Got two emeralds from Leofwyn in the Amira's Roost ruins (nameable island to the west of Fort Deadlight, same island you get Pukestabber).

Interesting, I wonder if this is a random drop or if I have simply missed it all this time. I will check it out during the day and if I can confirm I will update the OP. Thank you :)

I did not get any Emeralds from Leofwyn.

Got two emeralds from Leofwyn in the Amira's Roost ruins (nameable island to the west of Fort Deadlight, same island you get Pukestabber).

Interesting, I wonder if this is a random drop or if I have simply missed it all this time. I will check it out during the day and if I can confirm I will update the OP. Thank you :)

Yeah i didnt see u get em either, however i just found another Emerald in the fleet master's office in sayuka. lvl 7 locked chest =)

• Like 1

Yeah i didnt see u get em either, however i just found another Emerald in the fleet master's office in sayuka. lvl 7 locked chest =)

It would seem that there's a fair bit of RNG then, as I just checked the main post and someone got an adra ban from the Ori o Koiki treasure room, whereas I got 2 sapphires... Maybe some lootables contain random top tier components? One of my games has about 12 more emeralds than another at about the same progress through the game. The other save has about 15 more pyrite though lol. No idea where I got all the emeralds, the pyrite I assume I just got lucky with stores.

Also just got an adra ban (and a black bearl, but meh) in the collapsed coal mine; nameable island west of poko kohara. Hidden in the mining cart by the east wall.

Edit: Maybe higher tier random components drop at higher party levels? Most of the finds I've posted in here have been at lvl16+, also with full upscaling on.

Edited by thundercleese
  • Like 1

It would seem that there's a fair bit of RNG then, as I just checked the main post and someone got an adra ban from the Ori o Koiki treasure room, whereas I got 2 sapphires... Maybe some lootables contain random top tier components? One of my games has about 12 more emeralds than another at about the same progress through the game. The other save has about 15 more pyrite though lol. No idea where I got all the emeralds, the pyrite I assume I just got lucky with stores.

Also just got an adra ban (and a black bearl, but meh) in the collapsed coal mine; nameable island west of poko kohara. Hidden in the mining cart by the east wall.

Edit: Maybe higher tier random components drop at higher party levels? Most of the finds I've posted in here have been at lvl16+, also with full upscaling on.

Yeah some locations are for sure random while others contain the same every time, i will try my best to find out what is random and what is not and put (Random) on em in the OP

• Like 1

Gating important stuff behind the RNG seems like something Obsidian just considers good practice, for some reason.

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

So I've been keeping track of all the greater blights I've fought (all flames sadly), and all but one dropped rubies. The one that didn't drop a ruby dropped an agate. Interestingly, I've killed every single Rathun I can find (all the boats, the bounty and completely cleared the Maw) and not a single one dropped a ruby (as someone suggested they might). Got a lot of agates and primal flames but no rubies.

Edit: Probably RNG, but just got an adra ban while clearing out the pickled eel inn; dropped in the western room.

Edited by thundercleese

The Treasure Trove can spawn emeralds. Probably quite rare, but I just got one.

Yeah Raven told me about it earlier I will put into the OP, ty :)

It's not rare at all, i got 3 emeralds in 3x wait and at the last wait it was even 2x, but I only needed 3. :p

So I presume you get at least one per wait.

It's not rare at all, i got 3 emeralds in 3x wait and at the last wait it was even 2x, but I only needed 3. :p

Very good to know. I just assumed it would be a rare spawn as they seem to be fairly rare otherwise. :lol:

If folks actually want to know about Emeralds, according to the base code, and not counting things I can't see that are buried in level design:

100 percent chance 1-3 will drop from the Engwithan Sentinels in Ukaizo.

10 percent chance a Sand Grub will drop 1 when it dies.

5.56 percent chance 2 will drop when a Void Seer dies.

There's a few more  that are tied behind the loot list I mentioned below that's tied to various critters.  Too much for me to go want to go figure it all out, but there is a small to very small chance of getting Emeralds from the following critters:

Engwithan Hierarch

Engwithan Saint

Desert Wyrm

Desert Lurker

Magma Ooze

Rathuns (Melee only, it appears)

Desert Spider

====

It is also part of the Loot List "Loot_Small_Gems_Desert" which is accessed by A LOT of different things. Far too many for me to go into detail here. The "SceneLevel", whatever that is, has to be at least 5 for an Emerald to be generated.  And even then, it's a 1 in 8 chance.

What's going on at the Treasure Trove is that it will access, among other things, the Loot List "Loot_Small_Gems_Desert" 4 to 6 times and put all of the gems it gets there in a list,  Presuming the scene level (again whatever that is) is at least 5, hitting an Emerald at least once should happen about 50% of the time, I think.

==============

The fun thing is one can also get Emeralds from pickpocketing.  I'm not sure how the "Weight" variable is applied, but perhaps a 1 in 23 chance to hit a 1 in 8 chance. So maybe a .54 percent chance when the "SceneLevel" is high enough. 

Could be less if I am underestimating how the weight variable is applied (there are 14 different things/lists that can be hit and one of them is weighted 10 times more likely to happen than the others which are all weighted at 1). 

Then again there are a LOT of folks who can be pickpocketed in the game, so even if it's a .05 percent chance, there be a few Emeralds out there waiting to be liberated.   :dancing:

NOTE:  Didn't check fully as different folks have different lists when it comes to being pickpocketed.  Still, is possible to pickpocket Emeralds, even if I don't have the percentage number of folks eligible exactly right. :)

Edited by Zap Gun For Hire
  • Like 1

You know, it's interesting.  I just took a long and hard look at what is i think one of THE hardest to find gems in the game: Adra Ban.

I am fairly certain after digging through the code and cross-referencing other examples that Una's Luxuries is supposed to have a chance of selling them.  But damned if I can ever get them to show up in her shop.

Even with a Level 19 character in Act 3.

Adra Ban is supposed to have a chance to proc at SceneLevel 6.  Well I took that same character mentioned above, booked it to Dunnage, and was able to get those Emeralds to proc in the Treasure Trove shop.  And they're tied to SceneLevel 5.

More to the point, I've seen references in the code all the way up to SceneLevel 14.

Which makes me think something very odd is going on here.

It's no secret that a fair number of items require Adra Ban to upgrade, and it's also been apparent that they're rarer than hen's teeth (though they can be dropped by some monsters).

What ***I'm*** wondering is if we've all just presumed that it's supposed to be this way, but instead they were supposed to be able to be bought at Una's Luxuries in Serpent's Crown.

Gonna do a bit more testing and if I think I'm on the right track, gonna head over to the bug forum and flag this.  Worst comes to worst, I'll just be told that no, she never sells high level gems.

(FWIW, Una might also be able to sell Sapphires, Rubies, and Amber)

• Like 1

You know, it's interesting. I just took a long and hard look at what is i think of THE hardest to find gem in the game: Adra Ban.

I am fairly certain after digging through the code and cross-referencing other examples that Una's Luxuries is supposed to have a chance of selling them. But damned if I can ever get them to show up in her shop.

Adra Ban is supposed to have a chance to proc at SceneLevel 6. Well I took that same character mentioned above, booked it to Dunnage, and was able to get those Emeralds to proc in the Treasure Trove shop. And they're tied to SceneLevel 5.

More to the point, I've seen references in the code all the way up to SceneLevel 14.

It's no secret that a fair number of items require Adra Ban to upgrade, and it's also been apparent that they're rarer than hen's teeth (though they can be dropped by some monsters).

What ***I'm*** wondering is if we've all just presumed that it's supposed to be this way, but instead they were supposed to be able to be bought at Una's Luxuries in Serpent's Crown.

Gonna do a bit more testing and if I think I'm on the right track, gonna head over to the bug forum and flag this. Worst comes to worst, I'll just be told that no, she never sells high level gems.

I've spent many many in-game days refreshing and buying from Una and she never sold me any high tier gems. If Treasure Trove sell Emeralds and Black pearls I'd say it's more likely Ambers and Sapphire is sold there also.

• Like 1

You know, it's interesting. I just took a long and hard look at what is i think of THE hardest to find gem in the game: Adra Ban.

I am fairly certain after digging through the code and cross-referencing other examples that Una's Luxuries is supposed to have a chance of selling them. But damned if I can ever get them to show up in her shop.

Adra Ban is supposed to have a chance to proc at SceneLevel 6. Well I took that same character mentioned above, booked it to Dunnage, and was able to get those Emeralds to proc in the Treasure Trove shop. And they're tied to SceneLevel 5.

Gonna do a bit more testing and if I think I'm on the right track, gonna head over to the bug forum and flag this. Worst comes to worst, I'll just be told that no, she never sells high level gems.

I've spent many many in-game days refreshing and buying from Una and she never sold me any high tier gems. If Treasure Trove sell Emeralds and Black pearls I'd say it's more likely Ambers and Sapphire is sold there also.

Store inventories are tied to Loot Lists (some of which are hidden in the actual game code).  Without going into huge detail, if something isn't in a Loot List, it'll never show up in a store's inventory.

What I didn't realize before tonight is that there are some conditionals tied into those Loot Lists and I'm not entirely sure how they're applied.

Anyway, checking the code the Treasure Trove will indeed sell Amber (SceneLevel 6) and Black Pearl (SceneLevel 8 ), but it doesn't appear that Sapphires or Adra Ban is in any of her Loot Lists.  Near as I can tell those only have a theoretical chance of showing up at Una's Luxuries.

And, yes, I was able to get both Amber and Black Pearl at the Treasure Trove on my testing just now.

• Like 2

What about sapphires and rubies? Along with the adra ban these are the only ingredients I wasn't able to buy from merchants.

Theoretically, I am REALLY starting to think they are supposed to be at Una's Luxuries.

====

Sigh.  Alright, copious amount of game code coming up.  I'll put all of the code and most of the discussion about it behind spoiler bars. :)

So remember how I mentioned that store inventories are tied to loot lists?  Well a lot of the gems are in multiple lists, but when it comes to shops (as opposed to critters and chests and whatnot) Adra Ban, Sapphires, and Rubies are ***ONLY*** in the following list:

{
			"$type": "Game.GameData.LootListGameData, Assembly-CSharp",
			"DebugName": "Loot_Small_Gems_Tropical",
			"ID": "a31e5a5c-a2e1-4de0-b9d1-dbb428e5446e",
			"Components": [{
					"$type": "Game.GameData.LootListComponent, Assembly-CSharp",
					"Conditional": {
						"Operator": 0,
						"Components": []
					},
					"OutputChance": 1,
					"OutputMode": "OneRandom",
					"Items": [{
							},
							"MinCount": 1,
							"MaxCount": 1,
							"Weight": 1,
							"ItemID": "125843a1-7b6d-4259-bf82-d186891ef84a",
							"LootListID": "00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000",
							"LockedVisible": "false"
						}, {
										"$type": "OEIFormats.FlowCharts.ConditionalCall, OEIFormats",
										"Data": {
											"FullName": "Boolean IsSceneLevel(Operator, Int32)",
											"Parameters": ["GreaterThan", "1"],
											"Flags": "",
											"UnrealCall": "",
											"FunctionHash": -2076448407,
											"ParameterHash": 612706225
										},
										"Not": false,
										"Operator": 0
									}
								]
							},
							"ItemID": "8fecf40c-f616-43bb-9e73-d1c5a2c0aebf",
						}, {
											"Parameters": ["GreaterThan", "6"],
											"ParameterHash": 612706224
										},
									}
								]
							},
							"ItemID": "44ad3e99-fd00-4649-aafa-40a8bbefd790",
						}, {
											"Parameters": ["GreaterThan", "8"],
											"ParameterHash": 612706234
										},
									}
								]
							},
							"ItemID": "c78ae47d-60ff-4dbc-8aa3-f4778e7c6f0d",
						}, {
											"Parameters": ["GreaterThan", "5"],
											"ParameterHash": 612706221
										},
									}
								]
							},
							"ItemID": "f5ab3a19-47bd-4935-9a27-9c495996fcab",
						}, {
										},
									}
								]
							},
							"ItemID": "88b6a5f3-65c5-49f2-bd8a-49d8bc792645",
						}
					]
				}
			]
		}

There's a lot of gobbledygook there, but what we care about are the following UUIDs:

Adra Ban: "44ad3e99-fd00-4649-aafa-40a8bbefd790",

Ruby:       "f5ab3a19-47bd-4935-9a27-9c495996fcab",

Sapphire: "c78ae47d-60ff-4dbc-8aa3-f4778e7c6f0d",

The upshot of the code is when this Loot List is accessed, there is an equal chance for any of the six gems listed there (the other three being Peridot, Jade, and Amber) to be picked exactly once.  The catch is that SceneLevel business, which I don't know what it governs. 

That loot list in turn is accessed by more than a few things.  Critters. Containers. That sort of thing.  But when it comes to stores, only Una's Luxuries accesses it:

{
			"DebugName": "Store_04_PD_Unas_Luxuries",
			"ID": "7d204d39-7ab8-4a58-929f-37abd5322253",
					},
					"OutputMode": "All",
							},
							"MinCount": 5,
							"MaxCount": 8,
							"ItemID": "ca8b16e2-889b-4afe-95a7-226893d4b970",
						}, {
							},
							"ItemID": "d09fcd41-b2f7-4fa3-909d-3a1bf130120c",
						}, {
							},
							"ItemID": "e28180f6-cc3e-4c11-ab84-e04fe494572d",
						}, {
							},
							"ItemID": "8cd137e7-0513-4bc8-aba5-34eead9a4590",
						}, {
							},
							"MinCount": 3,
							"MaxCount": 5,
							"ItemID": "00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000",
							"LootListID": "b2deaf78-0051-4b69-8da9-2078dbb3bd46",
						}, {
							},
							"LootListID": "f5153417-4f72-4440-a2e5-1cb28315fc75",
						}, {
							},
							"LootListID": "a31e5a5c-a2e1-4de0-b9d1-dbb428e5446e",
						}
					]
				}
			]
		}

This loot list is choosing things differently than the first one.  In this case each of the Loot Lists here will be checked exactly once and a variable amount of items chosen from it.  In the case of the super rare gems, it's the very last one listed, and it's accessed by the game 3 to 5 times.

The upshot of both of the lists above is that Una's Luxuries will, aside from other lists, access the Loot List 'Small Gems Tropical' 3 to 5 times.  

Theoretically, if the Treasure Trove in Dunnage is getting Level 8 gems eventually (Black Pearl), Una's Luxuries should be getting Level 6 (Adra Ban), Sapphire (Level 8 ), Amber, (Level 6), and  Rubies (Level 5).

In my testing though, I was only able to get up to Jade (Level 1) on that list.

The only thing which really makes a lot of sense to me is that the SceneLevel is tied to some sort of level for the Map Zone.  Though why Serpent's Crown is capping out at level 2 and the Radiant Court was accessing Level 8, I don't know.

So, long story short, could be As Designed.  Could also be a bug. 

Gonna go through a few more loot lists tomorrow and see when they trigger the rare stuff as a final compare and contrast.  If I think something is indeed up, I'll go and report it in the bug section. :)

What about sapphires and rubies? Along with the adra ban these are the only ingredients I wasn't able to buy from merchants.

Rubies I usually end up with about 10+ midgame, not sure where off the top of my head but I'm pretty sure a fairly easy to access location has about 6 in a container.

Sapphires are about as rare as adra ban's, never had more than 8 on hand. :(

Edit: Just checked the front page:

Ruby x6 inside Sarcophagus in the small room next to Giant Grub boss during "The Cornett's Call" quest. (Old City)

Plus a few other easy sources.

Edited by thundercleese

Theoretically, I am REALLY starting to think they are supposed to be at Una's Luxuries.

====

Sigh.  Alright, copious amount of game code coming up.  I'll put all of the code and most of the discussion about it behind spoiler bars. :)

So remember how I mentioned that store inventories are tied to loot lists?  Well a lot of the gems are in multiple lists, but when it comes to shops (as opposed to critters and chests and whatnot) Adra Ban, Sapphires, and Rubies are ***ONLY*** in the following list:

{
			"DebugName": "Loot_Small_Gems_Tropical",
			"ID": "a31e5a5c-a2e1-4de0-b9d1-dbb428e5446e",
					},
					"OutputMode": "OneRandom",
							},
							"ItemID": "125843a1-7b6d-4259-bf82-d186891ef84a",
						}, {
											"Parameters": ["GreaterThan", "1"],
											"ParameterHash": 612706225
										},
									}
								]
							},
							"ItemID": "8fecf40c-f616-43bb-9e73-d1c5a2c0aebf",
						}, {
										},
									}
								]
							},
							"ItemID": "44ad3e99-fd00-4649-aafa-40a8bbefd790",
						}, {
											"Parameters": ["GreaterThan", "8"],
											"ParameterHash": 612706234
										},
									}
								]
							},
							"ItemID": "c78ae47d-60ff-4dbc-8aa3-f4778e7c6f0d",
						}, {
											"Parameters": ["GreaterThan", "5"],
											"ParameterHash": 612706221
										},
									}
								]
							},
							"ItemID": "f5ab3a19-47bd-4935-9a27-9c495996fcab",
						}, {
										},
									}
								]
							},
							"ItemID": "88b6a5f3-65c5-49f2-bd8a-49d8bc792645",
						}
					]
				}
			]
		}

There's a lot of gobbledygook there, but what we care about are the following UUIDs:

Adra Ban: "44ad3e99-fd00-4649-aafa-40a8bbefd790",

Ruby:       "f5ab3a19-47bd-4935-9a27-9c495996fcab",

Sapphire: "c78ae47d-60ff-4dbc-8aa3-f4778e7c6f0d",

The upshot of the code is when this Loot List is accessed, there is an equal chance for any of the six gems listed there (the other three being Peridot, Jade, and Amber) to be picked exactly once.  The catch is that SceneLevel business, which I don't know what it governs. 

That loot list in turn is accessed by more than a few things.  Critters. Containers. That sort of thing.  But when it comes to stores, only Una's Luxuries accesses it:

{
			"DebugName": "Store_04_PD_Unas_Luxuries",
			"ID": "7d204d39-7ab8-4a58-929f-37abd5322253",
					},
					"OutputMode": "All",
							},
							"MinCount": 5,
							"MaxCount": 8,
							"ItemID": "ca8b16e2-889b-4afe-95a7-226893d4b970",
						}, {
							},
							"ItemID": "d09fcd41-b2f7-4fa3-909d-3a1bf130120c",
						}, {
							},
							"ItemID": "e28180f6-cc3e-4c11-ab84-e04fe494572d",
						}, {
							},
							"ItemID": "8cd137e7-0513-4bc8-aba5-34eead9a4590",
						}, {
							},
							"LootListID": "b2deaf78-0051-4b69-8da9-2078dbb3bd46",
						}, {
							},
							"LootListID": "f5153417-4f72-4440-a2e5-1cb28315fc75",
						}, {
							},
							"LootListID": "a31e5a5c-a2e1-4de0-b9d1-dbb428e5446e",
						}
					]
				}
			]
		}

This loot list is choosing things differently than the first one.  In this case each of the Loot Lists here will be checked exactly once and a variable amount of items chosen from it.  In the case of the super rare gems, it's the very last one listed, and it's accessed by the game 3 to 5 times.

The upshot of both of the lists above is that Una's Luxuries will, aside from other lists, access the Loot List 'Small Gems Tropical' 3 to 5 times.  

Theoretically, if the Treasure Trove in Dunnage is getting Level 8 gems eventually (Black Pearl), Una's Luxuries should be getting Level 6 (Adra Ban), Sapphire (Level 8 ), Amber, (Level 6), and  Rubies (Level 5).

In my testing though, I was only able to get up to Jade (Level 1) on that list.

The only thing which really makes a lot of sense to me is that the SceneLevel is tied to some sort of level for the Map Zone.  Though why Serpent's Crown is capping out at level 2 and the Radiant Court was accessing Level 8, I don't know.

So, long story short, could be As Designed.  Could also be a bug. 

Gonna go through a few more loot lists tomorrow and see when they trigger the rare stuff as a final compare and contrast.  If I think something is indeed up, I'll go and report it in the bug section. :)

I had thought it must be intended that the legendary gems weren't purchasable, to make that upgrade a bit more special. However the fact that the code has provisions for them to be purchased suggests that either it's a bug, or they were initially intended to be purchasable but cut before release.

In beta 2.0 at least Adra Bans have been dropping off random mobs in Poka Kohara Ruins area (not the ruins but outside). And not just the from the giant. I collected like 3 or 4 of them. That is Huge

I've had them drop from the Greater Sand Blights in the outside area, in version 1.2.2. Could be random chance but I had one from each blight, as well as two from the guardian giant.

In beta 2.0 at least Adra Bans have been dropping off random mobs in Poka Kohara Ruins area (not the ruins but outside). And not just the from the giant. I collected like 3 or 4 of them. That is Huge

I've had them drop from the Greater Sand Blights in the outside area, in version 1.2.2. Could be random chance but I had one from each blight, as well as two from the guardian giant.

It's random when it comes to Greater Sand Blights.

When a Greater Sand Blight dies it will randomly select from four potential LootLists exactly once.

Those LootLists can give a variety of items.  When it comes to Adra Ban:

Two of the LootLists will give an Adra Ban 100% of the time

Two of the LootLists will give an Adra Ban 20% of the time

So 50% of the time, there is 100% chance to get one Adra Ban and 50% of the time there is a 20% chance to get one.  Doing the math, I believe this means there is a 60% to get an Adra Ban when a Greater Sand Blight dies ([100 + 100 + 20 + 20]/400).  

• Like 1

It's random when it comes to Greater Sand Blights.

When a Greater Sand Blight dies it will randomly select from four potential LootLists exactly once.

Those LootLists can give a variety of items.  When it comes to Adra Ban:

Two of the LootLists will give an Adra Ban 100% of the time

Two of the LootLists will give an Adra Ban 20% of the time

So 50% of the time, there is 100% chance to get one Adra Ban and 50% of the time there is a 20% chance to get one.  Doing the math, I believe this means there is a 60% to get an Adra Ban when a Greater Sand Blight dies ([100 + 100 + 20 + 20]/400).  

Good to know, might even be worth save scumming for this. :p

I also got one randomly last night when clearing out Furrante and co. from Dunnage throne room.