"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more..."

Recently, some of you will remember I posted about a PoTD melee class, for a solo run. Over several pages of discussion we concluded Goldpact/Streetfighter or Devoted both as being very viable candidates. I can report back that The Devoted option, works beautifully. And, now that I've done that, I'm ready to pull a caster class run, with plenty of AoE damage, and the extreme survivability that I've become accustomed to with my Goldpact/Devoted character.

I feel like the following builds are probably going to work best:

1. Arcane Knight (Paladin/Wizard) - Seems tanky, and filled with that delicious wizzy DPS

2. Sage (Monk/Wizard) - Helwalker for that HUGE boost to might and intelligence (i think)

3. Thaumaturge (Priest/Wizard) - We've all seen u/ Hulk'O'Saurus most recent amazing build :)

Does anyone have any first hand experience with the above builds?

Are there other more suitable builds (ie. Sorceror or Geomancer)?

What are our most important stats?

Personally I'd like to stay away from Arcana/Alchmey dependant builds. I'd love to pick up Slight of Hand/Mechanics instead, for the sure fun of it.

Anyways if someone could kick off and give me some input maybe that would be awesome :)

Recently, some of you will remember I posted about a PoTD melee class, for a solo run. Over several pages of discussion we concluded Goldpact/Streetfighter or Devoted both as being very viable candidates. I can report back that The Devoted option, works beautifully. And, now that I've done that, I'm ready to pull a caster class run, with plenty of AoE damage, and the extreme survivability that I've become accustomed to with my Goldpact/Devoted character.

1. Arcane Knight (Paladin/Wizard) - Seems tanky, and filled with that delicious wizzy DPS

2. Sage (Monk/Wizard) - Helwalker for that HUGE boost to might and intelligence (i think)

3. Thaumaturge (Priest/Wizard) - We've all seen u/ Hulk'O'Saurus most recent amazing build :)

Personally I'd like to stay away from Arcana/Alchmey dependant builds. I'd love to pick up Slight of Hand/Mechanics instead, for the sure fun of it.

Anyways if someone could kick off and give me some input maybe that would be awesome :)

You finished PotD with Devoted/Paladin?

Currently level 17, I should finish up this week. Devoted/Paladin has been a breeze, i can be completely surrounded and remain at full health. I haven't used healing potions since around level 12. Its very rare that I have to use LOH or my athletic heals. All in all, shes a machine :)

• Like 1

Currently level 17, I should finish up this week. Devoted/Paladin has been a breeze, i can be completely surrounded and remain at full health. I haven't used healing potions since around level 12. Its very rare that I have to use LOH or my athletic heals. All in all, shes a machine :)

Nice to hear!  What weapon(s) did you use?  Gear?  Stats?

Also, how did you handle Fampyr Cave, Splintered Reef, and Nemnok cave(s)? 

I’ve done a solo PotD run with a Sage (the Mirrorback sage build in Boerer’s list). It was pretty fun.

I will flag that against big bosses, it was noticeably squishier than my armor-stacking Holy Slayer run. (And it wasn’t on upscaled PotD, just “normal” PotD.) So definitely not as durable as a devoted/goldpact build. A ton of fun against mobs though.

EDIT: ...and you asked for stats. The build I ran with maxed Res and Per, had decent Mig and Int, flat Dex, and low Con.

Edited by whimper

Nice to hear!  What weapon(s) did you use?  Gear?  Stats?

Also, how did you handle Fampyr Cave, Splintered Reef, and Nemnok cave(s)? 

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/105898-class-build-bloodsail-the-pirate-paladin/

I'm using WoEP currently. But will be testing Sanguine Great Sword later today or tomorrow. My last save is just outside the Fampyr cave. I went in at level 15 and was able to divide some of the argos, but in the end was overwhelmed (they were just to high a level). I'm resting with Wael's wind for immunity to mind afflictions so I don't expect much trouble to be honest. The Devoted build is SO tanky, all be it a bit slow to kill, but thats on me and my weapon choice (no regrets BTW).

Splintered Reef, and Nemnok will be next around level 19/20

Edited by diamondsforever

I’ve done a solo PotD run with a Sage (the Mirrorback sage build in Boerer’s list). It was pretty fun.

I will flag that against big bosses, it was noticeably squishier than my armor-stacking Holy Slayer run. (And it wasn’t on upscaled PotD, just “normal” PotD.) So definitely not as durable as a devoted/goldpact build. A ton of fun against mobs though.

You know how I like tanky... Sage seems like it'd be fun. I probably wouldn't upscale with it either :)

I'm thinking Arcane Knight or Thaumaturge are my top choices, the edge going toward the AK, those paladin passives are amazeballs.

You know how I like tanky... Sage seems like it'd be fun. I probably wouldn't upscale with it either :)

I'm thinking Arcane Knight or Thaumaturge are my top choices, the edge going toward the AK, those paladin passives are amazeballs.

Yeah, Arcane Knight would definitely be tankier. Noticeably lower blasting damage (since both Mig and Int multiplicatively boost damage w the right spells, and a Helwalker can get near the 35 stat max for both). But definitely more durable!

And yeah, I completely agree: the Paladin passives are amazing...

I found Devoted/Paladin virtually invincible as well; but he was also in a party! ;)

I am running a Holy Slayer now to see if the DPS is a bit better.

Yeah, Arcane Knight would definitely be tankier. Noticeably lower blasting damage (since both Mig and Int multiplicatively boost damage w the right spells, and a Helwalker can get near the 35 stat max for both). But definitely more durable!

And yeah, I completely agree: the Paladin passives are amazing...

I'm torn about the Sage, I guess its a trade off. Some defense for huge power boost...

What are the advantages to AK vs Thaumaturge?

Or visa versa?

Lastly, because Sage is still appealing, what happens if we combine Sage with Tuotilo’s Palm? Is this a good idea, or am I being dumb here?

Yeah, it’s a good idea. I ran with it myself. :)

Hey, thanks for mentioning me, OP ;).

I also have this guy. Took him through solo some time before. 

E9ibI7O.png

Also, bear in mind I can only speak about Thaumaturge of Wael here.

My Goldpact Arcane Knight is less versatile than my Thaumaturge of Wael. It's easier to play because you have quite a few passive bonuses and straightforward skills, but the ceiling is lower as you may end up struggling with damage because your Wizard side is left to cast both defensive and offensive spells. You can always combine with scrolls(both Paladin and Wizard start with Arcana), and that's fun, but if you overconsume them, you may end up without crafting materials--money won't be the problem. You have to make use of more 'budget' skills like Minor Blights and Phantom Summons and those can be a bit slow, meaning that they may not be for everyone.

The Thaumaturge of Wael produces more nuking resources, both from Wizard and Priest, and has a buff available for every stat as well as a few more time-based defensive options that make him very durable during limited periods. I find those periods enough to deal with whatever, though. 

Generally, I think the Thaumaturge is more dynamic and fun, but you also need to choose your skills and how they fit you into what you want to be doing. You can mess up a Thaumaturge more than you can mess up an Arcane Knight :)

IP5ok2U.png

m0x5eY5.pngtBxm170.png

What are the advantages to AK vs Thaumaturge?

Or visa versa?

Lastly, because Sage is still appealing, what happens if we combine Sage with Tuotilo’s Palm? Is this a good idea, or am I being dumb here?

Yeah, it’s a good idea. I ran with it myself. :)

Hey, thanks for mentioning me, OP ;).

I also have this guy. Took him through solo some time before. 

E9ibI7O.png

Also, bear in mind I can only speak about Thaumaturge of Wael here.

My Goldpact Arcane Knight is less versatile than my Thaumaturge of Wael. It's easier to play because you have quite a few passive bonuses and straightforward skills, but the ceiling is lower as you may end up struggling with damage because your Wizard side is left to cast both defensive and offensive spells. You can always combine with scrolls(both Paladin and Wizard start with Arcana), and that's fun, but if you overconsume them, you may end up without crafting materials--money won't be the problem. You have to make use of more 'budget' skills like Minor Blights and Phantom Summons and those can be a bit slow, meaning that they may not be for everyone.

The Thaumaturge of Wael produces more nuking resources, both from Wizard and Priest, and has a buff available for every stat as well as a few more time-based defensive options that make him very durable during limited periods. I find those periods enough to deal with whatever, though. 

Generally, I think the Thaumaturge is more dynamic and fun, but you also need to choose your skills and how they fit you into what you want to be doing. You can mess up a Thaumaturge more than you can mess up an Arcane Knight :)

Okay, okay, so which of these is the best at killing Fampyr's and Bosses?

Because, they all sound so good...

If you do consumable run, you can go with any class combination maybe except Druids and Barbarians
If you do only with healing pots you can take Fighter/X or Paladin/X or Monk/X
If you plan to do without consumables then only  Paladin/X, especially Paladin/Chanter

Solo PotD builds: The Glanfathan Soul Hunter (Neutral seer. Dominate and manipulate your enemies), Harbinger of Doom (Dark shaman. Burn and sacrifice, yourself and enemies for Skaen sake)

If you do consumable run, you can go with any class combination maybe except Druids and Barbarians

If you plan to do without consumables then only  Paladin/X, especially Paladin/Chanter

Probably healing pots and food only type run. I don't want to have to spend a ton of time crafting and finding materials for crafting if possible :)

Probably healing pots and food only type run. I don't want to have to spend a ton of time crafting and finding materials for crafting if possible :)

Then - Paladin/Streetfighter, Fighter/Soulblade, Paladin/Ranger, Paladin/Chanter, Paladin/Fighter, Monk/Wizard, Monk/Fighter, Monk/Paladin.

The game has pretty easy mathematic (if we will skip all unstable classes like Streetfighter/Berserker or BDD like builds)

You just need:

- Some way to restore your hit points (for example healing pots)

- ~19-20 armor (~50% DM reduction for bosses attacks)

- ~130 defenses and 120 ACC

You can play with numbers and try to sacrifice some numbers for more offensive setups 

Edited by mant2si

Solo PotD builds: The Glanfathan Soul Hunter (Neutral seer. Dominate and manipulate your enemies), Harbinger of Doom (Dark shaman. Burn and sacrifice, yourself and enemies for Skaen sake)

Then - Paladin/Streetfighter, Fighter/Soulblade, Paladin/Ranger, Paladin/Chanter, Paladin/Fighter, Monk/Wizard, Monk/Fighter, Monk/Paladin.

The game has pretty easy mathematic (if we will skip all unstable classes like Streetfighter/Berserker or BDD like builds)

You just need:

You can play with numbers and try to sacrifice some numbers for more offensive setups 

You need that on every character?!

I don't know how to get 19-20 armor on any non-Goldpact character; and I don't know 120 ACC on any non-Ranger character.

If you plan to do without consumables then only Paladin/X, especially Paladin/Chanter

Then - Paladin/Streetfighter, Fighter/Soulblade, Paladin/Ranger, Paladin/Chanter, Paladin/Fighter, Monk/Wizard, Monk/Fighter, Monk/Paladin.

You just need:

You need that on every character?!

I don't know how to get 19-20 armor on any non-Goldpact character; and I don't know 120 ACC on any non-Ranger character.

Interesting, I’ve been leaning toward sage (monk/wizard) in this discussion. And you’ve sorta confirmed less management is needed with it. My issue becomes what to do about the squishy side of that?

I’ve also been considering monk/druid, Someone posted a sort of storm caller build using all shock equipment. Looked pretty dope :)

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/102529-class-build-the-fate-testarossa/ <<<--- Heres the build i was talking about.

Edited by diamondsforever

@diamondsforever

Well just check videos on YouTube for solo builds. Most of them (if not all) is Paladin (because of regeneration/armor stacking)
Then for solo exist cheesing tactics such as invisible chanter (infinity summoning), arcana abusing (damage stacking), plus there exist a lot of builds which can solo game without BoW dragon and Mega boss (You can check my old BDD build and Ranger/Cipher)
By myself I know a least 2  build which can solo game with all boss, only with healing pots (without Paladin and Arcana) Soulblade/Fighter, Ranger/Fighter

All other caster builds is usually non-viable on solo run because Obsidian decided to make their abilities cast per fight

Edited by mant2si

Anything with Wizard in it is not squishy. 

Well i mean... okay you win :)

@diamondsforever

Well just check videos on YouTube for solo builds. Most of them (if not all) is Paladin (because of regeneration/armor stacking)

Then for solo exist cheesing tactics such as invisible chanter (infinity summoning), arcana abusing (damage stacking), plus there exist a lot of builds which can solo game without BoW dragon and Mega boss (You can check my old BDD build and Ranger/Cipher)

By myself I know a least 2  build which can solo game with all boss, only with healing pots (without Paladin and Arcana) Soulblade/Fighter, Ranger/Fighter

All other caster builds is usually non-viable on solo run because Obsidian decided to make their abilities cast per fight

I've done that, and currently i'm running a Devoted/Goldpact and shes indestructible, I'm looking to do my next run as a caster class, but ideally I want to be tanky :)

Well i mean... okay you win :)

Well... there's more to be said on the matter for sure: choosing skills, managing them throughout the fight, making sure it's not too long... maybe it does look really reductionist to say it the way I did, but yeah... just look at Llengrath's Safeguard.

IP5ok2U.png

m0x5eY5.pngtBxm170.png