https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/pc/227477-pillars-of-eternity-ii-deadfire/faqs/76599

It seems accurate on so many topics that weren't fully clear for me, such as the Unbending scaling formula or how Interrupts actually worked. 

I wouldn't be suprised if one of you was involved in it, since there aren't so many place on the web where one can find accurate information about the game mechanics. EDIT : It indeed seems to be Thelee work.

In my opinion, this should be pinned.

Edited by Elric Galad
  • Thanks 2

Holy crap, I wish I had this when I was starting the game. It's thelee's work (according to the power-level page) and a pinned link should replace his pinned thread on Power Level on this board. New players are badly missing a resource like this.

aw shucks, yeah that's mine.

i don't pretend to be 100% accurate or claim that it's 100% my work - I hope I credited everyone who helped contribute it to it (there's some more updateds pending phenomenum's contributions, but i'm waiting on 4.2). but if people get good mileage out of it, that's all I can hope for :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

a most useful faq indeed.  good work.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

7 hours ago, Wormerine said:

I like it, Really well written.

But I still don't understand how debuffs are calculated 😂

What do you mean specifically?

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

9 hours ago, thelee said:

I credited everyone who helped contribute it to it (there's some more updateds pending phenomenum's contributions, but i'm waiting on 4.2). but if people get good mileage out of it, that's all I can hope for :)

Then, you should wait for 4.2 for the latest updates, create your own thread to introduce it yourself and ask it to be pinned.

I'm sure a lot of people would support it.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Boeroer said:

What do you mean specifically?

Specifically? Formula itself.

Basically, in Deadfire's system, when it comes to negative modifiers, you "invert" them by doing: 1-1/(1+x), where x is your negative modifier. You end up with a negative number which you then additively combine with any other modifiers. Importantly, you do not pre-combine negative modifiers; you have to individually invert each of them before combining them.

After you combine all your modifiers, if the number you have remaining is positive, you add 1. If the number you have is negative, you "reinvert" it by doing: 1/(1-x) where x is the negative subtotal. The resulting number is a number less than 1. In both cases, the final number is a multiplier.

1-1/(1+x) 

So lets say the modifier is -25%. How would I calculate it? I try to apply what I remember of my high school math and I feel like I am missing something basic. 

Ok. The explanation of double inversion can be looked up in the pinned attack speed thread by MaxQuest for example. The math itself is not difficult once you know what to do.

But you mentioned debuffs - and I thought you mean afflictions. Double inversion isn't about afflictions (just saying that to not confuse other readers who might think every maluses/debuffs goes through inversion).

Inversion is about percentage based maluses (grazes, underpenetration, recovery/action speed/action time malus and so on). Those that get thrown into one pot with the positive (additive) percentage based ones that affect the same "stat". Most of those don't come with afflictions or debuffs but from grazing, wearing armor, using a modal etc. 

Afflictions and most debuffs in general apply a flat malus which doesn't go through inversion. Like -10 to deflection or -5 to CON and such. If they apply a percentage based maluses though (like anything that slows down your attack speed) they do indeed.

That's why I was wondering what you mean.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Think I can actually add something @thelee : in the Ranger section you mention that you don't think there are other "marked" accuracy buffs similar to Marked Prey, but Magistrate's Cudgel's "Judged' effect is similar and I can confirm that they stack (playing a Wanderer right now).

• Like 1

On 5/8/2019 at 12:01 AM, Wormerine said:

Specifically? Formula itself.

Yeah, I was struggling to get my head round it myself until I realised.

I could NOT get the maths to work, until I realised that @thelee had put 1-1(1+x), which is right; but the maths only works if it is explained that x is the modifier expressed as a probability* NOT as a percentage E.g. for a graze, the formula should be 1-1(1+(-0.5))  i.e. x is -0.5.

I, and I suspect Wormerine, was reading "where x is your negative modifier" as x = -50 (percent). (So 1-1(1+-50), which is why I could not work out why the maths was coming out so wrong.)

I suspect that what you need here, thelee, is just to tweak that wording and add an example (see aforementioned graze). Just, as they say, a bit of idiot proofing! I imagine to you it was bleedin' obvious, but this sort of thing is quite easily done if you don't have a feesh set of eyes that goes "'ere, that ain't right, are it...?"

*I.e. for the less maths adept, as a fraction of 1, so -50% => -0.5

• Like 1

@Rafeil: My words. For BG.EE we had Haeravon's great gamefaqs (and a lot of other insightful guides). For PoE there are Boeroer, Kaylon, MaxQuest, Thelee (to bring up just a handful of picked men)  who are able to reply -- at least together:thumbsup: -- nearly every single question regarding the games.

• Thanks 1