Food Thread - What are you eating?

Amentep

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ShadySands said:

Coq au vin in the pressure cooker I just got for my birthday. Was really good with some mashed potatoes.

Very French choice Coq au vin, I love it and its relatively simple to make once you have all the ingredients prepared 

Its good to see you dont reject foreign food in the interests of US patriotism 🇫🇷 

This is a recipe similar to how I have made it

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/coq-au-vin-recipe4-2011654

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Sunday is one of my best days due to various reasons that include English Breakfast time, today Im cooking eggs, potatoes rosti, bacon, mutton sausage and toast 🍳

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Went to Whataburger as my normal hangover meal. They have a new spicy ketchup that is the best condiment fast food I've had. 20/10 would eat again.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

Whataburger is delicious but everything there contains at least 9000 calories. Still, the Monterey Melt is awesome.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

12 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

Whataburger is delicious but everything there contains at least 9000 calories. Still, the Monterey Melt is awesome.

Around here the MM got kicked off for a mushroom burger or something. It's a shame, because it was a lot different than the other stuff and I usually dislike mushrooms. Still the Patty Melt has endured and it's probably my favorite.

But yeah, I don't eat it if I can't fit at least 1500 calories into the daily budget. I think I could cut out the fries and save 400, but that spicy ketchup is too good to pass up.

• Sad 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

They got rid of the Monterey Melt? 

It doesn't really affect me since I no longer get sent to Texas, but why in the world would they take one of the best items off the menu? Now if Cook Out ever got rid of the Cheddar Style Chicken Sandwich I would riot.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

16 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

They got rid of the Monterey Melt? 

It doesn't really affect me since I no longer get sent to Texas, but why in the world would they take one of the best items off the menu? Now if Cook Out ever got rid of the Cheddar Style Chicken Sandwich I would riot.

I have no idea, apparently the all-time favorites selection varies by region. As far as I know the Patty Melt and Honey Barbecue Chicken are the only constants. It's a real shame.

This reminds me. I was watching an episode of AEW Dynamite probably a year and a half to two years ago from somewhere in Texas, probably Garland. This was just before the start of the pandemic that we will be dealing with for the rest of eternity. Anyway, Dr. Britt Baker D.M.D. (she legitimately is a dentist, it's not a gimmick) was cutting a promo at the top of the ramp saying standard heelish stuff. Then she told the crowd to shut their fat Whataburger faces. You could audibly hear all 6 or 7 thousand people in the building collectively gasp. You DO NOT besmirch the good name of Whataburger in Texas.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

On 1/16/2022 at 3:13 PM, Keyrock said:

This reminds me. I was watching an episode of AEW Dynamite probably a year and a half to two years ago from somewhere in Texas, probably Garland. This was just before the start of the pandemic that we will be dealing with for the rest of eternity. Anyway, Dr. Britt Baker D.M.D. (she legitimately is a dentist, it's not a gimmick) was cutting a promo at the top of the ramp saying standard heelish stuff. Then she told the crowd to shut their fat Whataburger faces. You could audibly hear all 6 or 7 thousand people in the building collectively gasp. You DO NOT besmirch the good name of Whataburger in Texas.

:o But...that's the easiest way to generate heel heat!  Insult the hometown or a hometown institution.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

rile up a texas crowd is the easiest thing one may possible imagine. two words: boomer sooner. done.

then again, she probable weren't trying to start a riot.

HA! Good Fun!  

• Haha 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

29 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

Is that really the term for it? Thats awesome.

Yes, for wrestling it is. Also just referred to as heat. In the older days of wrestling, heels could generate enough heat that they'd get attacked by spectators. 

My dad knew a guy who worked at a local tv station, so he got in behind the scenes and got to see Freddie Blassie in his prime work the crowd such that security kept having to keep people from attacking him.

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

1 hour ago, Gfted1 said:

Is that really the term for it? Thats awesome.

Babyfaces get pop and heels get heat.

1 hour ago, Amentep said:

Yes, for wrestling it is. Also just referred to as heat. In the older days of wrestling, heels could generate enough heat that they'd get attacked by spectators. 

My dad knew a guy who worked at a local tv station, so he got in behind the scenes and got to see Freddie Blassie in his prime work the crowd such that security kept having to keep people from attacking him.

Ox Baker managed to start at least 1 riot by being such a dispicable heel. :lol:

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Yeah, it was in Cleveland. Baker had the 'heart punch' which had allegedly killed two wrestlers (Alberto Torres and Ray Gunkel, both who died after matches with Baker but not because of the matches) and the riot started after he repeatedly heart punched Ernie Ladd.

Jim Cornette and the Midnight Express against the Rock and Roll express triggered riots in Tulsa and Black Jack Mulligan got stabbed during a riot in Boston off the top of my head.

Obtopic, wrestling aired at 6 pm Sat and Sun so many childhood dinners were eaten with wrestling on.

• Like 1

Guys I am going to share  a gastronomic secret with you that I am not supposed to because its closely guarded  knowledge  handed down within  my family for generations through the centuries of colonialism but since I like you guys I dont mind 

@ShadySands but if anyone asks you about this you didnt hear this from me

When you eating any kind of sausage that includes normal bangers (UK colloquialism for typical pork sausage), cheese grillers, bockwurst, andouille, knockwurst and Weisswurst to name a few their is a mustard that will transform your sausage  to unparalleled levels of enjoyment 

That mustard is Maille Honey Mustard, yes the French do have the worlds best mustards ....well maybe German mustard is on the same level ?

https://us.maille.com/products/honey-mustard

You havent lived until you've tried it with sausage 🥘

John Milton 

Smashed burgers. Nothing fancy: 80/20 ground beef gently rolled into roughly inch and a half diameter balls. I don't have a flat griddle, but that would be ideal, so I use my largest frying pan (12"). High heat, put the balls of beef on the pan (2 per burger), put a piece of parchment paper on top of each and squash them flat and very thin. Season on one side (I use salt, pepper, and paprika), flip after 30 seconds, put cheese on both patties, put one patty on top of the other after 20 seconds, then put the stack on a (preferably brioche) bun after another 10 seconds. Add whatever veggies (I use lettuce, tomato, and onion) and condiments and eat. It's greasy and messy but super delicious, like a burger from a good greasy spoon.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Ribeye seared in cast iron with some roasted vegetables on the side. Nothing like a steak to end the week. (Nevermind that I have to work tomorrow)

7 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

Smashed burgers. Nothing fancy: 80/20 ground beef gently rolled into roughly inch and a half diameter balls. I don't have a flat griddle, but that would be ideal, so I use my largest frying pan (12"). High heat, put the balls of beef on the pan (2 per burger), put a piece of parchment paper on top of each and squash them flat and very thin. Season on one side (I use salt, pepper, and paprika), flip after 30 seconds, put cheese on both patties, put one patty on top of the other after 20 seconds, then put the stack on a (preferably brioche) bun after another 10 seconds. Add whatever veggies (I use lettuce, tomato, and onion) and condiments and eat. It's greasy and messy but super delicious, like a burger from a good greasy spoon.

You know, I've never done smashed burgers. I don't mind thin patties but I was taught that smashing them took too much of the juices out. How does it compare to just doing regular patties?

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, KP on top of ZA WARUDO said:

I was taught that smashing them took too much of the juices out.

It's actually the exact opposite. You want to use ground beef, not preformed patties, those are way too compacted. Gently roll the beef into vague ball shapes, use as little pressure as possible. Parchment paper acts as both a sealant to keep juices from escaping and a buffer to keep the beef from sticking to your spatula. Because there is a flat piece of metal on one side and a piece of parchment paper on the other very little juice can escape when being squashed and because it's high heat and thin patty it cooks very quickly, thus not giving juices much time to cook out of the meat. These are some of the juiciest burgers I have ever eaten.

Pro-tip: I make a sauce that's mostly mayonnaise, a bit of mustard, some horseradish, some worcestershire, and a dash of hot sauce for the condiment.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Thanks 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

49 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

It's actually the exact opposite. You want to use ground beef, not preformed patties, those are way too compacted. Gently roll the beef into vague ball shapes, use as little pressure as possible. Parchment paper acts as both a sealant to keep juices from escaping and a buffer to keep the beef from sticking to your spatula. Because there is a flat piece of metal on one side and a piece of parchment paper on the other very little juice can escape when being squashed and because it's high heat and thin patty it cooks very quickly, thus not giving juices much time to cook out of the meat. These are some of the juiciest burgers I have ever eaten.

Pro-tip: I make a sauce that's mostly mayonnaise, a bit of mustard, some horseradish, some worcestershire, and a dash of hot sauce for the condiment.

Hmm, I think I'll try this the next time I make burgers. About how many patties per pound?

32 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

Mississippi pot roast with rolls and a salad

How does that work out? The pre-made stuff as seasoning usually turns me off.