[3.1.1] Doing an arbitrary large amount of damage to enemies while the game is paused

thelee

Question

I recently reported an issue where Repulsing Seal could trigger (sometimes many many many) times from one activation: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/106556-31-hazard-effects-can-trigger-multiple-times/

I just came across what appears to be a related issue.

I'm not precisely sure what triggered it, but in a fight with Frost Shades where several AoE effects were going (and where the battle was intense enough that I was pausing every other second or so), I got to a weird state where while the game was paused I saw lots of damage numbers appear over a Frost Shade (a huge cascade of red "1"s appeared overhead) until they died while the game was paused. A short bit later, during a different pause, every other Frost Shade also did this, wiping them all out, again while the game was paused.

I was so surprised by this I wasn't able to get a screenshot of it in action, and the damage numbers don't appear in the combat log, so the best I can do is provide a dropbox link to a save game and an OS X output_log: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ue7f165aztxlnq0/AAD5f9_Z6oBIF43kVKSdAkola?dl=0

Edited by thelee
  • Like 1

4 answers to this question

More details: in that save, I headed to the left to fight the vast army of frost shades. It didn't happen on my first attempt (which failed because Vela got pummeled real fast by a few frost shades), but it happened half way through my second attempt.

Contrary to my OP it may not be a hazard or aoe-related thing, because I also have two barbarians with blood frenzy, so the damage numbers could have come from some extremely buggy blood frenzy procs. Or something else. Who knows? I've literally never had this happen before, and I only thought of the Repulsing Seal bug because it seemed very similar (something that should only trigger once instead triggers many, many, many times).

In my opinion this is a much more severe bug than the Repulsing Seal bug. I've had an enemy use Repulsing Seal on me and have it trigger multiple times, which sort of disables one character for a long time. But if this damage spike were to happen to my party, it would literally game over me.

Hello Thelee!

That sounds like it could be pretty serious if it happens to your party.  I put a report together and attached the files you provided.  As usual, if you discover anything else about this, please continue to post it here as I'm linking this thread to the bug report to be used as a reference.

Thank again Thelee!

Based on the log and your save, this seems like it's probably caused by casting Concelhaut's Corrosive Siphon on the enemy and swapping grimoires on the caster while the effect is still active.  Does that seem like something you did?

I'll get a fix in before 4.0.0 final.

• Like 3

Based on the log and your save, this seems like it's probably caused by casting Concelhaut's Corrosive Siphon on the enemy and swapping grimoires on the caster while the effect is still active.  Does that seem like something you did?

I'll get a fix in before 4.0.0 final.

yes, definitely sounds like something I did; I definitely remember casting corrosive siphon, and I definitely remember watching the spellcasting delay reset after a grimoire switch.

• Like 1