Romance in KoTOR 2

From Chris Avellone in the Questions to the Devs thread:

I don't like to lock CNPC quest down to romance quests - it's more like we have relationship quests in K2, which aren't tied solely to romance but how much you are an example to your allies and how you treat them. Things like building friendships, loyalties, developing grudging respect or contempt, and occasionally the need to strangle the life out of each other will occur. And you can cheerfully shut them all down and ignore them if you want, though your companions may occasionally lay into each other without prompting.

I'm sorry, but I think this is an horrible idea. One of the reasons that KoTOR has been rated the best RPG of all time across all platforms is because of the romances. While I do like the other interactions, and look forward to them, cutting out the romance is simply awful.

KoTOR was very inspiring to many, many people, due in large part to the character development that was there when the PC was drawing romantically closer to either Carth or Bastila. Romances are included in just about every piece of classical literature out there, from every genre. There is a universal appeal about them, which is one of the reasons why Baldur's Gate II was such an enormous success as well.

The romances are one of the most talked about aspects of the game. The majourity of players love having them in there, and truly appreciate how much they added to the enjoyment of playing KoTOR. I know many, many people are looking forward to the romances in KoTOR 2, and when I asked at E3, I was informed by LA that there would be romances in the story.

Looking at it from purely a writer's standpoint, love is the single most powerful and most used device out there. Using Star Wars, the Han/Leia romance aside, the catalyst for most of the movies was love. Luke's love for Obi Wan, Luke's love for his friends, and finally, Luke's love for his father. It's difficult to inspire that kind of devotion in a third person environment like a game without using the romance card.

Please, please reconsider the romance option. I truly believe that KoTOR2 will suffer if it is left out, and many, many fans will be disappointed.

heh, i just reread this, and it sort of makes no sence.

i dont think it has been rated a great rpg cause of the horrible romance in it

how did the romance in the game inspire people?

i dont know if you can speak for the majority of the people about liking the romance

i dont know about anyone else, but my favorite parts of the game was killing the guy in the locker, great graphics, fun battles, and some of the more creative sidequests like the sandral/matale quest, not some romance plot

i wouldnt say that 'romance of kotor' is the most talked about aspect of the game

For me, it was at the whole 'Revelation'-part KotOR 1 peaked. But for my girlfriend, it was definately the romance (Eventhough she wanted a romance with Canderous instead, Carth was way too much of a p*ssy :D)

Never underestimate the power female consumers :rolleyes:

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Sorry if this has been brought up all ready,but they mentinoed that romance isn't the only or main focus of the interaction. Does that many more then one member of the party would open for the option of a romance?Besides the main male/female lead?

Sorry if this has been brought up all ready,but they mentinoed that romance isn't the only or main focus of the interaction. Does that many more then one member of the party would open for the option of a romance?Besides the main male/female lead?

Next time edit your post d!ckwad, it makes you look much more intelligent than posting twice. <_<

Next time edit your post d!ckwad, it makes you look much more intelligent than posting twice.

*Chuckles* Interesting...

Two different posts,for two different reasons. Not like it was a double post. (That being the same exact post twice in a row.)

Sorry if this has been brought up all ready,but they mentinoed that romance isn't the only or main focus of the interaction.

Yes, I'm very much looking forward to an episode of Corination Street with light sabers. :huh:

Next time edit your post d!ckwad, it makes you look much more intelligent than posting twice.

*Chuckles* Interesting...

Two different posts,for two different reasons. Not like it was a double post. (That being the same exact post twice in a row.)

Wow, you think some people would take a hint when you 'politely' flame them. Thanks for proving your skull is as thick as your gut. :lol:

Wow, you think some people would take a hint when you 'politely' flame them. Thanks for proving your skull is as thick as your gut.

That was polite?*L*If you say so.

You're welcome,and thank you for the wild generalization.

I wouldn't classify calling someone a dickwad polite. Though it's accurate to a point. Interesting how many insults aren't insults when you think about them.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Actually, my friends and I use some rather harsh terms for one another. We joke about some pretty screwed up stuff. It's vulgar, and it's fun. We've also known each other many years, and our comments have a vocal tone, facial expressions, body language, and years of context that they are applied in.

The typed word has at best, a lengthy context.

I could be wrong here, and a complete idiot. However, I don't get the impression that the insults in this forum are friendly.

Actually, my friends and I use some rather harsh terms for one another. We joke about some pretty screwed up stuff. It's vulgar, and it's fun. We've also known each other many years, and our comments have a vocal tone, facial expressions, body language, and years of context that they are applied in.

The typed word has at best, a lengthy context.

I could be wrong here, and a complete idiot. However, I don't get the impression that the insults in this forum are friendly.

I was being facetious. :huh:

I wouldn't classify calling someone a dickwad polite. Though it's accurate to a point. Interesting how many insults aren't insults when you think about them.

Check the context. Quotation marks around 'politely' and followed by flame. Hence it wasn't neccessarily polite, but it was farely mild as flames go. ;)

For me, it was at the whole 'Revelation'-part KotOR 1 peaked. But for my girlfriend, it was definately the romance (Eventhough she wanted a romance with Canderous instead, Carth was way too much of a p*ssy :p )

Never underestimate the power female consumers  ;)

Hear that Obsidian, not all fems liked Carth. I'm sure most of them would be perfectly happy with a more rugged Candyman style love interest. ;) ;)

:lol:

romances have become a bit of a gimmick to some extent. just stuck in because they're expected/desired by fans.

I wouldn't call romances a gimmick with only the backup of being desired by fans. Why is ANYTHING put into a game? Because it's what they think the players will enjoy. If players enjoy romances then of course there will always be the thought of adding them into a game.

Personally, I don't mind them not being there but with that said, for KOTOR the romance between Revan and Carth was what really made it hit that extra level in my book.

Love may have caused Anakin to fall to the dark but for my Revan, it was love that caused her to stay to the light. I think for a game such as this romance is a key element.

But that's just my two cents :)

Why is it that you put your two cents in, but only get a penny for your thoughts?

Someone is making a penny along the way.

I wonder how romance will be affected by the master/apprentice relationships in the game.

I'm guessing Mira will be the female romance figure, however I think there are some interesting undercurrents in a master/apprentice relationship that takes on new levels.

I wonder how romance will be affected by the master/apprentice relationships in the game.

Leather clothing, rivets, high heels and a whip ? ;)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

The psychology of relationships that incorporate dominance and submission are fascinating.

I think they're more honest, and usually more healthy despite incorporating what can be considered "deviant" behavior.

That is a conversation for another time.

The psychology of relationships that incorporate dominance and submission are fascinating.

I think they're more honest, and usually more healthy despite incorporating what can be considered "deviant" behavior.

That is a conversation for another time.

:ph34r: