Paralyzed by indecision here. I mean, Twin Sting is pretty nice with it's Insect proc and damage, etc. but Persistence is also good because it's just so fast and also got the raw damage going for it, too.

Honestly it seems marginal so long as I take Gunner to get Twin Stings reload speed up, but... I really don't know. I mean I'm playing on Hard so it really comes down to style preference anyway. Hunting Bows seems more thematically appropriate to Sagani, but that's not really central to my question.

They both kill stuff good enough. Just wanted some thoughts on this.

Edited by Ignatius

Eventually a bow will outdamage a crossbow, even twin sting, once it gets upgraded, durganised, etc....

Stormcaller also has excellent damage output due it being dual damage type and applying a shock dr rebuff. You can argue it's even better against high dr enemies 

If Ituumak (the fox) has Predator's Sense then I'd recommend Persistence. Its wounding enchantment unlocks Predator's Sense.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Yes, it's great at higher levels because animal compainions' base damage scales very well with level.

Also check out Brutal Takedown. It doesn't work with Predator's Sense but it ignores 3/4 of enemies DR (which isn't mentioned anywhere in the description). That's especially great against stuff like thick beetles and animats and such.

You can make your animal companion hit like a truck (with Persistence more often and without the need for any active DoT). They hit a bit slow but the high numbers are fun. And with the bow your own single target damage output is also very nice.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

On 5/4/2020 at 9:15 PM, Ignatius said:

Paralyzed by indecision here. I mean, Twin Sting is pretty nice with it's Insect proc and damage, etc. but Persistence is also good because it's just so fast and also got the raw damage going for it, too.

Honestly it seems marginal so long as I take Gunner to get Twin Stings reload speed up, but... I really don't know. I mean I'm playing on Hard so it really comes down to style preference anyway. Hunting Bows seems more thematically appropriate to Sagani, but that's not really central to my question.

They both kill stuff good enough. Just wanted some thoughts on this.

You should consider Storm Caller with Heart of the Storm Passive. At least against close groups and a RS proc, it is pretty devastating.