Anime: Emotions on a Rollercoaster

Amentep

21 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:
  Hide contents

By the way, do you have a favorite Gem yet? I watched the show with three other people, and about midway into the season, everyone had a favorite (although interestingly, these favorites did not remain true for everyone over the entire show's duration - mine did): two people's favorites were Amethyst, one person's was Garnet, and one person's was Pearl's.

Spoiler

No, not really. If Steven isn't an option then I'd go with Pearl right now. I can't really answer the question why though. By all means Garnet should be my favorite (quiet and mysterious, that's usually totally my deal!) but somehow she isn't. And Amethyst is too much of a slob, just like I am. Heh. :)

10 minutes ago, ArtistFormerlyKnownasKP said:

the new villain is basically Queen Beryl again.

In more than one way, as you will soon find out.

Edited by majestic
  • Gasp! 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

@majestic

Spoiler

Yeah, to be fair, you're not quite to the halfway point. But...huh, you'd pick Steven himself over any of the others? Interesting. Steven was my least favorite character for a while, and he wasn't anybody else's favorite from anyone I know that's watched the show, not early on or later, so I didn't even think of that as an option. But the fact that you chose Pearl second does mean you're (currently) a person of culture and esteem, :thumbsup:.

@ArtistFormerlyKnownasKP

I'm probably going to make pretty liberal use of my right arrow button when I watch SuperS...

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Hmmm 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

55 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Heh, I saw the original English dub of a scene from that episode a while ago, as well as some other random bits and pieces of SuperS and Sailor Stars. From just the clips I've seen, you'd almost think SuperS and Sailor Stars were just as good as the first three seasons...but I guess it's a bit of selection bias, :(.

Sailor Moon Sailor Stars' problems can be mostly ignored. It doesn't reach the greatness of S, and it looks ever so slightly different... and the... everything is... well... that's also why I totally avoid talking about it whenever I can (except for pointing out how stupid the ending of the manga was compared to the already not that great ending of the anime). I love Sailor Stars, but the problem is it has all the telltale signs of a season from other shows that I loved but everyone else I know who watched hated (or at least disliked).

Like seasons nine and ten of Stargate SG1. All of my friends hated the Ori. I loved the idea and the episodes dealing with them (less so the constant problems you get when literal gods are involved in the plot).

Like a show you really loved at some point that ran too long for a season or two? That's why I brought up How I Met Your Mother, because it feels a bit like the later seasons of that. I posted that before, but the show also had issues there and some really forced stupid sitcommy jokes (much like Sailor Stars has stupid forced conflict), but that's all in the background for me. Not so for others.

edit: Also, not gonna lie, where the writers gave the idiot ball to Usagi and Chibi-Usa in SuperS, they handed it over to the Outer Senshi for Sailor Stars. :(

36 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

@majestic

Hide contents

Yeah, to be fair, you're not quite to the halfway point. But...huh, you'd pick Steven himself over any of the others? Interesting. Steven was my least favorite character for a while, and he wasn't anybody else's favorite from anyone I know that's watched the show, not early on or later, so I didn't even think of that as an option. But the fact that you chose Pearl second does mean you are a person of culture and esteem, :thumbsup:.

@ArtistFormerlyKnownasKP

I'm probably going to make pretty liberal use of my right arrow button when I watch SuperS...

Spoiler

Steven reminds me a little of myself when I was that age, with all the weirdness and his tendency to form emotional attachments to his things. Heh. I would never have given my Ranger Guy to Onion though. No way.

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

Huh... Steven Universe spoiler:

Spoiler

WoUKyi9.png

Look at her having two gems. Heh. Was a nice episode though.

And with that I think I'll be off hanging out on the couch a bit before dozing off. Gonna check out Netflix, I have a feeling it'll "randomly" play some Cardcaptor Sakura again, or perhaps an episode of JoJo or two. Nightynight! ;)

Edited by majestic
  • Thanks 1
  • Gasp! 1

@majestic

Spoiler

Heck of a screencap, though. I can only presume that Pearl and Garnet are similarly bug-eyed, hidden as they are.

@Lexx

I took a glance at the show. Surprisingly great ratings on Rotten Tomatoes and IMDB - reviews mention that the show is both dark and gory as well as silly and comedic? Odd. I'm not one for straight superhero stuff, but if the main point isn't the superhero stuff, then it's not necessarily a dealbreaker. Animation style is kind of weird to me, but...not terrible, I guess - probably something you can get used to and learn to appreciate if you like the show otherwise.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

I'm not that big into these DC shows, so I can't really compare, but it is pretty violent, comes with swearing, and there is some random sexiness thrown in as well, etc. so this really is not a show for kids even though it looks like that at first.

So far it basically deals with the emancipation of Harley Quinn. Dunno how it will continue, but I gotta say that Poison Ivy is dang hot. Kinda reminds me of the Kim Possibly stuff from 20 years ago. 😄

They make lots of jokes on superhero stuff and the villains and it does not seem to take itself super serious. So if one expects some super realistic grimdark show ... nah, that isn't it.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

2 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

@majestic

Reveal hidden contents

Heck of a screencap, though. I can only presume that Pearl and Garnet are similarly bug-eyed, hidden as they are.

Hehe, probably.

Cardcaptor Sakura (still no indication of any storyline, limited spoilers therefore):

Spoiler

Sakura wants to spend the Sunday going on a picknick with Tomoyo, but is reminded by her older brother that she agreed to do household chores. She calls Tomoyo to cancel, and starts... cleaning. Most of the episode is spent on her and Kero cleaning the house, washing dishes and doing laundry. She finds two untransformed Clow Cards, and leaves them in her father's work room. Oh, right, in the first episode she found them all locked in a book in her father's library and accidentially disperses them throughout town. He's an archaeology professor and has a home office in the cellar. 

She promptly forgets about the cards when her father calls because he left something at home. Sakura is off to bring her father some documents and Kero continues to do the laundry. Sakura runs into Yukito on her way home, and he makes good on the promise to buy her something to eat. Yukito eats massive amounts of food and casually mentions that his appetite is somewhat expensive, but Sakura shouldn't worry and just order what she wants, it's his treat anyway.

Once back home it becomes obvious that the cards she forgot were up to no good as a tree begins to grow out of the cellar, and of course, Tomoyo shows up to help with the cleaning (eh, that's a little  flimsy, if anything she should show up with her servants to have them do the cleaning for her, but hey, whatever works to bring her to the site of a monster attack, right?). The scene was hilarious though, the doorbell rings and Sakura is afraid to open the door because they'll be the talk of the town if someone sees a flying, talking animal stuck in a tree growing out of their cellar. A little contrivance can be easily forgiven.

A little, at least. There's a potential problem - the same that Sailor Moon SuperS has where Usagi and Chibi-Usa just magically always have to be together when something happens. Tomoyo and Sakura at least aren't siamese-twinned with their attack and transformation sequence. Tomoyo is just a normal girl after all.

Sakura captures both cards, but the house is a mess again. Heh.

Everything that happens in this episode is predictable. Sakura finds two untransformed cards, but leaves them around for shenanigans to happen. She cancels her picknick, but of course Tomoyo comes to help her. And still, in spite of all this, I can't help but sit there with a big grin watching her wash dishes and be a relatively normal 10 year old that stumbled into having magical adventures.

I don't know what it is with (mahō) shōjo anime that makes me like it so much. My nephew likes to watch Spirit, which... I don't like at all (it's ridiculous to the point where it breaks suspension of disbelief... among other things, like highly annoying girls and horses, ugh). I hope Cardcaptor Sakura doesn't mess up by introducing some unnecessary storyline focus or having the contrivance of Tomoyo being around as irritating as it was with Usagi and Chibi-Usa in SuperS.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure:

Spoiler

Speedwagon calls Joseph JoJo. He probably shouldn't have because he promptly dies for it. However! JoJo 2.0 (he even looks the same as young Jonathan) pulling out a Tommy gun and blowing away Straizo in the middle of the street has to be one of the best things in anime ever, and it was hilariously overdone in this show's inimitable style.

I guess I'm finally sold now. That was grade A awesome. :p 

Edited by majestic
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, majestic said:

Hehe, probably.

Cardcaptor Sakura (still no indication of any storyline, limited spoilers therefore):

Reveal hidden contents

Sakura wants to spend the Sunday going on a picknick with Tomoyo, but is reminded by her older brother that she agreed to do household chores. She calls Tomoyo to cancel, and starts... cleaning. Most of the episode is spent on her and Kero cleaning the house, washing dishes and doing laundry. She finds two untransformed Clow Cards, and leaves them in her father's work room. Oh, right, in the first episode she found them all locked in a book in her father's library and accidentially disperses them throughout town. He's an archaeology professor and has a home office in the cellar. 

She promptly forgets about the cards when her father calls because he left something at home. Sakura is off to bring her father some documents and Kero continues to do the laundry. Sakura runs into Yukito on her way home, and he makes good on the promise to buy her something to eat. Yukito eats massive amounts of food and casually mentions that his appetite is somewhat expensive, but Sakura shouldn't worry and just order what she wants, it's his treat anyway.

Once back home it becomes obvious that the cards she forgot were up to no good as a tree begins to grow out of the cellar, and of course, Tomoyo shows up to help with the cleaning (eh, that's a little  flimsy, if anything she should show up with her servants to have them do the cleaning for her, but hey, whatever works to bring her to the site of a monster attack, right?). The scene was hilarious though, the doorbell rings and Sakura is afraid to open the door because they'll be the talk of the town if someone sees a flying, talking animal stuck in a tree growing out of their cellar. A little contrivance can be easily forgiven.

A little, at least. There's a potential problem - the same that Sailor Moon SuperS has where Usagi and Chibi-Usa just magically always have to be together when something happens. Tomoyo and Sakura at least aren't siamese-twinned with their attack and transformation sequence. Tomoyo is just a normal girl after all.

Sakura captures both cards, but the house is a mess again. Heh.

Everything that happens in this episode is predictable. Sakura finds two untransformed cards, but leaves them around for shenanigans to happen. She cancels her picknick, but of course Tomoyo comes to help her. And still, in spite of all this, I can't help but sit there with a big grin watching her wash dishes and be a relatively normal 10 year old that stumbled into having magical adventures.

I don't know what it is with (mahō) shōjo anime that makes me like it so much. My nephew likes to watch Spirit, which... I don't like at all (it's ridiculous to the point where it breaks suspension of disbelief... among other things, like highly annoying girls and horses, ugh). I hope Cardcaptor Sakura doesn't mess up by introducing some unnecessary storyline focus or having the contrivance of Tomoyo being around as irritating as it was with Usagi and Chibi-Usa in SuperS.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure:

Reveal hidden contents

Speedwagon calls Joseph JoJo. He probably shouldn't have because he promptly dies for it. However! JoJo 2.0 (he even looks the same as young Jonathan) pulling out a Tommy gun and blowing away Straizo in the middle of the street has to be one of the best things in anime ever, and it was hilariously overdone in this show's inimitable style.

I guess I'm finally sold now. That was grade A awesome. :p 

They actually changed Joseph's appearance in the anime, because in the manga he looks identical to Johnathan. This is actually something Araki says he wished he would have done, but given how his artwork changed over 30 years I'd guess he had something different in mind from what they did though. Either way it's a fun arc, wait until Joseph whips his balls out

• Gasp! 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

Finished S.

Spoiler

Usagi was finally smart enough to avoid a trap, noticing Mistress 9 was posing as Hotaru. Just to fall for the same thing again later and hand her the Seihai. :facepalm:

And Uranus and Neptune were forced to watch it. That must have been traumatic.

In the end, Usagi comes back from a place where the only other person was Hotaru, carrying a baby that looks exactly like... Hotaru. And still, in the next episode Ami, Rei, Makoto and Minako were looking for Hotaru. What??? And even Usagi didn't seem to know where Hotaru was. :blink: Did Haruka and Michiru kidnap the baby?

Btw, I was getting really tired of hearing Chibiusa say "Hotaru-chan! Hotaru-chan!":sweat:

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

sign.jpg

4 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

Finished S.

Reveal hidden contents

Usagi was finally smart enough to avoid a trap, noticing Mistress 9 was posing as Hotaru. Just to fall for the same thing again later and hand her the Seihai. :facepalm:

And Uranus and Neptune were forced to watch it. That must have been traumatic.

In the end, Usagi comes back from a place where the only other person was Hotaru, carrying a baby that looks exactly like... Hotaru. And still, in the next episode Ami, Rei, Makoto and Minako were looking for Hotaru. What??? And even Usagi didn't seem to know where Hotaru was. :blink: Did Haruka and Michiru kidnap the baby?

Btw, I was getting really tired of hearing Chibiusa say "Hotaru-chan! Hotaru-chan!":sweat:

They resolve that in S, maybe the dub you're watching skipped the episodes.

And just wait until Chibi-Usa has Twinkle Yell as her attack.

They do kidnap baby Hotaru-Chan, and give her to the now sane Professor. It all ends nicely after a battle with Saturn and Uranus

• Thanks 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

It was resolved later. But I didn't understand why they had no idea of what happened to Hotaru.

It could be a problem in translation too (I've been watching it with subtitles since the beginning of the second season). For example,

Spoiler

I read that the Black Lady kidnapped Mamoru, but that was never mentioned when I watched it. Somebody shows Usagi the Black Lady kissing Mamoru, but I assumed it was fake and Mamoru was missing. Nothing they said in the subtitles proved it really happened.

20 minutes ago, ArtistFormerlyKnownasKP said:

Hide contents

And just wait until Chibi-Usa has Twinkle Yell as her attack.

Mimet had a more annoying voice, so it can't be that bad. Well, not necessarily annoying, but something in it is unpleasant. And I knew it was familiar, it is the same voice actress that voices the twins in The Irresponsible Captain Tylor.

• Gasp! 1

sign.jpg

33 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

so it can't be that bad

It is, because it's part of an attack animation that happens every episode. Though I suppose the right arrow fixes that.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, InsaneCommander said:

It could be a problem in translation too (I've been watching it with subtitles since the beginning of the second season). For example

You need to be careful not to confuse my posts on the manga, Crystal and the 90ies anime you're watching. :)

Spoiler

Black Lady does not kiss Endymion in the 90ies anime that you're watching. There that's an illusion Death Phantom shows to Sailor Moon to break her will, and she shrugs it off. In Sailor Moon Crystal and Sailor Moon the manga Black Lady actually abducts Endymion and dominates his mind, then later introduces him as her lover and kisses him (for real) in front of Sailor Moon.

While it is not clear just how much, more than enough time has passed in between his abduction and that introduction for more than just kissing to have happened.

Spoiler

Oh, and @ArtistFormerlyKnownasKP

Don't forget to mention that she's yelling ONEGAI, PEGASUS! every time before TWINKLE YELL. She needs to beg that horse for some sweet lovin' first!

AND THE WHOLE F*CKING SPIEL TAKES ALMOST A FULL MINUTE. A FULL MINUTE!

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

@majesticI haven't forgotten, not for lack of trying though.

• Sad 1

By the way, I tried to properly prepare you guys for the fun that is Sailor Moon SuperS, did I succeed? I mean, did you get the impression it would be that bad, or have I failed? I really wanted to make this seem really bad so you could probably feel like I've overstated things.

I failed, didn't I? :p

• Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, majestic said:

By the way, I tried to properly prepare you guys for the fun that is Sailor Moon SuperS, did I succeed? I mean, did you get the impression it would be that bad, or have I failed? I really wanted to make this seem really bad so you could probably feel like I've overstated things.

In some ways I thought you were over reacting, in others it was really that bad or worse. Like

Nothing really prepares you for the way the Amazon Trio laughs with glee while they invade dreams after you make the connection to sexual assault. It's very unsettling and not very clever so it falls into very bad territory. Made all the worse by the repetitive nature of Sailor Moon making it happen virtually every episode. Really the closest I can think about it is when I was watching the 90's Berserk and 

YOU FELL FOR IT, FOOL!

THUNDER CROSS SPLIT ATTACK!

But Berserk is pretty ****ing traumatizing and has lots of rape that makes your stomach turn.

• Gasp! 1

27 minutes ago, ArtistFormerlyKnownasKP said:

In some ways I thought you were over reacting, in others it was really that bad or worse. Like

Hide contents

Nothing really prepares you for the way the Amazon Trio laughs with glee while they invade dreams after you make the connection to sexual assault. It's very unsettling and not very clever so it falls into very bad territory. Made all the worse by the repetitive nature of Sailor Moon making it happen virtually every episode. Really the closest I can think about it is when I was watching the 90's Berserk and 

Hide contents

YOU FELL FOR IT, FOOL!

THUNDER CROSS SPLIT ATTACK!

Hide contents

But Berserk is pretty ****ing traumatizing and has lots of rape that makes your stomach turn.

Spoiler

For me, the absolute low point was Reika begging Tiger's-Eye to stop in the second episode. Feels like they toned it down after that. At least a bit, also made the attacks more light-hearted at times (as light-hearted as that can be, anyway).

Spoiler

Aside from what he does to Makoto, anyway... but that's me loving Makoto to bits. ❤️

Even if you don't make a connection to sexual assault, which after the first episode is really hard to do, I mean... Unazuki's the classic victim of sexual assault, it still remains problematic. They're watching their victims' most private thoughts, hopes and dreams, and it clearly is painful too. Unless you're Minako, in which case you'd better run after pissing her off. Heh.

What do you think was overreacted so far? The Pegasus creepiness, or the way the girls act out of character? That episode with Ami the mechanic was probably better than I made it out to be, and from a different point of view Ami isn't accusing Mamoru of cheating on Usagi with hookers, admittedly that's a little (ok a lot) polemic.

I'm really curious what you will think of the episodes after the Trio is gone. The next set of mooks isn't exactly more interesting, but at least they're more fun.

Pegasus I really went to town on. That thing just freaked me out this time around. Not entirely sure why, it bothered me less the first time I saw SuperS. It might also maybe come from reading parts of the manga after beginning to watch SuperS and realizing that Chibi-Usa doesn't just have a crush on a horse, but actual sexual desires that supersede wanting Mamoru at some point. It's very clear that her dream to grow up (that is semi-fullfilled by the body switch storyline) is because she wants to be seen as a woman by the men she wants: Her father, and a horse (the latter comes up in the anime too).

Then there are the little things he does in SuperS that you may or may not have seen yet, depending on how far you've gotten. Like guilt-tripping Chibi-Usa by disappearing or being jealous when she tells him that she was asked out by a boy more her age, and less horsey.

Spoiler

And telling her that they can't be together while she's the grown up Chibi-Usa and kissing her after she turns back to her old age, in the manga at least he "only" kisses her in an emotionally vulnerable moment when she feels useless next to Sailor Moon. Not sure if that's any better. No, I am sure. It's not.

Haven't seen Berserk, and from the sound of it I might not want to.

6 minutes ago, majestic said:

Reveal hidden contents

For me, the absolute low point was Reika begging Tiger's-Eye to stop in the second episode. Feels like they toned it down after that. At least a bit, also made the attacks more light-hearted at times (as light-hearted as that can be, anyway).

Reveal hidden contents

Aside from what he does to Makoto, anyway... but that's me loving Makoto to bits. ❤️

Even if you don't make a connection to sexual assault, which after the first episode is really hard to do, I mean... Unazuki's the classic victim of sexual assault, it still remains problematic. They're watching their victims' most private thoughts, hopes and dreams, and it clearly is painful too. Unless you're Minako, in which case you'd better run after pissing her off. Heh.

What do you think was overreacted so far? The Pegasus creepiness, or the way the girls act out of character? That episode with Ami the mechanic was probably better than I made it out to be, and from a different point of view Ami isn't accusing Mamoru of cheating on Usagi with hookers, admittedly that's a little (ok a lot) polemic.

I'm really curious what you will think of the episodes after the Trio is gone. The next set of mooks isn't exactly more interesting, but at least they're more fun.

Pegasus I really went to town on. That thing just freaked me out this time around. Not entirely sure why, it bothered me less the first time I saw SuperS. It might also maybe come from reading parts of the manga after beginning to watch SuperS and realizing that Chibi-Usa doesn't just have a crush on a horse, but actual sexual desires that supersede wanting Mamoru at some point. It's very clear that her dream to grow up (that is semi-fullfilled by the body switch storyline) is because she wants to be seen as a woman by the men she wants: Her father, and a horse (the latter comes up in the anime too).

Then there are the little things he does in SuperS that you may or may not have seen yet, depending on how far you've gotten. Like guilt-tripping Chibi-Usa by disappearing or being jealous when she tells him that she was asked out by a boy more her age, and less horsey.

Reveal hidden contents

And telling her that they can't be together while she's the grown up Chibi-Usa and kissing her after she turns back to her old age, in the manga at least he "only" kisses her in an emotionally vulnerable moment when she feels useless next to Sailor Moon. Not sure if that's any better. No, I am sure. It's not.

Haven't seen Berserk, and from the sound of it I might not want to.

Berserk makes Game of Thrones look like Sailor Moon season 1. It's very grim and brutal. The manga even more so. I'd only recommend it (with the big exception of the recent anime, because it is hideous) if you go in knowing that and are ok with it.

Spoiler

So far the Pegasus stuff is mostly innocuous to me. Even residing in her room doesn't really feel awkward yet. Though I suppose some episodes in I may find this position reversed.

The biggest problem with Pegasus is coming off the heels of the other Sailor Guardians in S and not measuring up to them. Like he's just a deus ex machina who talks to a 9-year old and doesn't want to be captured by a carnival of sexual predators. No personality or anything besides than fascinating Chibi-Usa.

More Cardcaptor Sakura and JoJo's (Steven Universe updates maybe tomorrow - might get an episode or two in during lunchbreak or some such).

CCS:

Spoiler

6 episodes in now, still nothing that even remotely suggests this will be about anything other than capturing cards and Sakura being adorable. Not sure about the former, but I could watch the latter for a while yet before getting bored. Kero-chan hinted at a possible upgrade for him with enough cards. Something's going to happen at some point, I guess. The fith episode dealt with plush toys from a new store that recently opened (and Sakura and friends helping the owner out, overall the episode was fine but less enjoyable than the ones before), the sixth one with Sakura's mother who died when she was three.

Have I mentioned yet how kawaii Sakura is?

Spoiler

51pms4.jpg

Of course, what else?

Spoiler

giphy.gif

Man, show me something kawaii now!

Spoiler

giphy.gif

She should just be named Adorable-chan. Have I mentioned I really like the animation in this?

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure

Spoiler

Oh, so Speedwagon isn't dead yet, and figures, can't have something happening in 1938 wihout Nazis, eh? Didn't expect Straizo to bite it that quickly. Nor that the attack is actually really called SPACE RIPPER STINGY EYES. :p

The pacing of this part seems better than in Phantom Blood, but there are a lot more episodes, so maybe there'll be a lull in the middle (I kinda hope not, because it's really fun right now, and there'll be some balls yet... or so I heard today). Joseph sounds an awful lot like Hohenheim in Fullmetal Alchemist. Probably because it's the same seiyu. *checks* Right, it is!

Good on the girl for slapping Joseph silly because he called her a scarecrow. Heh.

1 hour ago, ArtistFormerlyKnownasKP said:

Berserk makes Game of Thrones look like Sailor Moon season 1. It's very grim and brutal. The manga even more so. I'd only recommend it (with the big exception of the recent anime, because it is hideous) if you go in knowing that and are ok with it.

I don't entirely mind grimdark or brutal, not in film or TV, animated or not, as long as it makes sense and fits. Therefore the Sansa parts in Game of Thrones that had everyone in a riot* didn't bother me all that much. What did they think Lord Bolton would do? Be nice and gentle? The show did overly rely on rape and violence for nothing but shock value at that point, so some of the criticism is more than justified in general of course. 

Spoiler

At least she didn't have to do it with Ramsay's dogs, like poor Jeyne Poole. Theon also got a great and more active role in the wedding night in the books. It's hard to imagine maybe but the TV show scene was really tame compared to the implication and actions of Ramsay in the books. I hope he gets his face bitten off in the books too. Assuming they're ever released. Little hope left I guess.

*Not because of the violence or the rape, anyway. About how utterly stupid that plotline was that D&D came up with? Oh, you bet. I just don't think Sailor Moon is the proper vehicle to deal with sexual assault, implied, real or otherwise. Beyond the level of the Prince Demande stuff, anyway.

Spoiler

It would be different if that stuff with the Trio went anywhere, but it doesn't.

Spoiler

They don't even get any comeuppance. Bah.

Edited by majestic
God damned forum software
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, majestic said:

SM Super S, 2 episodes in.

Spoiler

The new enemy is a freak circus. Lots of suggestive things like penetrating the mirror into the girls' dreams, finding a saddle to mount the pegasus and Usagi feeling a mysterious power inside her body when the pegasus turns her into Super Sailor Moon. I think I'm catching up to some discussions in this thread...🙀

The next victim is Usagi's Mother.

• Gasp! 1

sign.jpg

More SuperS. I'm going to sleep now. 

First is the one with the old chef lady and has Chibi-Usa call what Hawk Eye did sexual assault. Kinda weird to just blurt it out, but I guess even the show recognizes it. Hawk Eye of course denied it, but I guess that tracks with irl sexual assault.

Second was the football kid who likes Chibi-Usa and the other Sailor Guardians finally getting a power upgrade. OH GOD! OH NO! HELP ME!

Where to start? Let's get the obvious out of the way, Fish Eye tries to seduce a child of at most 12. This is bad enough to disgust both a guy who chases and magically roofies teenage girls and a dude who just tried to rape a granny, but based on prior interactions (and their own actions) it's hard to tell if they're grossed out by the gay angle or the (more blatant) pedophile one. I get the feeling it's going to get worse.

Then of course we get to where it is definitely established Chibi-Usa and Pegasus have a romantic relationship, they even play the song that they did when Sailor Moom was pining after Tuxedo Kamen while Pegasus tried to save Chibi-Usa with his horn. I hated the horse****ers when I found out about certain segments of My Little Pony fans (which was the same time I learned that My Little Pony was a real show) and seeing Chibi-Usa get turned into one isn't great. Like if you were going for this romance stuff at least make Pegasus humanoid.

Finally we end up with yet more confirmation on how everyone is ****ing useless without Pegasus blasting them with his horn. I get how in Sailor Moon needing someone's help is almost a constant, but this is somehow grating to me. At least it's not a tournament arc. Worst season by far.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, ArtistFormerlyKnownasKP said:

At least it's not a tournament arc.

Damned by faint praise. :p

What did I write in my write up... let's check. Yeah, that seems to fit with your impression.

Hide contents

143    Time to Believe in Pegasus: The Super Transformations of the Four Guardians   

Overall rating: No, please stop. Alien factor 2/5, Creep factor OVER NINE THOUSAND. Story episode.

Spoiler

Pegasus becomes jealous when a 13 year old asks Chibi-Usa out and Fish-Eye talks about how much he likes adolescent boys because of their cute body proportions. Then he dresses up as a woman and talks to the boy, who is a budding soccer star player and says... *drumroll*

"I like soccer players, their muscular thighs. It's like please, land a goal inside ME."

Why, why? Whyyyyyyyyyyyy? Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

• Gasp! 1

Spoiler
5 hours ago, ArtistFormerlyKnownasKP said:

This is bad enough to disgust both a guy who chases and magically roofies teenage girls and a dude who just tried to rape a granny

Hey, I'm glad you're disgusted and all...but um, which one of these is you again? :p

Okay, terrible attempts at humor aside...oh, no, wait, actually, that's all I had, since this sounds awful.

Today is probably S: The Movie-watching day. If not today, then tomorrow morning: hope it's good.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:
  Hide contents

Hey, I'm glad you're disgusted and all...but um, which one of these is you again? :p

Okay, terrible attempts at humor humor aside...oh, no, wait, actually, that's all I had, since this sounds awful.

Today is probably S: The Movie-watching day. If not today, then probably tomorrow morning: hope it's good.

It's sure better than anything in SuperS.

Spoiler

Except the Luna nipple boobies, maybe. That is just plain weird.

Edited by majestic
  • Gasp! 2