10 hours ago, Raven Darkholme said:

Ascendant is not that great for solo fighter/cipher, you're much better off going Soulblade.

(Ascendant is great in a party with SoT)

I agree completely. Soul Blade is by far my favorite cipher subclass. It's just amazing once you get Seeker's Fang.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 6/8/2021 at 3:53 PM, Kaylon said:

The missing part of the puzzle was the unique arbalest Mechanical Marvel which attacks in a line (max 3 targets) and can be enchanted with 25% recovery reduction.

@Kaylon I was redoing the fight yesterday which drops the Mechanical Marvel (with a totally different build than the Glimmer Man) and it got me thinking about this thread and ask out of curiosity: what strategy did you adopt in this SSS fight - In Defense of The Written Word - to be victorious with the Glimmer Man? I'm asking because I've found that this encounter tests the abilities of a solo stealthy archetype build to its limits:

• Be stealthy and temporize, the enemy will destroy the alchemist's tables and the alchemist's curse can punch even through untargetability (!!!) for 60 DMG per tick.
  • Go very aggressive without much stealth, and you might run into serious trouble when the Nagas show up.

Did you use a lot of Arcana, with the right scrolls and a bit of practice on when enemies spawn at each phase?

EDIT: maybe you can Withdraw the Alchemist's tables..?

Edited by Not So Clever Hound

Yes, you can withdraw them - with maxed arcana and enough scrolls it shouldn't be too difficult.

PS. There's a second method to kill Hauani (without the arbalest) - using the withdraw trick. The tactician can become confused easily from Powder Burns and then withdraw one of the oozes to prevent the merge, while killing the other. 

Edited by Kaylon
  • Like 1

On 12/21/2021 at 8:41 PM, Not So Clever Hound said:

• Be stealthy and temporize, the enemy will destroy the alchemist's tables and the alchemist's curse can punch even through untargetability (!!!) for 60 DMG per tick.

I did a few more tests and you can avoid the curse if you're invisible or withdrawn when the table is destroyed. So the easiest way to beat the encounter is to let the enemies destroy the tables and then proceed as usual.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kaylon said:

I did a few more tests and you can avoid the curse if you're invisible or withdrawn when the table is destroyed

Thanks, that’s interesting: I did it with a Bloodmage under the permanent Cocoon untargetability trick, and I did get the curse when the tables got destroyed. So for that purpose untargetable is not the same as invisible. 

On 12/21/2021 at 11:05 PM, Kaylon said:

PS. There's a second method to kill Hauani (without the arbalest) - using the withdraw trick. The tactician can become confused easily from Powder Burns and then withdraw one of the oozes to prevent the merge, while killing the other.

For sure! Tactician has access to the 2 strongest buffs in the game: Brilliant and… Confused :).

Edited by Not So Clever Hound
  • Haha 1