The What Are You Reading thread (now with a simpler name)

Amentep

On 4/6/2024 at 4:35 AM, Sarex said:

Finished book 6. This one was a bit of a slog. They tried to do a similar narrative to God Emperor, but the issue was that none of the characters where that interesting. What it does do wel l is set up any future plot.

Restarting that now, forgot how much I like Bellonda (BH and KJA's handling and killing her off in their books is a small reason they can both get ****ed).  Book 5's ending seemed very rushed.

My paperbacks are indeed shoddy as well, half of book 5 has Paul referred to as Maud'dib, then switches to Muad'Dib.  And in book 6 one page has "Honored Matre" replaced by spaces.   I get a kick of defective books, favourite example was a Warhammer 40k book that had 6 pages from a different book entirely inserted into it.

• Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

2 hours ago, Malcador said:

Book 5's ending seemed very rushed.

I mean all of the books had relatively quick culminations. A battle happened, these guys won, closing dialogue. He doesn't go in to much details.

2 hours ago, Malcador said:

My paperbacks are indeed shoddy as well, half of book 5 has Paul referred to as Maud'dib, then switches to Muad'Dib.  And in book 6 one page has "Honored Matre" replaced by spaces.   I get a kick of defective books, favourite example was a Warhammer 40k book that had 6 pages from a different book entirely inserted into it.

Maybe it's worth some money now. 😄

• Like 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

5 hours ago, Sarex said:

I mean all of the books had relatively quick culminations. A battle happened, these guys won, closing dialogue. He doesn't go in to much details.

That is fair. I guess the battle where Rakis gets wasted isn't necessary to show (this was a bother to KJA/BH for some reason).

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Hunters of Dune. I have to be honest, I skimmed half of the book. At this point I am reading Sandworms of Dune for the plot.

4 hours ago, Sarex said:

Hunters of Dune. I have to be honest, I skimmed half of the book. At this point I am reading Sandworms of Dune for the plot.

Only book I have returned to the library the day I got it, got so upset I felt like destroying the book. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, HoonDing said:

"Hunters of Dune"

Just stop. Stop while you still can.

He must make it to the Ultra Spice

3 hours ago, Sarex said:

Well this explains why the sons books were not that good.

2:03:05 timestamp

Huh, maybe I'll try to read Dune. I don't like Villeneuve's movies because they very much feel too mechanistic and don't have the weird psychedelica that is in Lynch's Dune and apparently the books.

Anyway I read Raw Dog - a book about hot dogs, the labor to make them, and a breakup happening over a road trip. It's pretty good tbh. Next up is After the Revolution.

• Gasp! 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Well this was...painful... It may not have been worth reading it even for the story. I already knew the story, but I thought the book would connect the dots and add transitions between story points. Sadly I didn't find any of that. The books seem like a kid playing in his fathers garage with tools he doesn't know anything about. Maybe it's because I was skimming through it that something was lost on me, but I mostly skimmed through the Murbella pov, so that I doubt that explains Duncan's story at all. Teg's ending was, first of all a spit in the eye of the reader and second of all so unimaginative. So much words spent on characters that did not matter at all and so little spent on the one who is the supposed epicenter of the story.

I don't know what to say, maybe the son should have tried some shrooms, but I doubt that could have helped any with this train wreck....

This book is basically a fanfick novel.

Edited by Sarex
  • Haha 1

Finally finished Chapterhouse, the cliffhanger ending is more annoying than I recall. 

• Like 1