What's after PoE2 ? And consoles release date?

So i bought the first game on PS4 and i have to say it was a good surprise felt like a D&D game wich was enjoyable :)

I'm wanting to buy the second on PS4 as well , but its still no release date ? was expecting it coming in october-november...

And after this one what's next ? will they create PoE3 ?

If so , i hope there is some new original story with new original characters.. from what i read people say this game is kinda lame and has bad story and etc.. i hope they are wrong cause the trailer of the game maked me wanted to play and looked interesting..

was wondering if its possible to do something like Divinity where there is some co-op.. it would be awesome playing co-op online in this game :)

anyway keep it going Obsidian ( Still waiting for Kotor 3 )

• Like 1

The last I heard the console release was targeting Q4 - so I would expect it sometime in December at its earliest.

There have been no news what's in store for the future of the franchise.

The chance that PoE3 will get COOP is so close to zero it is not worth thinking about - it would require a major redesign and reimplementation of most of the game.

Edited by Night Stalker
  • Like 3

They may do a PoE3, but right now they're still making this one (new features in patches and DLC content). Presumably the console versions will come once all the DLC is out and include all the content that's in the PC version by default.

Regarding the story, the main quest plot isn't very good but the setting is interesting and there's a lot of colourful characters and well-done exploration. I'd say it gets right more than it gets wrong, even if it's no New Vegas

And after this one what's next ? will they create PoE3 ?

I think there is a chance of almost 100% that they will. The changed a lot of things when doing Deadfire, but PoE3 probably wouldn't change much from the second and so would be comparatively easier to make. I read that somewhere, but I don't remember where...

Anyway, if PoE3 will be easier to make and is their IP, why wouldn't they make it?

• Like 1

sign.jpg

I don't remember there being any specific news about the Deadfire port (except that it is in the works). Port is done by other studio (just as was the case with PoE1) and people at Obs are currently working on 3 DLC for the main game (1st one being already out, 2nd one is out this coming tuesday and last one is planned sometime in December).

I wouldn't be surprised if the port dropped once the 3rd DLC is out. Game should be quite complete by then with all the improvements and free additions/DLC. 

Whenever there is anything else planned for Deadfire or if the sequel ior spin off s/will be in the works is unknown at this point. Personally, I am keeping my fingers crossed for a bigger post main campaign expansion as I think Deadfire could one. There are quite a lot of "payoffs" such expansion could deliver. uhhh, one can only hope.

As to the main game story - the plot isn't as coherent or satisfying as the original was. I am appreciating it much more now, during my 2nd playthrough. I think storytelling has improved a lot, although the story they tell might not be quite as thrilling or... complete? 

• Like 6

As to the main game story - the plot isn't as coherent or satisfying as the original was. I am appreciating it much more now, during my 2nd playthrough. I think storytelling has improved a lot, although the story they tell might not be quite as thrilling or... complete? 

Part 2s are hard. They aren't as sexy as part 1s where everything is new and they aren't as satisfying as part 3s where everything gets wrapped up. Even good ones feel underwhelming.

• Like 4

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

I feel my main character never got involved in it at all so it makes me hard to get excited about main quest. It's seem the writer try to writing a nonconventional story but fail. After finished POE 2 main story. I think I just got ME3-style ending. 

Part 2s are hard. They aren't as sexy as part 1s where everything is new and they aren't as satisfying as part 3s where everything gets wrapped up. Even good ones feel underwhelming.

Absolutely. It always annoys me that creators go for "trilogies". Even StarWars, which inspired that trend as far as I understand fell flat on its face with the 3rd installment and 2nd one ended up with a horrible cliffhanger.

Considering that Josh Sawyer doesn't plan on continuing as creative director for PoE it seems odd to me, to leave game hanging like that. Leaving a clean slate for the successor seems like a better situation. If Brandon were to help PoE3 right after Deadfire he would have a lot of dangling threads to deal with. Reminds me of The Last Jedi situation, though hopefully, unlike J. J. Abrams, Sawyer actually knows what he is setting up.

Or perhaps my hopes are real, and the "...more to come" on the Deadfire timeline, fact that the different team of leads helm the DLCs, and that community quite decisively prefered a larger expansion might result in a larger campaign being developed behind the scenes. I remember sometime during development of PoE1, someone mentioning how cool idea was Final Fantasy6 with it's breaking of the world thing. If we were to return to Deadfire after the ending of main campaign it might make for some spectacular RPG goodness. Oh no, I am getting my hopes up again for an unreleased, unannounced content. 

• Like 2

This game doesn't set up a "part 3". It has an open ending where the world changes as a result of what happens.

Second sentence contradicts the first. The “open ending” *is* the set up for part 3.

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

This game doesn't set up a "part 3". It has an open ending where the world changes as a result of what happens. Obsidian didn't even plan for their leveling system to account for the DLC they knew they'd be making, you really think they planned two games at once?

Doesnt it? It sets up a problem that need to be solved. As of right:

the wheel has been broken and kith need to decide what to do about it and what to do about Gods

I would expect Watcher in whatever installement comes next be a driving force for making that change.

Isn’t an open-ending an undefined one? (Is Dicaprio at he end of inception dreaming or not, etc.) Deadfire has a very defined ending with serious implications for whatever comes next. It feels more like a set up to me, than a resolution/ending of a journey. If they go for a “Watcher trilogy” then directly trying 2&3rd installements would be a tradition at this point, though IMO not a very good one.

Actually about the ending (massive spoilers):

Interestingally, there isn’t much variation in the ending of the Deadfire - the key event that has major implications for future stories is always the same - the wheel has been broken, Gods will be exposed for what they are and starve to death without the wheel, kith will not be reborn. Kith need to decide what to do about it, possibly work with/against gods. Start expansion/PoE3.

The only other options are convincing Eothas to end the world (“false ending”, incompatible with sequels), trying to fight Eothas and die in the process (also a “false” ending).

All other stuff are variations on ending no.1, which could be reference in the next installement in a small way (like Deadfire does with PoE1, especially if we talk about PoE3 which takes place in a different part of the world) or with more ambitious reactivity (aka Tyranny, which IMO would be a bit of waste of resources).

So yeah, seems like a strong set up for whatever comes next to me.

Edit: as far as leveling is concerned, for the very beginning they made it clear that White March didn’t pay for itself and they were going to handle it differently. I imagine it is less of not thinking about it, and more deciding not to invest resources in the new level cap and just focusfocusing on the core of each DLC (story/combat/dungeon).

Edited by Wormerine
  • Like 2

Clearly none of that was the intended product of a team of storytellers, Wormerime. Some monkeys sat down in front of some typewriters and we got this instead of Shakespeare

Edited by Achilles

The "problem" it sets up is actually the solution.

from Eothas's perspective, the problem is that the whole way the world is set up doesn't work- look at all the terrible things Thaos did just to maintain the status quo! Eothas's solution is a new dawn- bring about another era where gods and mortals work together to rebuild the Wheel, and in the process rebuild their relationship. It's established that rebuilding the Wheel isn't difficult, it just requires co-operation

This game doesn't set up a "part 3". It has an open ending where the world changes as a result of what happens. Obsidian didn't even plan for their leveling system to account for the DLC they knew they'd be making, you really think they planned two games at once?

Doesnt it? It sets up a problem that need to be solved. As of right:

the wheel has been broken and kith need to decide what to do about it and what to do about Gods

I would expect Watcher in whatever installement comes next be a driving force for making that change.

Isn’t an open-ending an undefined one? (Is Dicaprio at he end of inception dreaming or not, etc.) Deadfire has a very defined ending with serious implications for whatever comes next. It feels more like a set up to me, than a resolution/ending of a journey. If they go for a “Watcher trilogy” then directly trying 2&3rd installements would be a tradition at this point, though IMO not a very good one.

Actually about the ending (massive spoilers):

Interestingally, there isn’t much variation in the ending of the Deadfire - the key event that has major implications for future stories is always the same - the wheel has been broken, Gods will be exposed for what they are and starve to death without the wheel, kith will not be reborn. Kith need to decide what to do about it, possibly work with/against gods. Start expansion/PoE3.

The only other options are convincing Eothas to end the world (“false ending”, incompatible with sequels), trying to fight Eothas and die in the process (also a “false” ending).

All other stuff are variations on ending no.1, which could be reference in the next installement in a small way (like Deadfire does with PoE1, especially if we talk about PoE3 which takes place in a different part of the world) or with more ambitious reactivity (aka Tyranny, which IMO would be a bit of waste of resources).

So yeah, seems like a strong set up for whatever comes next to me.

Edit: as far as leveling is concerned, for the very beginning they made it clear that White March didn’t pay for itself and they were going to handle it differently. I imagine it is less of not thinking about it, and more deciding not to invest resources in the new level cap and just focusfocusing on the core of each DLC (story/combat/dungeon).

Hiring better writer or get Eric Fenstermaker back. Avoid any management system like stronghold or boat. I think the kickstarter is to fund additional like more spells, more classes, more monster, more quests, etc.

So i bought the first game on PS4 and i have to say it was a good surprise felt like a D&D game wich was enjoyable :)

I'm wanting to buy the second on PS4 as well , but its still no release date ? was expecting it coming in october-november...

I am in the same boat regarding the console release date. I am on my 4th play through on the PS4 Verison of POE and really am impatiently waiting for POE2, but I think as others have mentioned, the original estimate was Holiday 2018. However,  given the DLC release schedule, I would not be surprised, saddened yes, but not surprised,  if the console release slips well into next year so they can include all the DLC in a definitive edition.  Either way I have it on order on amazon, just to help show interest in continued console ports.  

Edited by Tbone3336
  • Like 1

The "problem" it sets up is actually the solution.

from Eothas's perspective, the problem is that the whole way the world is set up doesn't work- look at all the terrible things Thaos did just to maintain the status quo! Eothas's solution is a new dawn- bring about another era where gods and mortals work together to rebuild the Wheel, and in the process rebuild their relationship. It's established that rebuilding the Wheel isn't difficult, it just requires co-operation

A lot of assumptions there. Co-operation isn’t required; it’s only one option. An option that the Watcher will be able to advocate for in Part 3 (assuming that the player doesn’t role play another option).

A lot of assumptions there.

sure, but you're claiming that this entire game only exists to set up a different game, so I figure this is a discussion where some assumptions are allowed
No, no, no...Deadfire has plot of its own. It just also happens to set up the next installment as well. For another example of this, just see any trilogy ever made.