[BUG 4.1] Damage roll bugged?

Archaven

Question

I'm not sure but it seems like my main is dealing very little damage. Look at the screenshot:

Dmg roll: 19.8

-50% graze

+42% MIG

+45% Sneak Attack

+10% Sharp

+45% Superb

-35% Dual-Wield

= 17.7 basic roll.

My math isn't the best but, total stacked % damage should be +57%. How did it end up as 17.7? Is the game bugged or i'm not understanding the calculation correctly?

Thanks

post-15550-0-81535200-1548525542_thumb.jpg

post-15550-0-38680700-1548528999_thumb.jpg

Edited by Archaven

13 answers to this question

my calculation ends up being slightly higher, but they might simply round up numbers a bit differently. I think here it is how it works:

19.8 - 9.9 (50%) = 9.9

9.9 + 4.5 (45%) + 4.2 (42%) + 1 (10%) + 4.5 (45%) = 24.1

35% of original roll 19.8 = 6.9

24.1 - 6.9 = 18

Essencially all negative multiplayers come from the base roll, while all positive multiplayer come from roll reduced by graze.

Edited by Wormerine
  • Like 1

i added another screen without graze. seriously i can't recall the damage being so low for many playthrough. are you sure the calculation is correct? if this damage is legit, how are you going to kill bosses with few thousand HP? also, my main character MIG is 20 by the way.

Edited by Archaven

Double inversion dudes!

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/107658-how-do-damage-penaltiesbonuses-work/

Works the same as with attack speed. Maluses will have a very high impact on your damage if you already have some bonuses.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Also here: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/105672-damage-modifiers-and-the-might-attribute/

-50% graze (-0.5/(1-0.5)) = -1
+42% MIG (+0.42)
+45% Sneak Attack (+0.45)
+10% Sharp (+0.1)
+45% Superb (+0.45)
-35% Dual-Wield (-0.35/(1-0.35)) = -0.54

--> -1 + 0.42 + 0.45 + 0.1 + 0.45 + -0.54 = -0.12 coefficient.

-0.12 < 0:

19.8 / 1.12 = 17.68
Your overall dmg coefficient was lower than zero due to the inversions. A graze will not actually mean -50% base damage as you can see above.

That's the reason why underpenetration (especially -2 or even -3) is so severe!

No bug here. It has always been like this since release.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 3

The math is alright. It's math. It's neutral. ;)

Maybe the decision to use this procedure in an RPG and obscuring it with weird tooltips and incorrect displays of calculation was ugly though.

As if the above listing of dmg modifiers and the outcome would make any sense without explaining how you end up there...

I mean when even the designers struggled grasping it in the beginning... ;)

Thanks Boeroer!. This is really complicated. Mind blowing...  By the way.. i wanted to ask regarding damage roll. Where and how do we see the range damage?

Base on my 2nd screenshot, i rolled 12.2. I attached a new screenshot. Damage of Kapana Taga should be around 18 - 25? How do we end up rolling 12.2? Is there another formula for this?

I also check the stats of Kapana the base is 10 damage. So was wondering how this 12.2 roll gets from. Thanks and sorry for the false report.

post-15550-0-20147100-1548588865_thumb.jpg

Club's base damage is 10 to 14.

So your dmg rolls should be between 10 and 14 with auto-attacks.

BUT: 1 additional Power Level adds +5% base damage once you use any ability with the weapon. Let's say you use a Crippling Strike (PL 1 ability) and you have 10 Power Levels: 10-1 = 9 PLs above Crippling Strike which means 9*5 = 45% increased base damage.

10 to 14 times 1.45 means the base damage with Kapana Taga is 14.5 to 20.3.

That bonus is obscured. It's included in the dmg "roll" you see in the tooltip right at the top. The rest (the list) are the additive dmg modifiers and the wicked maluses.

Your damage rolls with Kapana Taga for base damage should be between 14.5 to 20.3 when using Crippling Strike.

If you use higher level abilities you'll have lower PL bonus. But often those abilities have additive dmg bonuses instead.

But that explains how a Crippling Strike can sometimes do more damage than a Finishing Blow: higher PL bonus.

Base damage is multiplicative with all dmg mods. If you also have Sneak Attack and so on this really pays off.

That's why low level abilities keep being useful even in the late game.

And the more PL you can get the better. Fists scale with Power Level twice (sort of): first they scale with PL (and get +ACC and additive dmg mods like if they got enchanted with Fine, Exceptional etc.) and then the abilities you use with them also scale with power level. So as a Monk it's esp. beneficial to gain a lot of Power Levels.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1