Jump to content

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Owlcat Games' next isometric Pathfinder RPG


Infinitron

Recommended Posts

I haven't gone too much into most of them but

 

At the first mythic level you choose like a basic set of abilities based on the paths and then you pick a mythic ability from a generic list. Second level expands on your first choice and gives a mythic feat. Third level is when you actual pick the path you want and it seems like eighth level is where you can pick your expanded path because a selection screen pops up again but you can't actually choose anything else at the moment. I'm guessing it's just not implemented yet.

Anyway, a quick and dirty overview of what I've seen so far off the top of my head.

Angel - no pets but you get a halo that has some buffs and the summons are all heaven themed. The spellbook is prepared and divine and very heal heavy. You can turn all damage to holy via a toggle. You get the Herald of the Inheritor or something like it as a semi-advisor.

Azata - rift dragon pet that you can talk to and ride and a little spot near Drezen with a bunch of Azata/Desna weirdness. Spellbook is spontaneous and enchantment heavy but only goes to level 6 or something, I think. You get some special superpowers to pick from on a couple of level ups. There's also an Azata advisor.

Lich - I only played with this a very little bit but you get an undead mini companion that you can customize the class of as you get more mythic levels. Spellbook is unsurprisingly very necromancy heavy and I believe has the most spells of all the paths. Prepared casting. You also have the chance to get at least two (that I've seen anyways) undead companion's. Don't know much else because I really haven't put much time in it. Oh, summons are undead themed. I think you get a toggle to make all damage negative energy.

Trickster - I know this one least of all the ones I've played. No pets that I've seen so far but a very interesting spell list that has things like beer elementals and good mix of illusion and enchantment spells. Fish missile is probably my favorite so far. There's a portal to some kind of pocket plane in your closet. You get a demon semi-advisor and sneak attack.

There's a lot of summons. You get some when you select your pre-path and a bunch more with your actual path. Other than a few differences on a path specific list/page all paths pick from the exact same feat and ability list.

Edited by ShadySands
Let me know if there's anything you want more specific info on and I can get it tomorrow when I'm not supposed to be sleeping
  • Thanks 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/15/2021 at 1:00 AM, ArtistFormerlyKnownasKP said:

Honestly I'd love to see all party members be horny bisexuals but all of them are completely uninterested in the player. 

Thats a terrible suggestion KP, how would you initiate Romance arcs if that was how Romance was implemented ?

I dont think all the characters should be bisexual because that is unrealistic to how Romance works in RL 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

a lot of rpg really need some quest line about npc romancing each other

so many game are so long now

a lot of player will never start a new 50 hours playthrough for a different romance

maybe more game should allow player to choose genderless to maximize romance potential

Edited by uuuhhii
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, uuuhhii said:

a lot of rpg really need some quest line about npc romancing each other

so many game are so long now

a lot of player will never start a new 50 hours playthrough for a different romance

maybe more game should allow player to choose genderless to maximize romance potential

Thats another terrible idea, do you participate  in  Romance in your RPG journey?

Because Romance like most other RPG mechanics requires you to identify, and have reasonable degrees of realism,  with what you doing...hence the words " RP ". For example I wouldnt want to play an RPG  like BG 3 as an earthworm 

So as a heterosexuals, male I dont want to be genderless because of how unrealistic and meaningless that would make Romance arcs...so no, terrible idea :down:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Thats another terrible idea, do you participate  in  Romance in your RPG journey?

Because Romance like most other RPG mechanics requires you to identify, and have reasonable degrees of realism,  with what you doing...hence the words " RP ". For example I wouldnt want to play an RPG  like BG 3 as an earthworm 

So as a heterosexuals, male I dont want to be genderless because of how unrealistic and meaningless that would make Romance arcs...so no, terrible idea :down:

realism like create fireball by waving hands?

if many player have problem play a dwarf because they are tall then rpg will unlikely to be a thing to begin with

rpg would be better if character creation can include intelligent elemental golem undead robot fungus or plant

Edited by uuuhhii
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, uuuhhii said:

realism like create fireball by waving hands?

if many player have problem play a dwarf because they are tall then rpg will unlikely not be a thing to begin with

rpg would be better if character creation can include intelligent elemental golem undead robot fungus or plant

Thats a strawman argument, of course their will be lots of fantasy in the RPG. Thats to be expected but its not the same as saying " we should have genderless characters to improve Romance arcs " 

Ask anyone who enjoys Romance if they would be happy with that and I am sure the response will be a resounding " no "

Optional Romance can only improve a RPG and we should be expecting it in the interests of realism and immersion when it comes to how you interact with your party  members in any party based RPG 💖

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Thats a strawman argument, of course their will be lots of fantasy in the RPG. Thats to be expected but its not the same as saying " we should have genderless characters to improve Romance arcs " 

Ask anyone who enjoys Romance if they would be happy with that and I am sure the response will be a resounding " no "

Optional Romance can only improve a RPG and we should be expecting it in the interests of realism and immersion when it comes to how you interact with your party  members in any party based RPG 💖

how to improve romance would be a problem for writer

romance content available to most character would be a more efficient use of player and developer time and resource

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, uuuhhii said:

how to improve romance would be a problem for writer

romance content available to most character would be a more efficient use of player and developer time and resource

Well I think this something that we probably agree on if I understand you correctly,  I dont think Romance is as important as other mechanics like normal party interaction, quests, lore, combat and interesting towns and dungeons to explore

But if you are going to include Romance then it needs to be done normally without genderless characters or bisexual party members you cannot Romance

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@ShadySands

So the paths each have their own spellcasting in addition to what you'd get from a class? Do they have ability restrictions like regular casting? Cuz it would suck for like an Angel Paladin to not cast good because low wisdom.

What's the Legend like, or is that one just not Mythic?

  • Like 1

"To be fair, if I was married to Milla Jovovich, I would also be happy just making movies that show off her butt." - Hurlsnot

"I originally just wanted to ignore this, but I can't sleep, so why not." - majestic

"I murdered my entire family as well as the police and priests investigating me for murdering my entire family in the name of Satan. Good times." - Bartimaeus

"I will undoubtedly cave and buy this since Nintendo has me by the balls with Shin Megami Tensei V." - Keyrock

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, about that

 

Each path has it's own separate spellbook and they are tied to different stats.

Aeon - Charisma

Angel - Wisdom

Azata - Charisma

Demon - Charisma

Lich - Intelligence

Trickster - Charisma

There aren't many mods out for the game yet but one of them is to change the mythic casting stats. 

Legend, Swarm, Dragon, and Devil aren't in the game yet but since there is a prompt to reselect your path at mythic level 8 I'm assuming that might be where you can change it. Also, mythic levels are handed out at certain points in the game so story wise it will probably make more sense. I've been using a mod so that I can just mess around with stuff.

Edited by ShadySands
  • Gasp! 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hold on now

Devil is a mythic path?

Sounds very Charisma heavy, which will probably **** up a lot of characters who dumped it. I'll probably end up using that mod myself lmao.

Is Azata the only 6th level caster and do they (and any others) make up for it with more or better abilities?

"To be fair, if I was married to Milla Jovovich, I would also be happy just making movies that show off her butt." - Hurlsnot

"I originally just wanted to ignore this, but I can't sleep, so why not." - majestic

"I murdered my entire family as well as the police and priests investigating me for murdering my entire family in the name of Satan. Good times." - Bartimaeus

"I will undoubtedly cave and buy this since Nintendo has me by the balls with Shin Megami Tensei V." - Keyrock

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Devil wasn't announced but it was datamined. 

Give me a few minutes and I'll check how high all the spellbooks actually go because it seems like Azata goes to at least 7

Here is the complete beta mythic spell list.

https://forum.owlcatgames.com/t/complete-mythic-spell-lists-beta/36196

E: Okay dunno why I thought it capped at lower but I just tested and got the following results

Aeon - Level 7

Angel - Level 9

Azata - Level 7

Demon - Level 5

Lich - Level 9

Trickster - Level 7

 

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/13/2021 at 8:40 AM, ArtistFormerlyKnownasKP said:

Hold on now

 

  Hide contents

Devil is a mythic path?

Sounds very Charisma heavy, which will probably **** up a lot of characters who dumped it. I'll probably end up using that mod myself lmao.

Is Azata the only 6th level caster and do they (and any others) make up for it with more or better abilities?

 

Spoiler

is a whole lotta sparkly charisma based builds, so am doubtful there is gonna be too many people weeping. however, as is so often the case with pathfinder and d&d, in spite o' additional choices, the restrictions is gonna result in characters looking more similar rather than different. 

azata is kinda perplexing for us. as we noted, is a whole lotta charisma builds, but not many o' those is animal companion classes, and azata is kinda screaming for an animal companion build synergy. we kinda played around with crafting a charisma-heavy hunter to take advantage of the azata dragon companion and our efforts have produced dubious results at best. is just no way am able to get charisma up high enough to make the foe targeting azata mythic spells useful, particular at endgame levels.  converse, dump charisma and take oblate background and 3 levels o' zen archer makes for a rather impressive archer who doesn't sacrifice social skills. so, angel mythic path it is for the would be hunter. 'course there is no shortage o' archery focused companions already, so feels like a waste o' resources to add another to the list.

perhaps some kinda feyspeaker build? the charisma druids get some o' the best offensive spells in the game plus select illusion spells from the wizard spellbook. from a thematic/rp pov, the build works and should be effective. add three levels o' the hunter class which sooperbuffs the animal companions. muse-touched (azata) is the obvious race choice, but it kinda looks like every feat will be pure gold, so perhaps human is the "best" choice. dhampir is a quixotic option for any druid in our mind, but the dex and charisma boosts with perception and persuasion skill modifiers is worth considering particular for a main character. 'course while three level dips is nothing when looking back from level 20, three levels is kinda a big deal for a dedicated caster to bear early, and the animal companion buffs from the hunter or inquisitor classes don't make much sense unless you take 'em early.

dunno. am not having the mod shady references and haven't played too much. is a few drezen bugs which we keep getting.  we will likely test the feyspeaker eventual 'cause sometimes (often) stuff which looks good on paper or in Gromnir's head doesn't translate in owlcat's implementation. eventual...

HA! Good Fun!

 

 

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Gromnir said:
  Hide contents

is a whole lotta sparkly charisma based builds, so am doubtful there is gonna be too many people weeping. however, as is so often the case with pathfinder and d&d, in spite o' additional choices, the restrictions is gonna result in characters looking more similar rather than different. 

azata is kinda perplexing for us. as we noted, is a whole lotta charisma builds, but not many o' those is animal companion classes, and azata is kinda screaming for an animal companion build synergy. we kinda played around with crafting a charisma-heavy hunter to take advantage of the azata dragon companion and our efforts have produced dubious results at best. is just no way am able to get charisma up high enough to make the foe targeting azata mythic spells useful, particular at endgame levels.  converse, dump charisma and take oblate background and 3 levels o' zen archer makes for a rather impressive archer who doesn't sacrifice social skills. so, angel mythic path it is for the would be hunter. 'course there is no shortage o' archery focused companions already, so feels like a waste o' resources to add another to the list.

perhaps some kinda feyspeaker build? the charisma druids get some o' the best offensive spells in the game plus select illusion spells from the wizard spellbook. from a thematic/rp pov, the build works and should be effective. add three levels o' the hunter class which sooperbuffs the animal companions. muse-touched (azata) is the obvious race choice, but it kinda looks like every feat will be pure gold, so perhaps human is the "best" choice. dhampir is a quixotic option for any druid in our mind, but the dex and charisma boosts with perception and persuasion skill modifiers is worth considering particular for a main character. 'course while three level dips is nothing when looking back from level 20, three levels is kinda a big deal for a dedicated caster to bear early, and the animal companion buffs from the hunter or inquisitor classes don't make much sense unless you take 'em early.

dunno. am not having the mod shady references and haven't played too much. is a few drezen bugs which we keep getting.  we will likely test the feyspeaker eventual 'cause sometimes (often) stuff which looks good on paper or in Gromnir's head doesn't translate in owlcat's implementation. eventual...

HA! Good Fun!

 

 

there are really not fixing of the multiclass nonsense of pathfinder 1e

more material owlcat use the problem only getting worse

and the description of this bonus stack with that bonus or not keep getting longer

Link to comment
Share on other sites

am just gonna observe how trickster mythic path clear has the best spell list. 

Spoiler

glorious beard, fish missile and beer elementals? 

as silly as they sound, a few o' 'em are highly efficacious. 

HA! Good Fun!

 

  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have Owlcat explained how to prepare spells as an Arcanist?

"To be fair, if I was married to Milla Jovovich, I would also be happy just making movies that show off her butt." - Hurlsnot

"I originally just wanted to ignore this, but I can't sleep, so why not." - majestic

"I murdered my entire family as well as the police and priests investigating me for murdering my entire family in the name of Satan. Good times." - Bartimaeus

"I will undoubtedly cave and buy this since Nintendo has me by the balls with Shin Megami Tensei V." - Keyrock

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not sure what you mean. I just rolled an Arcanist and was able to prepare spells like a wizard except that you only need to slot a spell once and then can cast it how ever many times you have spontaneous casts available.

Free games updated 3/4/21

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Not sure what you mean. I just rolled an Arcanist and was able to prepare spells like a wizard except that you only need to slot a spell once and then can cast it how ever many times you have spontaneous casts available.

I couldn't figure out how prepare spells, whenever I would go to my spellbook it would show my spells known but not my prepared slots. Being stuck with magic missile and shield at level 1 and 2 sucks.

"To be fair, if I was married to Milla Jovovich, I would also be happy just making movies that show off her butt." - Hurlsnot

"I originally just wanted to ignore this, but I can't sleep, so why not." - majestic

"I murdered my entire family as well as the police and priests investigating me for murdering my entire family in the name of Satan. Good times." - Bartimaeus

"I will undoubtedly cave and buy this since Nintendo has me by the balls with Shin Megami Tensei V." - Keyrock

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@ShadySands

sorcs are better at just about everything in owlcat's games. on the downside, even at lower levels there is a handful o' critter specific spells such as natural rhythm and greater magic fang we wish were on the sorc spell list... but probable wouldn't take anyway 'cause o' the conservation o' spell slots necessary for sorcs. barkskin is also nice for the druid who wants to tank up their leopard or just better defend their dog. am also gonna admit that with a 10 int, a human druid has an abundance o' skill points. can even take pickpocket background and need never worry 'bout having to take camellia with you just 'cause she has trickery and stealth. 

even so, chances are sorcs is still gonna be better. having to take three levels o' hunter means any other multi options is nixed, but even so, am betting sorcs end up being the more potent choice once combats start.

am likely to go druid for our first serious test as posed to limited randomn world map encounters after hiring a merc. 

speaking of hiring mercs...

does anybody know where hilor is in drezen? he is the pathfinder society guy from whom you get your mercenary recruits. have never bothered playing past drezen, so has never been an issue, but we took a quick spin 'round the city and didn't see him.

HA! Good Fun!

 

Edited by Gromnir
  • Thanks 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
Spoiler

 

am finished with drezen and a bit beyond (again) and a human feymaster/colluding scoundrel and/or an oracle sacred/sacred huntsmaster who goes the azata route is doable and effective... so far. three levels o' colluding scoundrel is gonna get you potential two free teamwork feats, and as a focused caster you is unlikely gonna wanna take more than four or five teamworks with the remaining options being meh. seize the moment requires combat reflexes as a pre req, but am thinking it is worth the investment IF you are trying to maximize critter potential and especial if you hire a merc who has colluding scoundrel or sacred huntsmaster levels. based on a fair amount o' gameplay, am highly recommending hiring a merc with teamwork feats if you genuine wanna maximize pets and teamwork feats.

however... *sigh*

the dragon companion does not benefit from the free teamwork feats o' the colluding scoundrel/sacred hunstmaster, which is a big drawback in the investment o' teamwork feat focused builds which augment a charisma caster. 

also, am gonna only partial sarcastic suggest owlcat addressed the animal companion imbalance by making many maps unfriendly to megafauna. narrow hallways and impassible doorways will be your most frustrating foes if you have multiple animal companions in a party. 

the feymaster and oracle builds we deem most effective involve some serious degenerative gameplay bs and am not sure it is worth the effort. if you wanna get most benefit from charisma and feymaster features, then you are gonna make a charisma + strength build to maximize wildshape options when they become available. so one level o' scaled fist (lawful neutral so you may also add druid) and three levels o' colluding scoundrel along with fifteen or sixteen levels o' feymaster... which means you lose level 9 druid spells but such isn't a huge loss. 

can go oracle with nature mystery for an animal companion, but you lose numerous druid spells which buff critters and you only genuine become effective after considerable hours o' gameplay. am also gonna suggest oracle likely focuses on evocation as posed to conjuration and enchantment which looks like a nobrainer choice if you go the sorc or feymaster route.

haven't done sylvan sorc, but it should be effective with three levels o' colluding scoundrel.

tried some gish builds but those is actual more strength focused with charisma thrown in just to access necessary spells.

the azata superpowers make a caster with a pet extreme effective, but trying to make your protagonist good at everything is gonna be self defeating. not enough feats even with a human and mythic powers. can't even customize the dragon companion as it has immutable leveling choices. azata spells may not "merge" as does lich and angel, but there is highly potent spells available even so and with superpowers you should be able to overcome spell resistance and dc challenges o' end game foes.  

am actual starting to believe optimizing might actual be a bit self defeating for a charisma caster who wants an animal companion and the dragon from the azata mythic path. keep simple and straightforward with three o' colluding scoundrel or huntsmaster and the rest pure caster... unless you chose oracle. three levels o' ___________ is gonna prevent an oracle from acquiring level 9 spells, so might as well add scaled fist to achieve tank-level ac 'cause nature's whispers is current stacking with the scaled fist charisma boost to ac. 

trip for leopard, dog and wolf (if wolf weren't busted) is pure gold, but as much as am  in the not-smilodon group o' animal companion advocates, am admitting freebie precise strike makes smilodon arguable worth taking. 1d6  precision damage isn't much when you only have one or two attacks, but with a smilodon and the silly number o' attacks it possesses, the pain adds up fast. 

HA! Good Fun!

ps there is another downside to the str + charisma builds for animal companion classes wanting to use teamwork feats, 'cause you are gonna need some dex to get a couple decent teamwork feats. tandem trip is a fantastic option too, but is difficult to legitimize the intelligence or rogue level investment to acquire trip as a prerequisite.

 

 

  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Here's a question to all of you who have played P:K and are now playing WotR in beta: has the quality of writing improved at all?

P:K was cartoonish, cheap and cheesy in the writing department. Both PoE and Deadfire had plenty of narrative and even literary ambition, and while we may debate about whether they were wholesale successes, I certainly appreciated the ambition. P:K had none, it was just cheese. Is WotR any different?

 

Thanks in advance!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, xzar_monty said:

Here's a question to all of you who have played P:K and are now playing WotR in beta: has the quality of writing improved at all?

P:K was cartoonish, cheap and cheesy in the writing department. Both PoE and Deadfire had plenty of narrative and even literary ambition, and while we may debate about whether they were wholesale successes, I certainly appreciated the ambition. P:K had none, it was just cheese. Is WotR any different?

 

Thanks in advance!

wotr have the same blend of wacky character cartoonish advanture and sudden tone shift into occasionally messy tragedy

some joke in beta are very good

the style didn't change compare to kingmaker

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...