Hello there !

I just want to say I think Obsidian delivered a really nice game here ! It's really a shame it didn't sell more because it is so much enthralling and deep at different levels (gameplay, history, characters, etc). I really hope for a third one. But before, let's finish this one both in RTwP and TB xD.

Anyhow, I'm curious how do you guys work around with different types of NPC (story driven as Aloth, Eder and Xoti, faction-linked, sidekicks, generated one).

So far, I'm switching between story NPC at different time points to have as much perspective from my crew as I can, but I feel I miss the sidekicks part. But at the same time, it doesn't seem I'm missing much since they dont have personalities traits or sustained interactions with the rest of the crew or environments. But I'm not sure I'll be able to keep switching between story-driven NPC all the time since they don't get along with each other and it's difficult to optimize builds for an ever-chaning party.

So, I'm curious how do you guys deal with your parties ? Switching between characters ? Using a stable party ? If so, how do you choose which parties member you go with ? Determining in advance which factions you go with ?

Edited by Aerethiel

Normally I'm using a fixed party because I want to come up with new build ideas for the different official companions (e.g. playing Xoti as a SC Priest with a morning star to maximize her Blessed Harvest and going on from there or making Aloth a melee Battlemage and so on). But for the DLCs it can be fun to bring certain Sidekicks who are especially involved in that DLC (Vatnir & Ydwin in BoW, Fassina in FS, Konstanten in SSS and so on).

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

8 hours ago, Aerethiel said:

So, I'm curious how do you guys deal with your parties ? Switching between characters ? Using a stable party ? If so, how do you choose which parties member you go with ? Determining in advance which factions you go with ?

I have completed the game twice, just so that you know what kind of experience I have. It's decent, but it's not as if I know everything.

Anyway, I would recommend this: follow the recommendations that the game gives you. In other words, when the game suggests that you should bring this or that NPC along for this quest or that, it's a good idea to do it. This way, you will get the most content -- and by content I mean character interactions, narrative finesse and so on. For me, this tends to be the most interesting part of any RPG, and in Deadfire, the NPC recommendations for the quests were just very good.

As for the sidekicks, I never used them at all, except for the quests that they were recommended for. In other words, I had Ydwin with me for Beast of Winter, and I brought Konstanten along for SSS, and they were both good. I recommend you do the same. I did not bring Fassina with me into the Forgotten Sanctum, but I may well have missed something good there.

I think it's fairly easy to play the game in such a way that 1) you tend to have a fairly fixed party while at the same time 2) switching the characters a bit for specific quests according to what the game suggests.

Enjoy!

PS. If I were you, I wouldn't determine my faction in advance. I wanted to see as much as I could about all of them, and I made my choice only after that. My choice was that I didn't go with any of them.

12 hours ago, xzar_monty said:

I have completed the game twice, just so that you know what kind of experience I have. It's decent, but it's not as if I know everything.

when the game suggests that you should bring this or that NPC along for this quest or that, it's a good idea to do it. This way, you will get the most content -- and by content I mean character interactions, narrative finesse and so on.

That's exactly what I want and what I'm doing so far. Glad to see I'm not the only one, even if it means adopting a non-optimized gameplay combat and stats-wise.

Regarding factions...

12 hours ago, xzar_monty said:

I wanted to see as much as I could about all of them, and I made my choice only after that. My choice was that I didn't go with any of them.

So in a single playthrough, you completed pretty much all faction questlines ? I thought you'd end up too soon at the level cap while doing that.

But so far, yeah, it's really hard to pick a side haha. So much complexity involved in all factions, there is really no good or bad guy (which I like). It all comes back to their motivation. Rautai wants to supply his mainland, VTC are aggressively developing their economy, Huana are trying to survive and compete with global powers and Principi are pillaging. It really makes you think about your character motivation, background and interests. However, it DOES make me experience a bit of a FOMO and anxiety about making the right choice for my character so I guess the only way to live through that is experience most of their questlines firsthand and decide after.

Ty !

10 hours ago, Aerethiel said:

That's exactly what I want and what I'm doing so far. Glad to see I'm not the only one, even if it means adopting a non-optimized gameplay combat and stats-wise.

Optimization is really not necessary at all, unless you're the kind of person whose approach is always optimization. Even if you have way less than optimal stats and gear, you will do just fine. Optimization may be needed to an extent on the hardest difficulty (PotD), but otherwise certainly not.

Do don't need to optimize you characters for PotD either. The game mechanics and the content are pretty well balanced and the attributes don't have a colossal impact on the effectiveness of characters in general (there are exceptions of course).

A fair amount of meta-knowledge and/or good understanding of the underlying mechanics is what makes the game more easy than some optimized stats. As long as you don't wilfully gimp your chars you will be ok - if you know what you are doing. New players ususally can't know that (although I started into Deadfire on PotD and is was fine - that was at realease though where it was significantly easier than nowadays).

I'm currently playing a SC Furyshaper with Edér (MC Swashbuckler), Aloth (SC Wizard), Xoti (SC Harvester of Gaun) and Tekehu (SC Stormcaller). They are all not really optimized for anything (except the Furyshaper who's optimized for Barbaric Retalition - which means he wasn't optimized for 90% of the game before getting that) and it was a breeze again. I don't even use consumables besides resting food (but mostly the cheap standard stuff like Silverfin and Pork Meat - food you pick up everywhere randomly).

So tl;dr:  no optimized chars, no figurines, no scrolls, no potions, no problems. No need to worry. And if it feels too hard and is no fun: you can always tune down the difficulty, no shame in that. 

Edited by Boeroer

I'm playing ATM with the exact same core party as you (except furyshaper) on PotD! But since I'm still thinking on which faction to side with, I still keep changing it from time to time.

For optimization, I to keep up with a balanced party composition and roles. However, I'm surprised when you say you don't use potions or scrolls. I keep using them on more difficult encounters (for instance, Periki's Guild at lvl 10-11 and Undercity at llvl 9-10).  Are you also on PotD ? I might have less experience with the system as you if I look at the post counts;-).

No, no consumables besides food. It's not because I want a bigger challenge - I just don't like using them because it adds another layer of micromanagement in addition to active abilites and the rest of combat.
Oh, I forgot unguents - those I do use if I have to pass a tight skill check in scripted scenes or if I have to pick a difficult lock or so. But they are mostly non-combat related and that's fine.
And if I play a Nalpasca then I use drugs obviously because it wouldn't work without. 

1 hour ago, Aerethiel said:

Are you also on PotD ?

Yes. The only time I didn't play PotD was my first run in PoE1 which was done on "normal" - which I shelved rel. early because I learned so much about the mechanics during that half-run that I wanted to try something else (and with a bigger challenge).

50 minutes ago, Aerethiel said:

I might have less experience with the system as you if I look at the post counts;-).

Looking at the hours I put into both games that might be the case. ;) 

On 5/7/2020 at 12:13 PM, Boeroer said:

No, no consumables besides food. It's not because I want a bigger challenge - I just don't like using them because it adds another layer of micromanagement in addition to active abilites and the rest of combat.
Oh, I forgot unguents - those I do use if I have to pass a tight skill check in scripted scenes or if I have to pick a difficult lock or so. But they are mostly non-combat related and that's fine.
And if I play a Nalpasca then I use drugs obviously because it wouldn't work without. 

Yes. The only time I didn't play PotD was my first run in PoE1 which was done on "normal" - which I shelved rel. early because I learned so much about the mechanics during that half-run that I wanted to try something else (and with a bigger challenge).

Looking at the hours I put into both games that might be the case. ;) 

That is good to hear that you also don't like using potions.  am also not a big fan of the micro. I have an AI setup with the consumables, but I don't like to use it for every encounter.  II also never use explosives for the same reasons. 

18 hours ago, mjo2138 said:

That is good to hear that you also don't like using potions.

I also belong to this group. The only meaningful exception is the strongest healing potion, Miraculous Healing or whatever it was.

Generally, I think the boost-potion system is badly planned, and implemented in such a way that there's very little reason to use potions. I think it's a huge shame, given how many potions there are and how much work has clearly gone into them. But basically the problem is that 1) because the boost you get from nearly all potions is so small and 2) because the risk of being interrupted while drinking is so big, potions simply aren't worth it. Better to spend that time doing something else.

• Thanks 1