for the wand, without any other source, i think the expectation is that the very weak on-hit chance to confuse the enemy is your source for intellect afflictions. really lame, i know. there's also a poison you can make that confuses the enemy, but i'm honestly scratching my head for a good alternate source if you're not wael, a wizard, a cipher, a chanter, or even a druid facing beasts

for robe of weyc upgrade, you have to actuially empower an ability. you can't self-empower. but other than that, it's pretty straightforward.

6 hours ago, Boeroer said:

Maybe you can dual-wield with the Whale of a Wand and cause some Charms while casting? Did not test this so don't be mad at me if it doesn't work. ;)

i just test this, and it work, thought its only 2 charge, so i have to rest every time i charm someone

Hm, you could also try to enchant Lethandria's Devotion with Captivating Crystal (can cause Confusion if you receive a crit). Or use Fool's Shoes if you meet enemies that want to confuse, charm or dominate you (if they are not immune). Squid's Grasp has an escape ability that casts an AoE confuse on activation. That might help to unlock the Weyc's Wand more quickly. 

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods