Hello! Long time lurker first time poster.

I just made this as my first post on reddit too, but I was interested to see if any creative thinkers on this forum had any input!

TLDR: I mostly want to know what classes you'd change the companions to!!! Does Eder get a pet? Is Serefen more a rogue??

So, I have completed the game once or twice before, pre all the DLCs. And now I want to dive in again. I like characters with some banter, and I like geeking out for a POTD run (but prefer making ideas work, rather than merely picking whats best) ... So I am going to cheat and change the classes and sub classes of each of the companions for funsies/custom mercs with souls/getting the most out of one playthrough. I wont give them more attributes than would be possible for a custom merc, or change any racial skills etc.

So my question to you, dear community, is what classes do you think would best suit the personalities of our beloved companions / what do you think will be fun for them to try?

I am not a heavy min maxer but I do like to be as optimal as possible within a thematic idea. I am lazy, and rarely like to rely on one-time consumables (cos I might have used them the fight before, right??) . I am happy to micro manage at least half of my party. (Edit: not a lazy strategist, just a lazy scroll/potion user)

I am playing a Dwarf. Ideally he is going to use axes. Probably one of the 2handed ones as Ive never seen them before. Call me a stickler for classics. I'll wash my beard in yer blood. I am thinking a Brute Devoted/Berserker just as I've not tried one. But its been pointed out devoted with a slashing weapon might struggle a bit. I'm open to other suggestions. Basically running:

18 Might 10 dex 8 Con 18 Per 18 Int 8 Res

(no blessings... Also, I cant quite recall exact stats, but think it was pretty much that)

Going in swinging, but will obviously need a tank. I am open to build advice here!

I have chosen what companions I'll use, but I'd still like to hear your thoughts on classes for the others.

I'm using:

Eder (I just like him) Pallegina (never used) Serefen (I just like him) Tekhatu (never used) Plus me, a ginger bearded angry axe wielding fur ball. Both Rational and Aggressive in equal measure. Go figure.

So! Ignoring that the game tells you things like, "btw Serfen is a Cipher..." what classes/sub classes/multiclasses do you think would be most fun / most suited to the companions??

Would love to hear stat distribution / weapon choice too. But only if you can be bothered. :0)

Edit: posts awaiting mod approval, as I am new. So sorry for late replies!

Edited by Skattotter

Xoti is fine as single class monk.

Tekehu is fine as druid.

Pallegina is fine as herald.

Eder as... another herald? 

Serefen as... a third herald?

Maia as.... a fourth herald?

RP-wise this doesn't entirely fit, but it's an effective party.  The thematic idea is... lots of chanting.  

BTW what do you use to change the classes? 

Point is, if you're lazy, and you said you are, I recommend heralds.  Stat distribution can be anything on heralds as long as int is high for longer duration summons.

Edited by Marigoldran

Heyup, thanks for the reply!

When I said lazy, I was referring to optimal play with one time consumables. A whole team of Heralds sounds a tad too boring to me, but I understand why you have suggested it.

I am more interested in what might suit the companions. I dont think many make good heralds, as far as their character goes.

I was thinking Unbroken/Streetfighter on Eder, as swashbuckler does seem to suit him. Was also struggling to see Tek as anything other than a Druid...

I have tried the mod before, but I am just using the console (iroll20s) to change their classes and subclasses, and removing abilities that shouldnt be there.

Xoti is fine as single class monk.

Tekehu is fine as druid.

Pallegina is fine as herald.

Eder as... another herald?

Serefen as... a third herald?

Maia as.... a fourth herald?

RP-wise this doesn't entirely fit, but it's an effective party. The thematic idea is... lots of chanting.

BTW what do you use to change the classes?

Point is, if you're lazy, and you said you are, I recommend heralds. Stat distribution can be anything on heralds as long as int is high for longer duration summons.

Don’t feed the trolls

Yep, I know Eder gets a inventory Pet as a BB... i just meant, perhaps ranger could suit him.

I was curious to see if anyone might think outside the box a little... Just for the sake of being inventive. I am not saying any of the companions have the "wrong" classes by default, I just wondered what else might suit them if they were to be changed... As I have seen most of them in action already. And there are several subclasses or builds that could suit them as characters.

I will keep Teks Druid subclass, as Ive not seen it before and it looks fun and integral to who he is. I wonder if it'd multiclass well into something other than default chanter. I was thinking Serafen suits rogue far more than either barbarian or cipher.

Maybe this is only something that captures my own curiosity. Which is fair enough!

Pallegina Troubadour is an easy obvious upgrade to Chanter. I don't like her Paladin subclass but I wouldn't want to swap it for thematic reasons.

I would switch Serafen's Wild Mind to...any other Cipher subclass. Even base Cipher or Beguiler (barf). Wild Mind is just a straight downgrade to base Cipher and infuriating whenever it forces a reload.

Xoti from Priest of Gaun to anything else. Real bad skill selection, locked out of PL9 skills, and zero synergy with Monk. But really run her as a single class Monk.

Eder is fine without subclasses, I like all the versions of Aloth (though dirty Trickster would be fitting and strong) and I wouldn't touch Maia or Tekehu.

Xoti's Monk Subclass is quite bad compared to the other monk options. I would change it to vanilla. Or simply remove the passives with the console but keep the name. Because that's kind of cool.

Took Xoti along several times now and always had the impression that she's far more useful as a single class Priest than as Monk or Monk/Priest (for the biggest part of the game). Her increased wound costs are so annoying at the lower levels - even though it's not half as bad as with the Corpse Eater.

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Cheers for all the input.

Yeah I felt the same with Xoti, always kept her a singleclass priest. Didnt really feel like monk worked well on her, and extra priest buffs just felt mire useful.

How is a barbarian/cipher suppose to play? I was thinking of changing Serafen to a Mindstalker, but only as I found his multiclass a bit odd. I know he makes a bad witch himself, but what would a good witch be? I dont get how barb compliments cipher..

Eder seems like a streetfighter to me, getting in scraps on the streets as a farm boy. Also tempted by Unbroken on him, as he seems protective of the common folk.

Currently thinking

Eder, swashbuckler, streetfighter/unbroken

MC, fanatic, berserker/goldpact

Pallegina, have her as herald at the mo

Serafen, Mindstalker, though not sure on subclasses

Tek, will leave him unchanged, just a toss up between pure druid or taking the chanter multiclass to help with guns

Priest Xoti is probably best as a single class priest for her main purpose - getting you through Maje island. Blessed Harvest is pretty great and Holy Radiance + 2 Restores does work.

After that though I prefer Monk Xoti. I also consider her unique subclass to be a pretty obvious downgrade to vanilla Monk (especially painful trying to maintain Thunderous Blows) but it still functions reasonably as a single class Monk, and recent nincompoopery aside single class Monk is quite strong.

In fairness, I like playing with Eder as a striker in games using story companions, and Priest / Fighter synergy is...poor, to be generous.

The game really needs a balance pass on the companions and their unique subclasses. It's pretty painful that several of them (Xoti, Serafen, Pallegina) are such obvious downgrades to even their vanilla classes.

Serafen -barbarian + streetfighter or debonaire

Xoti -monk + lifegiver

Pellagina perfect

Eder  fine

tekehu soso, but can't think of an upgrade Edit: As long as he never ever transforms into a shark that is...

Maia - rogue + trickster, - wiz + transmuter, or - either +devoted

Sidekicks the only thing I'd change is that they're sidekicks. They're better overall than companions, but they don't have a quest line.

Edited by djinnxy

In fairness, I like playing with Eder as a striker in games using story companions, and Priest / Fighter synergy is...poor, to be generous.

Yeah I prefer him whacking a punch and usually make him an off tank... I feel like his default multiclass (fighter/rogue) is pretty great for that. Interested to see if he can still play that way on POTD... Probably will as Unbroken/streetfighter.

(Xoti, Serafen, Pallegina) are such obvious downgrades to even their vanilla classes.

Agree re serefen, and I like bringing him along. I'm trying Beguiler / Rogue on him, as I think mindstalker could suit him... And I used him as a Witch pre the DLC.

Is Palleginas Paladin class bad? I cant really gage what it does yet, and it seemed similar enough to the others. And also felt somewhat integral to her character.

Serafen -barbarian + streetfighter or debonaire

Xoti -monk + lifegiver

Pellagina perfect

Eder fine

tekehu soso, but can't think of an upgrade Edit: As long as he never ever transforms into a shark that is...

Maia - rogue + trickster, - wiz + transmuter, or - either +devoted

Sidekicks the only thing I'd change is that they're sidekicks. They're better overall than companions, but they don't have a quest line.

Thanks for your suggestions! Yeah I couldnt think of an alternative to Tekehu, but also hadnt used him before so kept him as is... I need to mess with his AI to turn of that darn shark though!! Haha.

Maia I didnt quite get as a wizard, I suppose Geomancer is meant to represent terrain tactics. Gun Hawk suits her, but Devoted is a good shout if I were to replace that.

Cheers for the input!

Edited by Skattotter