grinding in MMOs. I'm just dead enough inside for it to take a special amount of awful to make me want to bang my head against a wall until it stops wanting to continue.

Yeah, I guess I don't do well being bored. I get in a very negative state of mind very fast if I'm not mentally engaged at least a little. The good news is I'm not the type of person that ever gets bored...so long as I'm not forcefully subjected to something I want no part of. Being in an endless dark void where I only have my own thoughts and naught else still sounds significantly more engaging to me than this latest Nanoha incarnation, :p.

It's not great news you still have a little more to go, though... As for Komi, have you considered just...muting the sound? I've done that before when a certain character has annoyed me too much...:-

4 minutes ago, KP on top of ZA WARUDO said:

To me it sounds as horrible as the hypothetical Trek show with the addition of some "bathing scenes" I would feel uncomfortable watching. I won't watch either, and can't watch the deep fake 9 because it doesn't actually exist in this universe, but both sound bad in different yet similar ways.

Ah, I was thinking more of the dreadful moment-to-moment stuff and the entire thing seeming like a whole pile of mostly nothing wasting your time and draining your will to think or live rather than any of the "big" negative moments like that.

8 minutes ago, KP on top of ZA WARUDO said:

This makes me think of one combat bark in BG. "Beg for death!" I can't recall who said that.

"Beg for death...and I'll make it quick." Some generic Shadow Thief combat line, I'm pretty sure.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

11 minutes ago, KP on top of ZA WARUDO said:

I'm pretty sure some things can get past that. Like Bruno's fascist creep or the food thread.

It's taking me a barely describable amount of control not not post in the political thread at the moment. Sigh.

• Gasp! 1

10 minutes ago, majestic said:

It's taking me a barely describable amount of control not not post in the political thread at the moment. Sigh.

I was super confused for a minute here, because I was pretty sure nobody had posted in the political thread over the past few days...and then I went to go check to see what was going on in there and couldn't even find the thread. I then realized I must've re-enabled my filters sometime in the past few days, which explains why the thread is missing entirely.

Working as I intended when I created the filters, I suppose: out of sight, out of mind. It's unfortunate that uBlock has a tendency to break linked videos on here these days otherwise I'd have them enabled more consistently...but I disable them to look at a video and then I forget.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Yeah, I guess I don't do well being bored. I get in a very negative state of mind very fast if I'm not mentally engaged at least a little. The good news is I'm not the type of person that ever gets bored...so long as I'm not forcefully subjected to something I want no part of. Being in an endless dark void where I only have my own thoughts and naught else still sounds significantly more engaging to me than this latest Nanoha incarnation, :p.

Out of all things Nanoha I've watched at this point, and I'll leave out the two films for now because I really don't think they're going to be better, the only part of the franchise that's worth watching is StrikerS, and I have no idea how well that works without watching the prior two seasons. While Nanoha, Fate and the Belkan Knights are more or less side characters with a decent amount of focus in StrikerS, what they go through and do is still most likely better when having gotten to know them earlier.

Therein lies an issue that as a whole make me unable to recommend the entire franchise. While I would disagree with the assessment that the Nanoha franchise was made solely as a magical girl alternative for perverted 30 year olds, it certainly contains elements that spin the idea of fanservice way too far, particularily in its first season (and episode 5 was made for perverted 30 year olds), and in the first ViVid season. StrikerS on the other hand does have some nudity even outside of the transformation sequences, but it's only there when it makes sense (medical checkups, by far and large), even if it all still could probably have been done differently.

I'm fairly sure that my assessment of StrikerS as a whole is correct, given the fact that fans of the first two seasons and anime fans in general complain(ed) very vocally about the pacing and how there's not enough action in the series, and that it got 26 episodes where 13 would have sufficed. Yes, 13 episode would have been enough to transport the main story, but not everything the showrunners wanted it to transport, and were actually pretty sucessful at transporting.

StrikerS has like 10 protagonists, or at least the four main characters and a often focused on larger supporting cast, and Fate and Nanoha are arguably main characters too, and after the 26 episodes I ended up more or less liking each one of them (in spite of starting out not liking Erio, Teana or Subaru for somewhat obvious reasons). Instead of rushing the character development, they rushed the story conclusion by the end, cramming too much into the final six episodes, even resorting to phoney feeling exposition once. But it remains, quite frankly, quite a feat to give the large cast of protagonists their time to shine, their time to develop, some time to breathe and eventually a satisfying conclusion. Except perhaps for Nanoha and Vivio, where the final fight vectors off into silly Sailor Moon story episode territory.

It also comes the cost of having the least interesting villain, but Presea Testerossa from the first season wasn't special either. Hayate and the Belkan Knights are what made A's more interesting than it would otherwise have been.

Overall, it's not a total loss, and StrikerS was pretty great, if you look past it's downsides and the franchise it is attached to. Which is somewhat hard to do, and definitely not for everyone. Or probably anyone. :shrugz:

17 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

I was super confused for a minute here, because I was pretty sure nobody had posted in the political thread over the past few days...and then I went to go check to see what was going on in there and couldn't even find the thread. I then realized I must've re-enabled my filters sometime in the past few days, which explains why the thread is missing entirely.

Heh. Yeah. No point in hiding the thread for me, I know it's there, even if I don't see it. :p

It's not great news you still have a little more to go, though... As for Komi, have you considered just...muting the sound? I've done that before when a certain character has annoyed me too much...:-

There's not much left, only two movies, and they'll have characters I like, at least, so unless they're completely incompetently made the worst is behind me. Yeah, famous last words and all that. Heh.

Re: muting sound, yes, that could be a workable option, but that would kill the only thing I'm sort of enjoying about watching Komi, and that's Tadano reading what Komi wrote out aloud, which is more helpful than you'd think with the learning the language thing.  I'm not sure that tradeoff will be a net positive, but I can try.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Ah, I was thinking more of the dreadful moment-to-moment stuff and the entire thing seeming like a whole pile of mostly nothing wasting your time and draining your will to think or live rather than any of the "big" negative moments like that.

Both are poorly written shows that I won't bother with, I think I've spent more time posting about them this morning that I've ever spent watching them. I'm going to try to keep it that way.

46 minutes ago, majestic said:

You funny majestic :biggrin:

But rich white men are being treated unfairly ?

• Gasp! 1