Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Building a party of 5 to have fun in POTD

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

Yosharian

Yosharian

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1036 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
[1: The Watcher] 2h damage dealer
-=-Class: Warlock [Berserker/Wizard]
-=-Race: Human (+1 MIG, +1 RES)
-=-Culture: Old Vailia (+1 INT)
-=-Attributes: MIG15-CON07-DEX15-PER18-INT19-RES04
-=-Attribute bonus: Effigy's Resentment (Durance) - +1 CON, +5% max Health
-=-Attribute bonus: Gift from the Machine - +1 MIG, +5% max Health
-=-Attribute bonus: Berath's Blessing - +2 to all attributes 
-=-Roles: damage, crits, spellcasting
-=-Equipment:
Head: Falcon Helm (!) / Horns of the Bleak Mother (vs. Frighten/Terrify)
Neck: Bone Setter's Torc (!)
Cloak: Magnificent Escape Cloak (!)
Armor: Devil Breastplate (!)
Hands: Gatecrashers (!)
Ring1: Drunkard's Regret
Ring2: Voidward (!)
Belt: Ngati's Girdle
Feet: Slippers of the Assassin
Weapon: The Willbreaker
WeaponALT: Voidwheel / Whispers of the Endless Paths
WeaponRNG: Blightheart

[2] Iron Hammer build
-=-Class: Swashbuckler [Unbroken/Trickster]
-=-Attributes: MIG06-CON06-DEX10-PER18-INT19-RES19
-=-Roles: tank, flanker
-=-Equipment:
Head: Blackened Plate Helm
Neck: The Gift Bearer's Cloth
Cloak: Nemnok's Cloak (!)
Armor: Blackened Plate Armor
Hands: Aegor's Swift Touch
Ring1: Ring of Greater Regeneration
Ring2: Etonia Signet Ring (!)
Belt: Gywn's Bridal Garter
Feet: Boots of the Stone
Weapon: Last Word (!)
Shield: Akola's Apex Ward (!)
WeaponRNG: ??
ShieldALT: Nerian's Ward

[3] Fate Testarossa build
-=-Class: Ascetic [Helwalker/Fury]
-=-Race: Pale Elf (+1 DEX, +1 PER)
-=-Culture: The White That Wends (+1 PER)
-=-Attributes: MIG18-CON09-DEX10-PER20-INT18-RES03
-=-Roles: damage dealer
-=-Equipment:
Head: Heaven's Cacophony (!)
Neck: Cipher's Shackle (!)
Cloak: Mantle of the Seven Bolts (!)
Armor: Deltro's Cage (Conductive Storm) (!)
Hands: Boltcatchers (!)
Ring1: Kuaru's Prize (!)
Ring2: Ring of Boundless Stars (!)
Belt: The Maker's Own Power (!)
Feet: Rakhan Field Boots (!)
Weapon1: Lord Darryn's Voulge (!)
WeaponALT: Chromoprismatic Quarterstaff
WeaponRNG: Thundercrack Pistol

[4] Ranged damage dealer, HP regeneration items to counteract Deleterious Alacrity of Motion & Scepter Modal
-=-Class: Wizard [Evoker]
-=-Race: Wood Elf (+1 DEX, +1 PER)
-=-Culture: The White That Wends (+1 PER)
-=-Attributes: MIG18-CON08-DEX19-PER20-INT10-RES03
-=-Roles: damage dealer
-=-Equipment:
Head: Whitewitch Mask (!)
Neck: Protective Eothasian Charm (!)
Cloak: Three Trolls Stitched (!)
Armor: Miscreant's Leathers / Fleshmender (!)
Hands: Firethrower's Gloves (!)
Ring1: Ring of Greater Regeneration (!)
Ring2: Ring of the Marksman (!)
Belt: Spellkeeper
Feet: Bounding Boots (!)
Weapon1: Eye of Wael
Weapon2: Whale of a Wand / Amaliorra

[5]
-=-Class: Templar [Priest of Magran/Bleak Walker]
-=-Attributes: MIG10-CON10-DEX18-PER18-INT19-RES03
-=-Roles: tank, healing, fire damage
-=-Equipment:
Head: Thaos' Headdress (!)
Neck: Strand of Favor (!)
Cloak: Mirrorback / Badrwn's Cover
Armor: Furrante's Breastplate (!)
Hands: Woedica's Strangling Grasp
Ring1: Ring of Focused Flame (!)
Ring2: Halgot's Warmth (!)
Belt: Physicker's Belt (!)
Feet: Footprints of Ahu Taka (!)
Weapon: Magran's Favour (!)
Shield: Lethandria's Devotion / Bronlar's Phalanx?
WeaponALT: Eccea's Arcane Blaster
ShieldALT: Xoti's Lantern

Edited by Yosharian, 14 September 2018 - 04:07 AM.

dunehunter

dunehunter

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2469 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer

From a min-max aspect, I wouldn't count a morningstar wielder a DPSer in any case, the morningstar's low base damage, bad full attack performance limits your damage output. To me the only melee DPSer are dual wielders and those 2Her that uses DLC Oath Breaker axe/new Arma, or WotEP DoT builds.

Also with Berserker/Devoted and morningstar, your penetration will be 8+4+2+2 = 16, and 17(enemy flanked), 21 if you are using Penetration Strike... Do you always need such high PEN? And u are wasting a lot weapon diversity because of devoted.

Edited by dunehunter, 10 September 2018 - 12:13 AM.

Sifjar

Sifjar

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 74 posts
  • Steam:Sifjar

I would suggest Sage if you are not sick from wizard as MC. RP wise wizards are great. Most badass characters in game are wizards. Monk from other hand gives you variety for caster/range/melee role plus you can use w/e weapon you want. Ofc pure wizard will be more powerfull as a caster, but Sage will be more flexible.

Currently i am playing No sublass Wizard/Helwalker. Started with pistols and casting spells from distance. Then switched to blunderbuss and Combusting Wounds. Then to Citzal's Lance and Instruments of Pain. Now when i got Chromoprismatic Quarterstaff i am thinking to drop any martial action and just melt enemies with spells.

My point is that i never was bored with all this changing weapons and spells i have at my disposal. 

Edited by Sifjar, 10 September 2018 - 12:12 AM.

Yosharian

Yosharian

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1036 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer

From a min-max aspect, I wouldn't count a morningstar wielder a DPSer in any case, the morningstar's low base damage, bad full attack performance limits your damage output. To me the only melee DPSer are dual wielders and those 2Her that uses DLC Oath Breaker axe/new Arma, or WotEP DoT builds.

Can you recommend something specific?  The Will Breaker page claimed that it was a decent build, but if it isn't, I'm happy to replace it with something else.

Yosharian

Yosharian

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1036 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer

I would suggest Sage if you are not sick from wizard as MC. RP wise wizards are great. Most badass characters in game are wizards. Monk from other hand gives you variety for caster/range/melee role plus you can use w/e weapon you want. Ofc pure wizard will be more powerfull as a caster, but Sage will be more flexible.

Currently i am playing No sublass Wizard/Helwalker. Started with pistols and casting spells from distance. Then switched to blunderbuss and Combusting Wounds. Then to Citzal's Lance and Instruments of Pain. Now when i got Chromoprismatic Quarterstaff i am thinking to drop any martial action and just melt enemies with spells.

My point is that i never was bored with all this changing weapons and spells i have at my disposal. 

I'd rather not play another Monk as I'm quite set on using the Fate Testarossa build.  I don't care about RP.

Edited by Yosharian, 10 September 2018 - 12:14 AM.

Sifjar

Sifjar

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 74 posts

Also i tried Devoted/Helwalker, Devoted/Berserker and Devoted/Streetfighter. Liked berserker's version better. More relieable dps. But problems lies that melee builds ending being fully automated but AI. It's cool, but gets pretty boring at some point.

If i didn't finish first PoE not so long ago as wizard i would go wizard right away.

dunehunter

dunehunter

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2469 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer

Can you recommend something specific?  The Will Breaker page claimed that it was a decent build, but if it isn't, I'm happy to replace it with something else.

If you really like two-handers. For AOE, Oathbreaker and Arma or the soulbound pollaxe are the best. There are many builds around these weapons.

For single target DPS, I would recommend Voidwheel + Helwalker/Bleakwalker or Monk/Ghost Heart, Monk/Assassin. The key point is Swift Furry + Heartbeat Drumming + Necrotic Heart. Necrotic Heart has a 15%(25% when upgraded) chance to trigger Necrotic Lance on crit. So with the extra hit and high accuracy from FoD or Ranger/Assassin, it is very easy to trigger a chain effect. You crit -> crit -> crit and trigger Necrotic Lance, which usually instantly kill a low deflection target in one shot.

Also Monk/Paladin + Engoliero do Espirs can be a beast because of Sacred Immolation + Clarity of Agony. Every time you land a kill with SI, u will trigger ghostblade and get healed.

Edited by dunehunter, 10 September 2018 - 12:25 AM.

Sifjar

Sifjar

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 74 posts

I'd rather not play another Monk as I'm quite set on using the Fate Testarossa build.  I don't care about RP.

Yea. I would go with Battlemage for name of multiclass. But Fighter doesnt bring much to caster. So ended up with sage :(

Manveru123

Manveru123

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 498 posts

The Fate Testarossa is a build that deals a lot of friendly fire damage. If you ignore that and just put in some builds that you feel are cool, you will destroy yourself instead of POTD.

Yosharian

Yosharian

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1036 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer

Also i tried Devoted/Helwalker, Devoted/Berserker and Devoted/Streetfighter. Liked berserker's version better. More relieable dps. But problems lies that melee builds ending being fully automated but AI. It's cool, but gets pretty boring at some point.

If i didn't finish first PoE not so long ago as wizard i would go wizard right away.

I don't mind automation at all.  I'll spend my time microing the casters of the group.

Ascaloth

Ascaloth

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 217 posts
  • Steam:falcontakehiro

Just keep in mind that Fate can't quite put out the ****hueg nuke numbers that were shown in the images on the first page anymore, not since the v1.2 patch that nerfed Storm of Seven Bolts to no longer scale the numbers of thunderbolts produced to PL. There are images on the second and third pages of the thread which more accurately shows how well that nuke works ever since v1.2, and to be fair it still adds up to pretty high Shock numbers... but just so you know.

The Fate Testarossa is a build that deals a lot of friendly fire damage. If you ignore that and just put in some builds that you feel are cool, you will destroy yourself instead of POTD.

On the bright side, Static Charge from Lord Darryn's Voulge no longer causes friendly fire ever since v1.2 either. So Fate is a much safer build to play these days, compared to her first iteration.

Manveru123

Manveru123

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 498 posts

And much weaker too, which is very unfortunate, because that build is so cool. Why have fun when you can have balunz though.

Haplok

Haplok

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 515 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

If you really like two-handers. For AOE, Oathbreaker and Arma or the soulbound pollaxe are the best. There are many builds around these weapons.

For single target DPS, I would recommend Voidwheel + Helwalker/Bleakwalker or Monk/Ghost Heart, Monk/Assassin. The key point is Swift Furry + Heartbeat Drumming + Necrotic Heart. Necrotic Heart has a 15%(25% when upgraded) chance to trigger Necrotic Lance on crit. So with the extra hit and high accuracy from FoD or Ranger/Assassin, it is very easy to trigger a chain effect. You crit -> crit -> crit and trigger Necrotic Lance, which usually instantly kill a low deflection target in one shot.

Also Monk/Paladin + Engoliero do Espirs can be a beast because of Sacred Immolation + Clarity of Agony. Every time you land a kill with SI, u will trigger ghostblade and get healed.

Your aoe list is missing Eager Blade. Also you mention Engoliero, but only in connection with SI, while it's a pretty good general purpose aoe weapon as well.

As for the OP, I'd also consider an addition of a Cipher Ascendant to the party. I'd probably go pure, though Helwalker, Ranger or Streetfighter multiclasses would work as well.

Edit: You consider a Cipher. Ascendant is the best by far. You can use Charm, of course. But a cipher brings a lot more to the table. Pure Cipher gets access to cool powers much sooner.

Edited by Haplok, 10 September 2018 - 12:52 AM.

dunehunter

dunehunter

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2469 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer

Your aoe list is missing Eager Blade. Also you mention Engoliero, but only in connection with SI, while it's a pretty good general purpose aoe weapon as well.

As for the OP, I'd also consider an addition of a Cipher Ascendant to the party. I'd probably go pure, though Helwalker, Ranger or Streetfighter multiclasses would work as well.

Edit: You consider a Cipher. Ascendant is the best by far. You can use Charm, of course. But a cipher brings a lot more to the table. Pure Cipher gets access to cool powers much sooner.

Engoliero is a bit special as it procs not only on weapon kills, but any kills u made. So it's very suitable for any build that wanna be engaged with enemies, and can blast with spells or spell-like abilities.

Haplok

Haplok

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 515 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I realize. But Engoliero is also a very nice weapon for a little stabbin action. My Devoted/Streetfighter is very fond of it, escaping/charging into a group of thugs, activating Unbending and smashin' skulls. The zombie encounter in the old city near Min's Fortune was beautiful. Eager Blade works very well for this also. And so would Amra, I believe (may sometimes have issues with Penetration though).

LD Voulge is only great in the hands of a Barb (and Druid, due to different reasons), as Carnage propagates Static Charge and sadly I'm not a fan of Barbs in PoE sequel (a shame, Barbs and Ciphers were my favorite classes in PoE1).

Edited by Haplok, 10 September 2018 - 01:05 AM.

Yosharian

Yosharian

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1036 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer

Just keep in mind that Fate can't quite put out the ****hueg nuke numbers that were shown in the images on the first page anymore, not since the v1.2 patch that nerfed Storm of Seven Bolts to no longer scale the numbers of thunderbolts produced to PL. There are images on the second and third pages of the thread which more accurately shows how well that nuke works ever since v1.2, and to be fair it still adds up to pretty high Shock numbers... but just so you know.

On the bright side, Static Charge from Lord Darryn's Voulge no longer causes friendly fire ever since v1.2 either. So Fate is a much safer build to play these days, compared to her first iteration.

Which abilities from that build still cause friendly fire?

Yosharian

Yosharian

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1036 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer

It's not that I'm dead set on 2-handers, far from it.  I just liked the idea of debuffing enemy fortitude saves then using Brute Force to exploit it.  It's unusual, which means it gets bonus cool points.  Plus, morningstars look awesome.

I'm not a fan of on-kill effects because I consider them unreliable.

Edited by Yosharian, 10 September 2018 - 01:34 AM.

mant2si

mant2si

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 650 posts

If you want to destroy PotD and break game pick Wizard (no-subclass) / Monk (With 2x blunderbusses I don't know if there exist resonate build or not) / Holy Slayer (Streetfighter) / Chanter  

Edited by mant2si, 10 September 2018 - 01:44 AM.

Ascaloth

Ascaloth

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 217 posts
  • Steam:falcontakehiro

Storm of Seven Bolts, assuming you're not being especially careful with where you're aiming it. 

Yosharian

Yosharian

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1036 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer

Storm of Seven Bolts, assuming you're not being especially careful with where you're aiming it. 

Only that?  That seems like it'd be relatively easy to avoid firing at your own party members.  If it's only that ability, then the build is solid as far as I'm concerned.  Is it still a decent build in your opinion, or not?  If I use it, I won't use Helwalker/Monk with any other characters.

Edited by Yosharian, 10 September 2018 - 01:42 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users