I was interested in making a berserker/devoted and was looking into possible weapons that take advantage of a high hit-crit conversion.  I'm not particuarly set on a weapon style, though I would grudgingly admit that 1-handed style would make most sense.

Top contenders would appear to be:

Last Word - Amazing defensive weapon, 2 damage types, and more engagement targets.

Rust's Poignard -  Interesting weapon.  Is anything available for reliably setting up Flanking w/ a Brute?  Only one damage type :(

Sungrazer - On-Crit Extinction Event; how much damage is this?

Honorable Mention: The Willbreaker - Hit-to-Crit and Miss-to-Graze conversions on top of being able to run  its Fortitude penalty modal to benefit Brute Force.

Have I missed any notable weapons that better utilize and/or enhance critting?

On a side note, has anyone ever run the numbers comparing overall crit frequency for dual-wielding(and additional chances for a critical) against the fewer attacks of 1-handed style (but with higher individial weapon crit rate)?  I would assume it'd vary quite a bit from class to class, depending on accuracy values.

ctrl-F "crit" here:  https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/List_of_unique_weapons_(Deadfire)

If Last Word has you considering War Hammers, consider also Glacierbane's "Shattering" upgrade. 

The weapons that most enhances critical hits is probably the Essence Interrupter, but I doubt that's what you're looking for. 

Edited by Enoch

Yeah, I had already looked at that page but the upgrades available aren't listed without having to go to each individual weapon's page.  Both the Karabörü  and Glacierbane both look pretty powerful at what they're aiming for (damage & buff-stripping). 

On a sidenote, it's disheartening to see just how many unique swords & great swords there are in comparison to, seemingly, any other weapon types.  

edit: oh, and sabres!   Some weapon categories definitely got a whole lot more love.

Edited by drithius

Stalker's patience has an upgrade that grants 0 recovery on crit 20% of the time, which procs fairly often on its own and even moreso if you build around multiple/bonus primary attacks (clear out, mob stance). It also does bonus damage that scales with stealth and has a nice DoT feature. One handed is still underpowered and needs a buff imo, but that weapon does a pretty good job of making up for the speed drawback.

I was interested in making a berserker/devoted and was looking into possible weapons that take advantage of a high hit-crit conversion.  I'm not particuarly set on a weapon style, though I would grudgingly admit that 1-handed style would make most sense.

Top contenders would appear to be:

Last Word - Amazing defensive weapon, 2 damage types, and more engagement targets.

Rust's Poignard -  Interesting weapon.  Is anything available for reliably setting up Flanking w/ a Brute?  Only one damage type :(

Sungrazer - On-Crit Extinction Event; how much damage is this?

Honorable Mention: The Willbreaker - Hit-to-Crit and Miss-to-Graze conversions on top of being able to run  its Fortitude penalty modal to benefit Brute Force.

Have I missed any notable weapons that better utilize and/or enhance critting?

Good suggestions were already provided. I'd only add that, other the Willbreaker, you're mostly listing low base damage weapons. I would probably not use them on a primary melee damage dealing character. As offhand, sure, but not as single arms.

Yeah, I had already looked at that page but the upgrades available aren't listed without having to go to each individual weapon's page.  Both the Karabörü  and Glacierbane both look pretty powerful at what they're aiming for (damage & buff-stripping). 

On a sidenote, it's disheartening to see just how many unique swords & great swords there are in comparison to, seemingly, any other weapon types.  

edit: oh, and sabres!   Some weapon categories definitely got a whole lot more love.

design-a-weapon were a fig tier during deadfire development.  reason we got so many sabres and swords is 'cause o' a double-handful o' fans who paid real money to get a personalized weapon added to the game.  developers made a point to fill out a few o' the more anemic weapon categories with the dlc, but is no way to complete balance out weapon types w/o utter saturating the game with magical arsenal. 

one o' those live and learn situations for developers. they genuine did not anticipate fan investors gravitating almost exclusive to a couple weapon types.  if there is a next time, am suspecting the developers will plan a bit better.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

If I recall, Josh Sawyer said on somethingawful that they asked backers to not only submit swords, but they did anyway, and that designers also ended up designing more swords than other weapons. It wasn’t just because of the backer gear.

If I had to hazard an uneducated guess, I would say that production of the game was rushed and plans for equipment design changed during production, so things ended up unbalanced without time to adjust the distribution of weapons across categories.

Personally, I think there are just too many weapon types to begin with. Swords, sabers and rapiers could all be merged to little loss. So could clubs, maces and flails, daggers and stilettos or even spears and pikes. I’d rather have more meaningful weapon categories with uniques distinguishing flavor and some specific properties.

Stalker's patience has an upgrade that grants 0 recovery on crit 20% of the time, which procs fairly often on its own and even moreso if you build around multiple/bonus primary attacks (clear out, mob stance). It also does bonus damage that scales with stealth and has a nice DoT feature. One handed is still underpowered and needs a buff imo, but that weapon does a pretty good job of making up for the speed drawback.

There was a video a while back of a guy using Stalker's Patience who got 5 no-recovery hits in a row, due to crits.  Bam bam bam bam bam.   Was awesome!

I've used stalker's patience on Swashbucklers and reliably / regularly see at least 1 no-recovery crit in a combat.  It's great. 

I still love my two-spear dual wield idea modified from Iron Hammer build.