Hello guys, I am starting the game now, and tried lots of builds. I liked mostly the monk, and I dont know what class I multi with it . The Cypher was fun, but I want play most of time unarmed, and want a caster class tô mix it. Would Druid be a good choice?

Yes, Druid is a fantastic choice! The bonus intellect from Duality of Mortal presence and bonus might from Helwalker both make Druid spells deliciously more effective. For example, Relentless Storm really locks down a fight and damage over time spells become much more deadly. The natural thing to do is spiritshift for melee but you can use fists too. If you want to melee I would pick Shifter even if you never shift because its bonus spells are designed to help melee Druids (and there is no downside if you don't shift). Monk fists scale up every even power level, so as a multiclass it's important to get at least +1 PL bonus while you fight, which you can most easily get from one of several food bonuses or the nature godlike passive.

My other favourite class to pair with Monk is Chanter (in fact, I plan to post an in-depth build within the next few days). Similar thing where Monk stat bonuses make spells much more effective. There is also a late-game synergy with using fists. When you get and upgrade the Wand of the Weyc, you can dual-wield it with Sasha's Singing Scimitar and empower an invocation at the beginning of every fight. This gives you +3PL for a moderate duration at the start of every fight, which means that your fists are temporarily as strong as a single class monk with the Prestige talent. So you can just empower and then immediately switch weapons (which isn't so punishing time-wise because the wand removes recovery on empowered abilities). That's the easiest way to get such powerful fists every fight as a multiclass without spending resources and only Monk/Chanters can do it.

Druid and Chanter are my favourites but I'd be remiss not to mention Wizards, which are also great with Monk and are more sturdy with their great defensive buffs. Druids or Chanters have to rely on CC, spiritshift, and running away to deal with Helwalker squishiness. You could choose another subclass but the might and even extra wound at combat start are really nice for casters.

Edited by Jayd

I started a Helwalker/shifter, and is real fun. But I am platina um Veteran, and is harder that I thought. I am stucked in the Digsite, the place with 3 Pamthers, and now is there a Draco and I cant past trough them. 
Should I change the difficult? I am with Eder and Xoti, all no lvl 4

Some fights are like puzzles and you have to figure how to approach them. The dig site encounter is indeed pretty hard if you don't make good use of the explosive barrel in the arena. 

Spoiler

Position your stealthed party to the S of the arena (behind the crates, far enough from the barrel, near the tent) and draw all enemies close to the barrel using sparkcrackers. Shoot the barrel to make it explode and all enemies will be heavily damaged. Use the choke point between the tent and the crates to finish them.

31 minutes ago, Kaylon said:

Some fights are like puzzles and you have to figure how to approach them. The dig site encounter is indeed pretty hard if you don't make good use of the explosive barrel in the arena. 

Reveal hidden contents

Position your stealthed party to the S of the arena (behind the crates, far enough from the barrel, near the tent) and draw all enemies close to the barrel using sparkcrackers. Shoot the barrel to make it explode and all enemies will be heavily damaged. Use the choke point between the tent and the crates to finish them.

Thanks, I did a respec and got Charm Beast. Worked very good, and I already finished the digsite. 

It only works while you are shifted. You cannot have weapons when shifted. You will automatically have the natural weapons of the spiritshift form (for example Cat Claws or Boar Tusks).

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

11 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

It only works while you are shifted. You cannot have weapons when shifted. You will automatically have the natural weapons of the spiritshift form (for example Cat Claws or Boar Tusks).

So I can be a Kung-Fu Panda with Thunder on my claws 😄😄

56 minutes ago, freddfranca said:

So I can be a Kung-Fu Panda with Thunder on my claws 😄😄

Indeed. And if you use monk abilities like Torments Reach while in bear form, for example, you get the neat animation of your panda doing a side kick. The animation for Skyward Kick is even more impressive, if I recall correctly.

• Like 1

I'll admit, one of my greatest passions in Deadfire is using melee wizards, so I have to advocate for Sage as a solid option not only for the usual Vital Essence/Llengrath's Safeguard/Mirror Image stuff, but especially for the ability to abuse Ryngrim's Repulsive Visage. By putting that on a melee character, you can run around the battlefield to shut down any threat you want with the same debilitating conditions as Enervating Terror. 

True. But if those are the main selling points, a Trickster can do most of this - while dealing A LOT higher damage per hit (and generating Ripostes when enemies miss him). Of course, he can't summon an aoe Lance, extend stuff with Wall of Draining and do many other nifty tricks.

Edited by Haplok

Terrify should be quite effective even without Will debuffing in most scenarios IMO. Particularly a lasting, pulsing effect like Ryngrim's Repulsive Visage. 

Not that debuffing would hurt.

Edited by Haplok

Well, no reason a Sage couldn't also throw out a Miasma as well before wading in to lock everyone down with Visage. I guess my only gripe is that level 2 wizard spells are so competitive, between Miasma, Combusting Wounds, Infuse, Arcane Veil, Merciless Gaze, Blackened Sight...think it might be the spell level I value the most overall, personally. 

Of course, I should add that I'm a relative pleb who sticks to Veteran because while I'm pretty sure I could handle POTD, I just don't want to expend the necessary attention and effort to play on that level, so my advice might not be the best available. 

On 4/15/2021 at 11:15 AM, Haplok said:

Terrify should be quite effective even without Will debuffing in most scenarios IMO. Particularly a lasting, pulsing effect like Ryngrim's Repulsive Visage. 

Ryngrim's Repulsive Visage targets Fortitude so debuffing is welcome (e.g. The Willbreaker + modal).

Terrorize effects that target Will are: Ryngrim's Enervating Terror, the Barbarian's Spirit Frenzy and Fear Wards. Also Nature's Terror and the roar from Spiritshift/ Bear if i recall correctly. There are probably several others. (Cipher has Frightening vs. Will with Secret Horrors)

My recent take on trying to build the strongest Terrifying solo character is that outside of typical Sage, Warlock etc. powerhouses, it is hard to build something very effective. Even by stacking at the same time 3 terrorize effects, if I don't have other effective CC or high defenses, someone somewhere on the battlefield will manage to ruin my day :) My latest attempt was with a Fury Shaper / Trickster.

Happy to hear if someone else had more success without using one of the leading multiclass combos!

38 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

SC Wizard with Caedebald's Blackbow + Essential Phantom is an excellent terrifier imo

Yes that's true I had forgotten about this combo. Awesome with the right build in a party. In solo play I do like the Blackbow but it competes with other PL8 & PL9 wizard spells that are bonkers. It feels a bit like "hey you can basically cause several nuclear strikes with all but a snap of your fingers but here is also an enchanted bow if you'd like :)".

It competes with PL8 spells of course (why PL9?).

But imo if I really want to terrify without using too many resources it's great. Deals good dmg, too.

Freezing Rake and Piercing Burst etc. are nice of course (Wall of Many Colors is cool as well - but who wants to give up their Wall of Draining for it? ;)), but the real bombs come at PL9 so I don't give up too much firepower imo. Maybe your primary role is CC and not dmg - then this is a nice option I think. 

• Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

20 hours ago, Boeroer said:

It competes with PL8 spells of course (why PL9?).

Yes that was poorly worded - what I meant was:

1) The combo competes with the other high level spells you can cast before the fight is effectively over.
2) The spell choice in itself competes with the other PL8 and PL9 spells and other abilities you can pick between lvl 16 and 20 (provided you don't use a grimoire with this spell in it - which is usually not my case). I find that a wizard is always somewhat starved for ability points.