Jump to content

Can not save , save menu says "Max Save Esed"


Recommended Posts

On 10/4/2020 at 3:56 PM, FigNewton said:

That was the first thing I tried, no luck. 

Do the deleted saves keep coming back? I don't get that message, but I'm unable to save, and when I delete old saves, they just reappear the next time I load the game. Something with the save sync isn't working right.

Edited by RagingRedneckTV
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, RagingRedneckTV said:

Do the deleted saves keep coming back? I don't get that message, but I'm unable to save, and when I delete old saves, they just reappear the next time I load the game. Something with the save sync isn't working right.

This is not the case for me. I can delete my saves just fine, and they stay deleted. It is just loading, or saving games that is permanently messed up . Even reinstalling the game did not help.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, RagingRedneckTV said:

Do the deleted saves keep coming back? I don't get that message, but I'm unable to save, and when I delete old saves, they just reappear the next time I load the game. Something with the save sync isn't working right.

I have just posted about this issue and am having the same exact symptoms and messages.  The physical files are repopulating in the “Saved Games” folder in windows after deletion and restart of the game.  It is absolutely a cloud sync issue of some kind.  And “ESED” is most likely “USED” spelled incorrectly.  I have also sent an email to obsidian regarding this issue.  I am unable to save my game and can no longer progress. 
 

HOWEVER: I have successfully shared my save file with a friend who was able to “re-name” it and run it as the host (he is usually joining and I’m hosting).  This allows us to continue playing however there are still bad de-sync issues for us and I get kicked every time he builds something.  
 

we’ll just have to wait for a patch.  I’m sure they are working on it and are aware of all of these issues.  It seems like their net code could use some polishing.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have posted about my problems with this on multiple threads trying to figure something out with this, but it seems like people are experiencing some different "symptoms." I don't know if I feel better or worse knowing this is happening on both xbox and pc. If you're curious about what exactly happened to me and what I'm experiencing, im still the last post in a few of the threads so it should be pretty easy to find. Wish I could help, but all we can do is wait for them to figure out what exactly is causing all this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/6/2020 at 2:04 PM, RagingRedneckTV said:

I have posted about my problems with this on multiple threads trying to figure something out with this, but it seems like people are experiencing some different "symptoms." I don't know if I feel better or worse knowing this is happening on both xbox and pc. If you're curious about what exactly happened to me and what I'm experiencing, im still the last post in a few of the threads so it should be pretty easy to find. Wish I could help, but all we can do is wait for them to figure out what exactly is causing all this.

So it seems like 3.1 has fixed the save issue for me. None of the save files after 3.0 ever came back, but I'm able to successfully delete old saves now, and the new saves I made after 3.1 are staying put. For now anyway. Hopefully the issue was resolved, and they don't just disappear again later. I have closed and restarted my game multiple times and so far, so good. Just wanted to share that with you in case you wanted to check on your situation again. Good luck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, RagingRedneckTV said:

So it seems like 3.1 has fixed the save issue for me. None of the save files after 3.0 ever came back, but I'm able to successfully delete old saves now, and the new saves I made after 3.1 are staying put. For now anyway. Hopefully the issue was resolved, and they don't just disappear again later. I have closed and restarted my game multiple times and so far, so good. Just wanted to share that with you in case you wanted to check on your situation again. Good luck.

Glad to hear it.  As of last night I still have the same issue.  I don’t think it’s any better or worse, but I still can’t save.  Still getting the “Max Save Slots Used” error in single player and multiplayer.  I’ve sent another email to obsidian support regarding the issue after the 3.1 update.  It may be user specific, as in issues tied to specific Microsoft accounts and some specific cloud issue with said account.  Who knows.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Kevin O'Hara said:

Glad to hear it.  As of last night I still have the same issue.  I don’t think it’s any better or worse, but I still can’t save.  Still getting the “Max Save Slots Used” error in single player and multiplayer.  I’ve sent another email to obsidian support regarding the issue after the 3.1 update.  It may be user specific, as in issues tied to specific Microsoft accounts and some specific cloud issue with said account.  Who knows.  

a previous patch increased the save game limit from 256mb to 1 gb (if my memory is right).  You have to uninstall the game and reinstall for that change.  Did you do that yet?

                                                

Xbox One X

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, McSquirl Nugget said:

a previous patch increased the save game limit from 256mb to 1 gb (if my memory is right).  You have to uninstall the game and reinstall for that change.  Did you do that yet?

I did uninstall and reinstall.  And the issue persisted.  I had 0 saves and then upon game startup it had synced all my old saves and said max slots used.  Though I’m happy to try again to see if that helps. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Kevin O'Hara said:

Glad to hear it.  As of last night I still have the same issue.  I don’t think it’s any better or worse, but I still can’t save.  Still getting the “Max Save Slots Used” error in single player and multiplayer.  I’ve sent another email to obsidian support regarding the issue after the 3.1 update.  It may be user specific, as in issues tied to specific Microsoft accounts and some specific cloud issue with said account.  Who knows.  

Sorry to hear you didnt have the same luck I did. I'm not sure it would be anything user or account specific with as widespread of an issue as it seems to be. What has me stumped is the time frame that its happening in. From what I can tell, some people started experiencing this long before 3.0, and others are just now starting to experience it. It really doesn't even seem to be something linked to an update. My guess is there's something off with their sync setup. A friend of mine had an issue with his save files weeks before the 3.0 update. I haven't experienced the max saves issue, and I generally keep around 20 saves in my log just in case something happens. Before I lost all my saves that were after the 3.0 update, I had almost 40. I figured maybe that was what caused the missing files so I tried to delete some of them. Then the next time I opened the game to see if my newest saves were back, all the ones I had just deleted were back. It seems to have some slight differences between all the cases, but it does seem to always end up coming down to the sync. That's where my money is at. Hopefully the guys at obsidian are checking that aspect of it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Any idea why my save folder on PC (Game Pass) has over 1,000 folders, all containing a Data file in them?

I also can't save in game because it says "MAX SAVE FILES ESED" which I'm guessing is a typo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I play on xbox one. The only time i experienced this issue is when i tried playing the game with my xbox in offline mode and completely disconnected from the internet. Unpluged the modem wire, disabled the wi-fi, all that. Then started a game. Played for about two hours, tried to save, and got the same max saves reached error. The only fix i could manage was reconnecting the internet, deleting all saves everywhere option which deletes all the local and cloud saves, then starting a new game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is definitely an error on their end.

I tried deleting the save games in my folder, but it just keeps cloud syncing them when I load the game up again. There are over 1,000 folders that I end up deleting, and all of them get cloudsync'd back in.

I have kept the number of saves I have to a minimum. When I go in-game and go to the Load menu, there are less than a dozen save games I can choose from. I have no idea why it's creating 1,000+ folders in the save directory. Nothing is fixing it. I can't save my game at all because of the Max Game Files Used message.

Edit:

So I had multiple instances of the save folder saved. (I back up the entire folder every day or two).

I put back an older folder which I know for sure did not have any issues. Now the game cloud syncs over it each time, with the 1,000+ save folder.

Edited by Eun
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Heres images of my two folders. First one is the folder I'm trying to put back to the save directory. This folder is much older and never had any issues.

5BcpkqW.jpg

Here is the one that keeps getting sync'd from the cloud, which overwrites the folder above that I just copy-pasted. I don't understand the drastic increase in save games. I only keep about 3 auto-saves in the game. And I've kept my manual saves to a bare minimum, only keeping about a dozen total between my 2 playthroughs.

uOPY7SP.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Eun said:
1 hour ago, Eun said:

Heres images of my two folders. First one is the folder I'm trying to put back to the save directory. This folder is much older and never had any issues.

5BcpkqW.jpg

Here is the one that keeps getting sync'd from the cloud, which overwrites the folder above that I just copy-pasted. I don't understand the drastic increase in save games. I only keep about 3 auto-saves in the game. And I've kept my manual saves to a bare minimum, only keeping about a dozen total between my 2 playthroughs.

uOPY7SP.jpg

Eun, I am having the same issue.  The cloud services is re-download/re-constituting those saves from its last known state.  And yes, they are all jumbled in terms of data and files being put in individual folders instead a root folder for that save.  As Redneck mentioned earlier, it’s a sync issue, and I agree.  For whatever reason our cloud footprints are not registering new save activity or, perhaps not even connecting to the game properly.  This is resulting in the cloud syncs “looping” and insisting that our saves are maxed out, and putting its last known saves back into our computer.  I have tested this multiple times after multiple reinstalls.

 

As of right now I have reinstalled the game 4 times, tried different hard drives, tried turning off all other services that could interfere, and nothing has helped.  After my latest reinstall I get the cloud data syncing loop over and over and can’t even get into a game at all.  So I’m just waiting.  I’ve email obsidian support multiple times and sent a recent save file too.  Not sure what else to do.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think Steam has an option to disable cloud saves right? I'm not sure if we can transfer save files between Game Pass and Steam, but if it were possible, I was thinking of disabling Steam cloud save, putting my old "backup" in, then re-enable Steam cloud to sync my "backup" to the cloud. Then transfer the new sync'd saves to the Game Pass version.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Eun said:

I think Steam has an option to disable cloud saves right? I'm not sure if we can transfer save files between Game Pass and Steam, but if it were possible, I was thinking of disabling Steam cloud save, putting my old "backup" in, then re-enable Steam cloud to sync my "backup" to the cloud. Then transfer the new sync'd saves to the Game Pass version.

Game pass doesn’t give you any option to modify the way you save, i.e. disable cloud saves.  In the gamepass version (not sure about steam) it won’t even let you get into any game without it syncing with the cloud.  I’ve tried any number of options for removing files and replacing them with backups, and while I can sometimes access those saves, it doesn’t matter.  the old ones just come back and fill up all the slots which keeps creating the save error.  
 

again, hopefully will be fixed soon.  Obviously if ANYONE hears of a workaround, we’d all like to know.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah I just reinstalled the game, and got stuck in an infinite loop with the Cloud Sync window "Syncing your data with the cloud" popup. It would popup for a second, close, and another would popup.

I managed to restart enough times and put one of my back up folders in, and I was able to load my most recent manual save. But like you said, once I quit the game and restarted, the cloud save sync overwrote it and it was back to a random set of saves that are ~10 (in-game) days behind my true last manual save.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah.  I had the same issue in terms of a fresh re-install and getting stuck in a loop.  It’s acting like the game is trying to ping the cloud server and part of the code just keeps accidentally triggering it over and over without resolution.  Well now we know, with more certainty that reinstalling has zero effect.  Good luck to us all in patiently waiting.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

UPDATE:

I finally heard back direct from OBSIDIAN SUPPORT but it’s mostly what I thought.  At least they are aware and working on it 

 

Hello Kevin,

I'm sorry you ran into this issue with the save files . The team is aware of a few variations of this issue and are still investigating the cause in the hopes that they can get a fix out as soon as possible. In the meantime, some players have reported that uninstalling and reinstalling Grounded triggered their cloud saves to resync and brought their saves back. It may be worth trying this to gain back any lost progress until the team can get a fix out that prevents these save issues.

If you happen to learn anything else about this save issue or if you run into any other issues, please don't hesitate to let us know so we can look into those as well. In case it helps, we recently created a Grounded Issue Tracker and Grounded Feature Board if you want to check the status and latest information about commonly reported issues and new features coming to Grounded.

Thank you for letting us know about this issue with your save files and sorry again for all the trouble it has been causing.



--
William Beasley
Player Support Analyst
support@obsidian.net

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Kevin O'Hara said:

UPDATE:

I finally heard back direct from OBSIDIAN SUPPORT but it’s mostly what I thought.  At least they are aware and working on it 

 

Hello Kevin,

I'm sorry you ran into this issue with the save files . The team is aware of a few variations of this issue and are still investigating the cause in the hopes that they can get a fix out as soon as possible. In the meantime, some players have reported that uninstalling and reinstalling Grounded triggered their cloud saves to resync and brought their saves back. It may be worth trying this to gain back any lost progress until the team can get a fix out that prevents these save issues.

If you happen to learn anything else about this save issue or if you run into any other issues, please don't hesitate to let us know so we can look into those as well. In case it helps, we recently created a Grounded Issue Tracker and Grounded Feature Board if you want to check the status and latest information about commonly reported issues and new features coming to Grounded.

Thank you for letting us know about this issue with your save files and sorry again for all the trouble it has been causing.



--
William Beasley
Player Support Analyst
support@obsidian.net

Well it's good to see they acknowledged the issue. Im hoping they get it resolved soon. I gave in and started from my pre-3.0 save, and finally got back the 20+ days I had lost. Then today when I started the game, all my saves using 3.0 are listed as unknown. They still load correctly, but I'm VERY hesitant to keep playing them just in case they decide to go missing like the last ones. It's a very frustrating situation. I feel for everyone who has lost progress over this. Also, I can confirm that uninstall/reinstall didn't help at all with missing saves, and it didn't help the sync process at all. Honestly I would caution against it. That's what caused me to lose my 20+ days worth of saves in the first place. Unfortunately the problem with sync leave us with two choices: One, keep playing and risk losing days worth of time and effort, or two, just don't play and hope they get it resolved soon. Good luck to all of you. Please let us know if you come across any new information about a fix. Thanks.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Does anyone know what the wgs folder in SystemAppData inside the Microsoft.Maine folder is for? It looks to be save games, but those exist in the User/Saved Games folder don't they?

The wgs folder seems bloated with a ton of saves like my Saved Games folder and I was wondering if I could delete them. The folders are not 100% identical to the actual Saved Games folder.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

UPDATE As of 0.32:

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the game 3 times and on my 3rd time, after I waited for the cloud syning loop to continue finish, it finally did.  After it finished i restarted the game and could FINALLY save the game again.  This is on PC Gamepass current patch.  For those of you still experiencing the "Mas Save Slots Used" and the syncing data pop-up loop, I suggest just let it go for a while.  Maybe takes 20 minutes maybe 2 hours, i have no idea.  But that worked for me.  Asisde from that I am not experiencing any major issues aside from the ones I was previously having.  Lag/De-sync hot/client issues

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...