Build Thread 3.0

Amentep

Went with the Corsair 32gb 3200mh cl16 kit (Should be a Samsung B-die unless they changed it in the revisions). It's just under 200 euros. I did not want to spend money on a 64gb kit. I think I'll try to run it on lower clocks and try to get a lower latency.

I went with the CMK32GX4M4Z3200C16 instead of CMK32GX4M4B3200C16, because the former is a Samsung die. I'm hoping I didn't make a mistake because the later one states it's x99 compatible and former one does not.

CMK16GX4M2B3200C16.png.30580a98a1278927aCMK16GX4M2z3200C16.png.9b010497ddb1d48c3

Edited by Sarex

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

• 5 weeks later...

Got my ram a couple of days ago, got around to installing it today. Failed at installing half of it, but once I got that sorted it booted up with the XMP profile (only has one) with no issues. Need to do a little stress testing.

• Like 2

Yeah, I always memtest86 new modules - feel like it's worth it to get it out of the way ASAP given how easily tested RAM is relative to other components.

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

15 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Yeah, I always memtest86 new modules - feel like it's worth it to get it out of the way ASAP given how easily tested RAM is relative to other components.

I forgot how much time that takes. I did one round the last test (hammer test) was on 50% before I interrupted... I'll probably leave it overnight if it's not too hot out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sarex said:

I forgot how much time that takes. I did one round the last test (hammer test) was on 50% before I interrupted... I'll probably leave it overnight if it's not too hot out.

If you put it on XMP (or whatever) and it gets through one pass without error, it's almost certainly good. There's not really much need to let it do the full 4 passes or whatever it wants to do by default unless you actively suspect that there's something wrong with the module.

• Thanks 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

Well...It wasn't only the ram, I guess they are using the GPU nowadays to handle streams as that is the only thing that's pegged out now. I can probably force it to go via CPU through some setting, will need to look in to that. Either way I'm not buying a new GPU until the prices drop down more.

On 5/2/2022 at 5:40 PM, Sarex said:

I need more ram. Been playing a newish game and it's eating my 16gb to the point that I can't even open a browser on another screen without is stuttering to hell. I'm looking at high frequency c14 or c15 kits on ebay and locally but other then this nothing jumps out and I'm kind of suspect of that kit and seller. I am kind of looking for something between 200-250euros, I would prefer 64gb but if I find a good deal I'll grab 32gb. Also I need it to be low profile to fit under my Noctua NH-D15, otherwise I need to grab another cooler, which is probably going to cost me 200-250 euros more...

Getting through the same situation, please share if you found something in this budget.
Thanks

1 hour ago, Brucks said:

Getting through the same situation, please share if you found something in this budget.

CMK32GX4M4Z3200C16 is under 200 euros. That is what I got.

Upgraded my CPU form R7 1700 --> R7 5700X. Basically +50% in frequency under load and not that far off in IPC too. Managed to resist the temptation to go totally bonkers and get a 6900XT and new PSU at the same time.

Good fun with the DRM too. New BIOS obviously has fTPM enabled by default, and it didn't like having a new CPU...

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Draft build idea

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler   
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard  
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory  
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  
Video Card: Asus Radeon RX 6600 XT 8 GB ROG STRIX GAMING OC Video Card  
Case: Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW ATX Mid Tower Case  
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2021) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply 

Not all too sure on the case, though.  But is just a draft.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

56 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Draft build idea

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler   
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard  
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory  
Video Card: Asus Radeon RX 6600 XT 8 GB ROG STRIX GAMING OC Video Card  
Case: Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW ATX Mid Tower Case  
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2021) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply 

Not all too sure on the case, though.  But is just a draft.

Thoughts:

- The cooler is vast overkill for a 65W 5600 when it's really more aimed at the high-end ~150W CPUs. I get the argument that you might want to get the best available, but at half the price of the CPU itself, spending may not represent the best spending at getting a quiet PC instead of improving other things.

- One of these things is the unnecessary chipset fan on most X570 boards like this one. I would get a good mid-range B550 board instead, as for your purposes it would actually have *more* functionality. X570 just offers more of what B550 already offers, most pertinently perhaps being multiple PCI-E 4.0 M.2 slots for storage freaks. But you're not even running a single PCI-E 4.0 SSD, let alone multiple. At the very least, I would grab a board with a USB-C header for the front panel, since your provisionally chosen case has it. Asus unfortunately have been just about the slowest vendor at introducing it to their mid-range products.

- You could probably get 3600C16 RAM for a very similar price these days, Kingston's Fury Renegade line has brought down the premium for these kits.

- This system will consume in the region of 200-250W of power. It's hard to get a quality PSU that small of course, but your choices at 550/650W should be just as good as they are at 750W, e.g. the RM550x. The RMx series is slightly better than the plain RM series and is generally worth reaching for.

• Thanks 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

For some reason I thought I had changed to a B550 board.   I may not be upgrading CPU but probably will be replacing drives - in this new machine I'll be bringing over the 2 SATA SSDs and 1 HDD from the current one, or just adding more as I hoard stuff. 

Fair point on the case, picked that as I like my current Corsair and that one got good reviews and the cooler as everyone I know keeps talking it up.   Roughly priced at 12400f build using everything the same that could be and it came up to $400 more, too.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

On 6/30/2022 at 3:00 AM, Malcador said:

Well, I don't know about Canadian prices, but a Samsung 980 PRO 1 TB PCIE 4.0 SSDs isn't much more expensive than a 970 EVO Plus. Might want to go with a 980 PRO and enjoy the extra speed, unless the 970 Evo Plus comes from your current setup, but you said you'd move the drives, not the SSD. :p 

Either was is a massive speed upgrade, but there really is a noticable difference between my 980 Pro and my father's 970 EVO.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

It's about a difference of $30 here in the U.S., but Malcador's in Canada, so I don't know.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Why not go for the regular 980. Over here it's cheaper than the 970 evo.

The 970 EVO is considered to be the superior drive, AFAIK. Has actual DRAM instead of using HMB. HMB is fine for budgety stuff, but pay the extra $10 for the DRAM if you can - it was the key distinguishing feature that I waited for so long when I finally got my 2 TB SSD like a year and a half ago.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you look outside of Samsung there are decent SSDs to be found too. An HP FX900 or an Adata Legend 840 for instance should be about the price of a 970 EVO Plus (well, your milage price may vary, given the current inflation by a good deal too) and offer great performance for the price, even if they don't reach full PCIE 4.0 throughput rates, they're still faster than their 3.0 counterparts. If money is no objection then there's also the Acer Predator GM7000 or the Patriot Viper VP4300, although, yeah, dunno, we're talking an 80% markup on the price for not much of a gain in any realistic (home) usage scenario, and if money was no objection there'd be no reason to stick with DDR4 memory I guess. :)

What makes Samsung attractive is their reliability. The price is fine and the performance is great and the difference to the Acer and Patriot SSDs is really just noticable in benchmarks, not in actual use.

Edited by majestic

38 minutes ago, majestic said:

If you look outside of Samsung there are decent SSDs to be found too. An HP FX900 or an Adata Legend 840 for instance should be about the price of a 970 EVO Plus (well, your milage price may vary, given the current inflation by a good deal too) and offer great performance for the price, even if they don't reach full PCIE 4.0 throughput rates, they're still faster than their 3.0 counterparts. If money is no objection then there's also the Acer Predator GM7000 or the Patriot Viper VP4300, although, yeah, dunno, we're talking an 80% markup on the price for not much of a gain in any realistic (home) usage scenario, and if money was no objection there'd be no reason to stick with DDR4 memory I guess. :)

What makes Samsung attractive is their reliability. The price is fine and the performance is great and the difference to the Acer and Patriot SSDs is really just noticable in benchmarks, not in actual use.

If you look at performance Samsung isn't even on the list anymore. There are so many brands with crazy numbers that I never even heard about before.

My primary concerns with SSDs are reliability/longevity and random reads/writes. The difference between 2000 MB/s and 3000 MB/s sustained reads/writes is pretty meaningless in the grand scheme of things when random reads and writes are much greater determiners of real world performance (unless you genuinely have some specialized use case). My personal experiences with SSDs thus far have been: three Samsung, four HP, one Hynix, two Sabrent, three PNY, and one Mushkin. So far, the only bad experiences were with the PNY drives, all of which had immediate problems right off the bat and of which two catastrophically failed within twelve months. Otherwise, everything else has been fine. All the others are still in use and work somewhere between well and superbly. Really, for most purposes, any SSD is more than adequate, so I don't usually stress out about the numbers as much as I do knowing that it's a decent brand (or a decent rebrand).

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

My OCZ Vertex 4 is still going strong with it's 128GB. Opposite it is a 6TB WD green. A m2 ssd is next on my list, unless...knock on wood...my graphics card goes.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sarex said:

My OCZ Vertex 4 is still going strong with it's 128GB. Opposite it is a 6TB WD green. A m2 ssd is next on my list, unless...knock on wood...my graphics card goes.

My current system is an M2 500 GB Hynix P31 Gold (system drive) and an M2 2 TB Mushkin Pilot-E...it's nice having them right on the motherboard instead of having to fiddle with SATA stuff. Plus, well, the case I have only allows for two HDDs anyways (which are occupied by two 14 TBs). Meanwhile, my GPU (a GTX 1060) is quite literally the cheapest component of my system because I don't play games... :p

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, majestic said:

Well, I don't know about Canadian prices, but a Samsung 980 PRO 1 TB PCIE 4.0 SSDs isn't much more expensive than a 970 EVO Plus. Might want to go with a 980 PRO and enjoy the extra speed, unless the 970 Evo Plus comes from your current setup, but you said you'd move the drives, not the SSD. :p 

Either was is a massive speed upgrade, but there really is a noticable difference between my 980 Pro and my father's 970 EVO.

$60-70 more, so about 3-days work for me.  😛

Guess I'll have to do this the right way, going component by component and being organized.  Sort of feel like getting something more than the 5600 just for e-peen purposes, but probably will end up broke that way

Edited by Malcador
  • Gasp! 1

1 hour ago, Sarex said:

If you look at performance Samsung isn't even on the list anymore. There are so many brands with crazy numbers that I never even heard about before.

The differences are really only noticable in benchmarks, at least when you're looking at most PCIE 4.0 SSDs. Chasing numbers is pretty pointless beyond specialized use cases. Particularily that sustained write over 5 minutes figure, who needs that in any home use scenario?

25 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

My primary concerns with SSDs are reliability/longevity and random reads/writes.

It is only anecdotal, but a friend of mine is a field technician for a large Japanese IT vendor and he's servicing mainframe and datacenter solutions, and in his experience Samsung SSDs are the most reliable SSDs out there under heavy loads. Although, of course, what works in data centers is an entirely different ballpark. There they also need decent sustained read and write performance, obviously, and you can always just have bad luck and find one that doesn't work well.

14 minutes ago, Malcador said:

$60-70 more. 

Well, okay, that's... not really worth it then. That's about four times the difference we have, and that is taking the conversion rate into account. That's either a really cheap 970 EVO Plus or a terribly expensive 980 PRO. :(

Edited by majestic
  • Like 3

Yeah, hardware prices suck here in Canada. Intel draft build is like $400 more, interesting

• Gasp! 1

1 hour ago, majestic said:

The differences are really only noticable in benchmarks, at least when you're looking at most PCIE 4.0 SSDs. Chasing numbers is pretty pointless beyond specialized use cases. Particularily that sustained write over 5 minutes figure, who needs that in any home use scenario?

I agree with you completely, was just saying that reviewer charts are not even showing the Samsung drives anymore.

• Like 1