Preloads are available on the Microsoft Store

Europe only? Doesn't seem to be an option to pre-load for me

Edited by Achilles

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

2 hours ago, Dread Pirate Nat said:

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, but question about Microsoft store purchase.

If someone buys tOW through microsoft store, will they require the Epic store launcher? 

They will not.

• Thanks 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I think the real question is why MS store is the only one that has pre-load?  Also do we know if this is because of the gaming pass or for anyone purchasing from MS store? If so I'll cancel my Epic order and get it from Microsoft.

Re: Epic Games launcher. I pre-ordered through Private Division but had a Microsoft conflict with the launcher download on Windows 10. They could not resolve the problem so I believe there is a possible problem for players new to the Epic Games launch platform. So, I immediately requested a refund from PD, which they just confirmed. Anyone out there that believes MS store is the best way to go at this point or is waiting a month or two a better option to wait and see how the game works out?

Pre-loads are also available on console. I have TOW on my HDD right now.

It's mocking me in My Games and Apps. Its tile is staring at me, with all the malevolence of a demon cackling with maniacal amusement.

"Too much of the animal disfigures the civilized human being, too much culture makes a sick animal."

On 10/21/2019 at 4:26 AM, Clawdius_Talonious said:

Ugh, I get a 10mb download, I saw the preload option earlier than this post and snagged some kind of placeholder I guess? Hopefully it will preload before the 24th

I also got a small download from Microsoft store.  So don't know why it's doing full downloads for some and these small ones for others.

Edit: So I went back to the Microsoft store and clicked on the ...  choose update and it started downloading the full game then. Don't know what that small download the first time was about but maybe you should try this Clawdius.

Edited by Anhur
Adding information
  • Thanks 2

Appreciated Anhur, but I'm actually using the gamepass and Xbox app beta. I'm just gonna keep my fingers crossed, although going back to the Microsoft store did let me run in a newer version of the Xbox app, it doesn't seem to have picked up and run with any 30+gb download. It's been running pretty regularly for days now so it could have done it all sneaky like, and they actually steal ownership of the folder from you to make sure you don't go poking at any files so I can't check the size of the install directory.

Still, thanks for passing along that info, it very well could help someone else (and that update might have set me up, it got my hopes up for a minute there.)

I'm just glad I'm not stuck on 1.2mbps down DSL anymore, if I do have to download the game tommorow I'll at least be able to get it within an hour or so I think.

Edit: Ehhhh, interesting, I was able to go through the Microsoft store to try to install it and it seems to have concluded that the game is already installed... I guess I can rip it out through the app and try to run it in through the store if I get antsy but I have "confirmation" that it's installed, of a sort.

Edited by Clawdius_Talonious

I also only got a small download but that was a couple of days ago. I'll check if there is more available when I get home. 

Edit: I managed to preload by selecting "update" like someone above said but I had to go onto the main page for the game on the store to get that option. 

Edited by Mikeymoonshine

Seems to be one of those "you get it when you get it" things. Pre-load just sorta happened for me yesterday.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

11 hours ago, Clawdius_Talonious said:

Appreciated Anhur, but I'm actually using the gamepass and Xbox app beta. I'm just gonna keep my fingers crossed, although going back to the Microsoft store did let me run in a newer version of the Xbox app, it doesn't seem to have picked up and run with any 30+gb download. It's been running pretty regularly for days now so it could have done it all sneaky like, and they actually steal ownership of the folder from you to make sure you don't go poking at any files so I can't check the size of the install directory.

Still, thanks for passing along that info, it very well could help someone else (and that update might have set me up, it got my hopes up for a minute there.)

I'm just glad I'm not stuck on 1.2mbps down DSL anymore, if I do have to download the game tommorow I'll at least be able to get it within an hour or so I think.

Edit: Ehhhh, interesting, I was able to go through the Microsoft store to try to install it and it seems to have concluded that the game is already installed... I guess I can rip it out through the app and try to run it in through the store if I get antsy but I have "confirmation" that it's installed, of a sort.

I'm using the gamepass and Xbox app beta as well. Beside where it says "play" or under don't remember theres a " . . ." check it for a update option.

Well I combed through the store page and the xbox app again, the store page has a ... right next to play but only shows the options to pin a shortcut or install to devices. Checking through the updates section showed me that the Outer Worlds is version 1.0.369.0 but no other information available on the install through those apps.

However, looking the program up through add/remove programs shows me a 37.3gb footprint and that's more than I had before. I just mistrust software not letting me look at folders and files, but now I have more of a reason to believe it's not just some old guy behind the curtain waving a flag that says "We know you really want to get started, but you’ll have to wait a bit longer. Check the store for the launch date." at me every time I click play.

Thanks for helping me be as sure as I'm likely to be prior to launch that I'll be able to play ASAP.