Jump to content
  • Sign Up
Sign in to follow this  
Michael Skinner

Form of fast travel perhaps?

Recommended Posts

Maybe an ability to fast travel to base markers at least.  Would be nice to not always have to run the entire map to get back to the base you want to go to.  Sorry if this has been suggested before , didn't see it anywhere, so figured I would pop it in here. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd rather not see fast travel in the game.  the map is small enough it's not needed, even when they build the under construction sessions i don't think it would be big enough to warrant teleporting to base as a default option.

Now, if we could eventually craft a teleport device with limited use, that would be cool.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could get down with something we build later via unlocking from the Raw Science shop or something.  Having to craft the device would be cool.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't see any point in Fast Travel, at all, if we only have the space of a single small backyard.
If they open this up to a Whole City Block ... then maybe I can see Fast Travel.

Right now you can run from one end of the playable non-construction zone area to the other end ...
in approximately 2 minutes with Spider Armor and a Bee Helmet, the Explorer Perk makes you faster too.

If you haven't progressed far enough in the game to even HAVE Spider Armor and/or the Bee Armor ... 
then finish exploring the yard.

The whole point of a survival exploration game ~ IS ~ walking around and surviving the dangers.
If that's too much for you ... maybe you're playin the wrong game ... 
This ain't a fast paced game ... we ain't "droppin" nowhere .... we're Grounded.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gnith said:

The whole point of a survival exploration game ~ IS ~ walking around and surviving the dangers.
If that's too much for you ... maybe you're playin the wrong game ... 
This ain't a fast paced game ... we ain't "droppin" nowhere .... we're Grounded.

Well said.  

That's my favorite part about this game,  there's no pace to it but what you set.

On the other hand, for those that have explored every inch of the yard, and want to get back to their home base without spending the few minutes to run there I can see a crafted device for teleporting to your base.  There's a few times i wished i had one :)  like when your about done for the night and need to log off (mom, better half, etc. agro maybe? ), but want to get from the rock pile by the water drain and to your home base by the berry bushes.  A limited use - like you can only use it once, then it has to charge for 7 in game days (advancing time by sleeping is not counted) i could go for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't like to see fast travel, but maybe faster travel. Like bug/spider mounts perhaps or other small animals like mice. Something like a 50 percent speed boost over running your self.

Possibly even flying mounts ala butterflies or moths.

Ideally with strict stamina limits so they'd be great for getting from a to b quickly, but you couldn't use them constantly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would love to see a small form of fast travel. I like traveling and learning the layout of the land so i believe the fast travel should be very limited like, you can only teleport from one station to another and only once a day or something, just to make trips from the upper hedge to the pesticide spray somewhat more bearable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/11/2020 at 6:24 PM, flippy25101 said:

I would love to see a small form of fast travel. I like traveling and learning the layout of the land so i believe the fast travel should be very limited like, you can only teleport from one station to another and only once a day or something, just to make trips from the upper hedge to the pesticide spray somewhat more bearable.

Perhaps there could be something like a matter displacement conveyance device in the Labs that were used by the high level administration types.  That way we could somehow obtain the pass code to use  the system now that the Labs have been apparently abandon.   Then you could limit the fast travel option to only traveling between the Main Labs and only in close proximity to each other, so you couldn't say, displace yourself clear across the yard from one Lab to another, but you could displace yourself to the nearest Lab from the one you are currently in.  

I mean we are talking about people who have the scientific ability and know-how to build a shrinking machine... I think matter displacement would be redundant to them by now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Michael Skinner said:

Perhaps there could be something like a matter displacement conveyance device in the Labs that were used by the high level administration types.  That way we could somehow obtain the pass code to use  the system now that the Labs have been apparently abandon.   Then you could limit the fast travel option to only traveling between the Main Labs and only in close proximity to each other, so you couldn't say, displace yourself clear across the yard from one Lab to another, but you could displace yourself to the nearest Lab from the one you are currently in.  

I mean we are talking about people who have the scientific ability and know-how to build a shrinking machine... I think matter displacement would be redundant to them by now.

that's an idea.  Once the other labs are opened up maybe a fast travel between labs only.  from Oak Tree to Hedge, etc., and other labs put in the game later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/11/2020 at 3:47 PM, nekogod said:

I wouldn't like to see fast travel, but maybe faster travel. Like bug/spider mounts perhaps or other small animals like mice. Something like a 50 percent speed boost over running your self.

Possibly even flying mounts ala butterflies or moths.

Ideally with strict stamina limits so they'd be great for getting from a to b quickly, but you couldn't use them constantly.

Normally, I'd say i completely disagree to the idea of mounts. Don't get me wrong, mounts would be really cool, and I'd love to be riding around on a Spider, or even a Soldier ant. The problem with that though, is that this game seems to be trying to keep the insects as accurate to real life as possible. And something you need to know about bugs in real life is, that they are not tamable at all. Their brains just don't work that way. They are wired completely differently from birds or mammals or other social creatures. They simply cannot make the association of pet/master or make that child/parent imprinting at birth like some larger animals do. They are driven by instinct alone.

I could keep going on about this to drive the point home even more, but there is one big counterpoint to this that could render my argument invalid, or at least there could be, if Obsidian decides to go with this idea.... (no joke, i literally just thought of this while typing my argument)

Insect mind control technology. This is a sci-fi game after all. If there are several miniaturized labs all around the yard, maybe one of them could be hiding technology to control insects. It could be control chips, brainwashing chemicals, or who knows what else. We don't yet know what the other labs are be hiding. Hopefully, this could be one of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2020 at 2:20 PM, Michael Skinner said:

Maybe an ability to fast travel to base markers at least.  Would be nice to not always have to run the entire map to get back to the base you want to go to.  Sorry if this has been suggested before , didn't see it anywhere, so figured I would pop it in here. :)

Yup.

This is really needed.  

You know what I do?  Set a death respawn point and die after exploring in order to fast travel back.  I have multiple stash boxes in multiple locations full of multiple sets of armor, weapons, food, crafting items and workbenches.  Plus backpack loot marks my last location without building a marker.

If anything let me build fast travel points using high tier materials and maybe able to set a maximum of 5.

Let's be honest, using a pair of aphid shoes allows players to avoid all enemies and danger. So why make us run from Oak tree after receiving mission to the hedges for blueberries to complete mission?  Then run back to oak tree to turn it in? 

The survival should be in harvesting the berries while enemies roam around you.  Just running between areas you've visited 40 times gets boring fast.

Also, if I kill too many bugs and my next quest is "hunter" for that bug type I have to wait about 2 in game days or more before they respawn.  So I'm better off not killing anything unnecessarily and just running through yard to the objective.

It's kinda dumb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2020 at 5:20 PM, Michael Skinner said:

Maybe an ability to fast travel to base markers at least.  Would be nice to not always have to run the entire map to get back to the base you want to go to.  Sorry if this has been suggested before , didn't see it anywhere, so figured I would pop it in here. :)

Zip lines may be coming in the near future to allow for faster point A to point B. However I like running around getting from one area to the other. It adds to the premise of survival which is what this game is all about. With a few areas I've built myself "safe zones" per say so that I can reach an area and avoid a fight. 

Edited by RazielDERF
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2020 at 2:20 PM, Michael Skinner said:

Maybe an ability to fast travel to base markers at least.  Would be nice to not always have to run the entire map to get back to the base you want to go to.  Sorry if this has been suggested before , didn't see it anywhere, so figured I would pop it in here. :)

I think the upcoming zipline is going to help with this. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/15/2020 at 8:55 AM, Balkoth the Lich said:

Insect mind control technology. This is a sci-fi game after all. If there are several miniaturized labs all around the yard, maybe one of them could be hiding technology to control insects. It could be control chips, brainwashing chemicals, or who knows what else. We don't yet know what the other labs are be hiding. Hopefully, this could be one of them.

It doesn't even need to be scifi esque, insect behaviour can be controlled to an extent in reality with pheremones so perhaps that could be an avenue, harvest some bug glands, make some pheremone juice, perhaps one that elicits a fear response drop it behind the bug and hang on while it dashes a good distance away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...