Can you give an example of such a game? I don't remember any, but it has to be said that I have not played most games, even of this genre.

I would prefer a more realistic economy, at least in theory. But it would have to be implemented well. I understand it's a bit of a given that the game world only exists for the player (nobody else ever buys anything, nothing happens anywhere unless the player does something, and as soon as the player has done something, the whole game world knows it, etc.), but I'd love to see a game that at least tries to change this somehow.

Iirc in most Elder Scrolls games the shopkeepers have fixed amounts of money. At some point that can mean that you have to travel from shopkeeper to shopkeeper just to sell your stuff. Or buying some stuff that you might need in order to give him back money.

This can be supertedious. In the "real" world there would be stuff like exchanging/barter stuff or financing it or pay later (once the shop sold your stuff - commission) and so on.

So even if limited amount of gold is somewhat more realistic... it's just the amount of realism that doesn't add as much as it takes away. In my opinion. 

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

1 hour ago, xzar_monty said:

I would prefer a more realistic economy, at least in theory. But it would have to be implemented well. 

I am into that stuff. I would love Deadfire to have a more indepth and reactive world map in general. However, I don't think the game would benefit much of it. I don't even thing the exploit OP found to be a big deal. Money just isn't an important enough part of the game. So you have infinite money. Does it break the game? Not really, more items, just mean more of choice, and most of them are achieved via progresing the quests. Upgrades might be the biggest offender, as theoretically a player might jump from fine - to legendary... if one knows were to buy necessary crafting components. As someone who is on my 3rd playthrough.... I have no idea. 

Money in Deadfire is fairly irrelevant because it is not a game about making money. Intimidation exploit is an unfortunate oversight but it is not something that makes or breaks the game. I did try it out of curiosity and I just don't see why I would do it. Money gain isn't good enough to compete with selling bunch of Superb items. Infinite stash already breaks any chances of having a balanced economy. One might farm some gold, but for what purpose? 

I would argue that money in Deadfire is fairly irrelevant because there is nothing to buy. You don't need to upgrade your ship or buy a new one. You don't need any of the slightly better items that can be bought at the shops. There is nothing to look forward to in terms of earning money and making purchases. I see that as a direct result of the somewhat overly balanced system and mechanics of the game. I.e. everything is as valuable as everything else. It is not quite as drastic as that, because a legendary item is undoubtedly better than a fine one, but you get everything you need and plenty more for free, without much difficulty(*).

(*) Again, with PotD and all challenges on, I'm prepared to accept that there's plenty of difficulty, but only in terms of numbers, not strategically or conceptually.