Disappointed and bummed

Wasn't sure where to put this but I just need to vent and this seems to be the best place for that. This game started out so fun and one of the aspects I loved the most about it was that while it was challenging, it was still something I could play. Something my kid could play. That we could play together. Now 10 or so updates in, I'm staring at a game that is utterly unrecognizably different and there seems to be no regard for those of us who don't care for those unbeatable complications. I get it. Creative mode exists and sure, I could play that and have NO challenge and be fine. But  easy mode exists too and right now easy feels like hard and anything else just feels impossible. I'm tired of having to stop building/foraging/exploring every ten seconds to run from yet another swarm of mosquitos who hunt me down for hours or a wolf spider who's suddenly spawning ten feet from the safest place in the game or bombarder beetles, who are somehow more aggressive than Stalin or starving or dying of thirst because every food source and water source is teeming with things that for some inexplicable reason ONLY seem to come after me and not the plethora of other options out there. I get it. I really do. People like games that challenge them to the point of near impossibility. I see it all over the map in the Survival genre. But it just feels like the devs are only making this game for those people and not the ones who wanna enjoy the gameplay without constant unyielding stress and frustration. I love the new build options but I can't build anything cause I can't collect anything. I had to restart me 60 day long game cause there were suddenly three mosquitos camping outside my front door that kill me before I can leave my house. Now that I've restarted, I can't get past the first lab cause there's suddenly a trillion more things to fight and run from than in the original edition. I understand the idea is that the game needs to grow and develop... But why does each development just seem to cater to making things more difficult and less fun? And I appreciate all the hard work the devs are doing, but I dunno. I'm sure there's not a lot of folks who will agree with me here, but I'm just sad that I can no longer see this as something I'll play often and I wish the devs would take those of us into consideration too, who click 'easy' mode and not chaos-have-fun-dying mode for a reason. Sorry for the length. If you disagree feel free to just ignore me lol I'm not particularly keen on a debate but I'd love to know if I'm not actually alone here... 

• Like 2

So, I'm having a lot more fun that you it seems, however I'm not disagreeing with you. The combat in this game is very challenging as a single-player. I think it's very hard for the Devs to make the game challenging in multiplayer without making it too difficult in single-player, and vice-versa. I don't know what the solution is, but there are definitely some major balancing issues that still need to be addressed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm sort of hoping they can come up with a system where they can actually add sliders for certain difficulty options. Turning down or even off some aspects might make a solo game more bearable/enjoyable. I dunno. Only thing I can think might make it fair.

• Like 1

One thing I might suggest is getting the additional health mutation as soon as you can. You have to purchase it from Burgl, and it costs 5000 Raw Science (don't get me started on how unbalanced the Raw Science system is). Once you have that, you might find that surviving and successful combat is a little more attainable. 

7 minutes ago, SnickerSnack said:

One thing I might suggest is getting the additional health mutation as soon as you can. You have to purchase it from Burgl, and it costs 5000 Raw Science (don't get me started on how unbalanced the Raw Science system is). Once you have that, you might find that surviving and successful combat is a little more attainable. 

It's a great idea if I had assistance. Unfortunately because they've moved the wolf spider to the mysterious machine area I'm lucky if I can survive five minutes by myself, let alone get up to 5000 RS. My original longer game has it but I can't get out my front door without being swarmed by mosquitoes. I get the difficulty needed to be raised for multiplayer, but sadly it didn't take into consideration the solo gamers and just HOW much adversity there is even at the very start of the game. Mild mode is far from mild when you're playing without aid. 

So, is the issue that they added mosquitoes right on top of your base with a new update? Can you not make a run for it, or load a backup save where you are in another location? I'm not understanding exactly... I mean, the mosquitoes do pursue over way too far a distance, but they will eventually stop chasing you. You may just have to build somewhere else. Have you tried starting a new game? The creatures do definitely level up as you obtain higher-tiered items. I'm currently using Tier II items, and I rarely die unless I'm deliberately picking a fight with something beyond my level. I'm still managing to progress by being extra careful (which I kind of enjoy) and also by being opportunistic. For example, I got my first spider parts by robbing the corpses after an insect fight that didn't even involve me. If you can manage to kill just one Mosquito, that will get you access to the Mosquito needle, which is an excellent weapon. The Weevil shield is a great addition too... and Weevils are easy to kill. There are a LOT of insects, true, but still not so many that they are impossible to avoid... even wolf spiders. So, I'm not trying to insult your intelligence or abilities... just offering some suggestions on how you might switch up gameplay to compensate for the challenge (if you aren't already trying these things). - For what it's worth I've never played in MP, SP only

Edited by SnickerSnack
  • Like 1

Single player/PC/Mild

Observation:   Difficulty level "mild" is no longer a feasible option for players who wish to enjoy all the challenges of Grounded,

but with less dying and all around screaming and running and endless repeating battles that are so annoying that you find yourself gritting your teeth and muttering some very (unladylike) comments under your breath while wondering "why...why...I just murdered the lot of you a day ago!" Or "You never re-spawned here before!" Or "Five? Five spiders all at once!" Or "how is this even possible?!" as you're unexpectedly flung from one side of the stump  to the other into the waiting lap of three more fang-hissing-eight legged-sweethearts. 

Aftermath: still panting and slurping down one smoothie after another amidst the carnage of eight bloated bodies covered in goo, you suddenly realize that this battle was unnecessarily intense and in no way (not even close) be described as "mild".

"I only wanted to...what?....what was I planning to do today?" "Gathering something, exploring, building something epic....or just out for a stroll....what?" But the sun is going down. Out of time. Out of options. (Sigh.) "Time to go home. Maybe .....tomorrow will be a better...."

"Oh no......That sound." (That whirling-helicopter-we-are-about-to-end-your-day kind of sound.)

" Ladybug  preserve us! Run!" 

Edited by LadyBugWins
scrambled sentences upon submitting
  • Haha 1

The frustrations are real...  I must of built in the perfect spots..  I hardly have anything bother me.  Occasional wolf spider will wander from the oak tree but I can hear him making his way over.   Avoiding areas that are over populated with spiders unless I’m hunting for them.   The hostile insects I feel are usually in the same areas everyday.   Minus the wandering wolf spiders.   Build high and avoid places you know they spawn.   I have only played single player mild and I know it is harder to start a new game today than what it was few months ago.   Get good with the bow.  Enemies will wander away if you jump on something they can’t get up.  Jump up and let them walk away as you’re shooting at them.  When you want to lure them back In, jump down to the dirt and then jump back up when they get close and start shooting again.   The marksman cap is worth it to craft.   I don’t both with all the different armors.. I only have ant armor as I feel I am always hauling something.  And then my marksman cap.     Mosquitos were spawned in at one of my bases also.   It has since been abandoned.    Sometimes when they change the game.. you also have to change the way it’s played.    I do feel they need more mission type stuff to do instead of the low point burgl missions.   The game for me is kinda at a standstill.  Afraid to build too much as it could get wiped out in the upcoming updates.  

• Like 1

You can be like me and build a base in the sky lol. I don't have to worry about anything. I have 3 levels with level 1 of course being the ground then level 2 is where a lot of bridges and pathways are at that leads to different areas in the yard. Then there is level 3 which is my main headquarters I call the sky city and I have everything I need there. I have all types of food to eat and all types of liquids you can drink. I have about 50 small houses/stores that has all resources and I have a few storage for my grass planks and weed stems that I use for future builds up there. On one side of the city It has all bug related resources and the other side has all the yard resources. I have a weapon shop with weapon mounts all over it and a armor shop with every armor. So when players join they can just pick out what weapon and armor they want to use.

I agree with the OP and LadyBugWins.  Playing solo on mild has become too difficult and frustrating. And too intense/scary for younger players. I don't want to play on creative mode. I like the challenge of learning the "safer" pathways and the best places to build. But it's become a constant fight or flight situation, esp. when restarting a new game. I've even dealt with a Wolf Spider suddenly appearing INSIDE one of my established bases! I enjoy the cleverness and unique aspects of this game ... exploration, crafting, building in miniature and I can deal with combat here and there, but the balance is now way off (in other ways as well, like resource drops). 

This same sort of problem has caused me to quit other games ... constant attacks and being forced to kill creatures when you'd just prefer to avoid them, unless you absolutely need them for food. Usually it's wolves, not wolf spiders, but the idea is the same. What next?? Zombie Spiders??

Trying to be patient, but the game has been turned off for now.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TheRealest91 said:

You can be like me and build a base in the sky lol. I don't have to worry about anything. I have 3 levels with level 1 of course being the ground then level 2 is where a lot of bridges and pathways are at that leads to different areas in the yard. Then there is level 3 which is my main headquarters I call the sky city and I have everything I need there. I have all types of food to eat and all types of liquids you can drink. I have about 50 small houses/stores that has all resources and I have a few storage for my grass planks and weed stems that I use for future builds up there. On one side of the city It has all bug related resources and the other side has all the yard resources. I have a weapon shop with weapon mounts all over it and a armor shop with every armor. So when players join they can just pick out what weapon and armor they want to use.

Hopefully you have it well supported in different areas.   Would hate to hear that it came crashing down because your connecting supports to the ground got broken.  

5 hours ago, oKareno said:

Hopefully you have it well supported in different areas.   Would hate to hear that it came crashing down because your connecting supports to the ground got broken.  

Yeah it is. No bug can destroy it. Plus there isn't any scaffolds connected to the ground I have them on higher areas holding up the bridge. I started making the bridge from the top floor of my first base and just expanded from there.

• Like 1