My understanding of what I heard in more than one interview with Josh was that there would be some small reactivity that could only be unlocked with an imported save. So far as I can tell, everything can be set in the history creator. What am I missing?

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

I was expecting that importing a save, will have the advantage of:

1. reward talents from non-critical path (Mental Prowess, Flick of the Wrist, Blooded Hunter and Song of the Heaven are the ones I was the most interested in) (and tbh that's the main point I am interested in)

2. tempered Eyeless/Abydon

3. fragments of unique weapons from PoE1. Presumably BoteP/WoY/Abydon Hammer/Bittercut/Rain/Sabra/maybe_something_else, depending on what you had equiped in the imported save.

4. maybe start with fine equipment, or more money. With those funds I had at the end of PoE1 I would surely deposit something at Defiance Bay.

But it seems that those talents aren't granted either way. #2 has no reactivity / importance in Deadfire. And #3 you can get the fragments of WoY/BotEP even without importing (which is not bad per-se, but indeed what's the advantage of importing then?).

Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 1

Played through Deadfire with importing, and started another one with created quest save. I can't think of a reactivity, which appeared in my first playthrough, but couldn't be defined by the creator. If such exist, they indeed would be very very minor.

There isn't supposed to be a power advantage to importing because it's an antiquated design idea and would just result in players fabricating saves while cursing Obsidian.

Of course there's sentimental value to importing a save instead of using the history generator though, even if the same choices are used. It'll feel like a "true continuation".

• Like 1

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

Played through Deadfire with importing, and started another one with created quest save. I can't think of a reactivity, which appeared in my first playthrough, but couldn't be defined by the creator. If such exist, they indeed would be very very minor.

Same. First playthrough was with the history creator (due to the Eder bug). Second was with an imported save. If there was a difference between the two, I can’t tell what it was.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

I was expecting that importing a save, will have the advantage of:

1. reward talents from non-critical path (Mental Prowess, Flick of the Wrist, Blooded Hunter and Song of the Heaven are the ones I was the most interested in) (and tbh that's the main point I am interested in)

2. tempered Eyeless/Abydon

3. fragments of unique weapons from PoE1. Presumably BoteP/WoY/Abydon Hammer/Bittercut/Rain/Sabra/maybe_something_else, depending on what you had equiped in the imported save.

4. maybe start with fine equipment, or more money. With those funds I had at the end of PoE1 I would surely deposit something at Defiance Bay.

But it seems that those talents aren't granted either way. #2 has no reactivity / importance in Deadfire. And #3 you can get the fragments of WoY/BotEP even without importing (which is not bad per-se, but indeed what's the advantage of importing then?).

No, there should be no difference ideally.

Because creating your own history is not only about the critical path.

I imported a save but some things are different (like Eder's ending) so I don't think I'll be able to check for sure if there is anything special about it.

If I play as my other characters from PoE1 I'll retcon things with the editor because one of them didn't take Vela and the other betrayed all the gods. So no chance with other playthroughs too.

Imo they should have added more items from PoE1 in this game. Just say that after Eothas left some people went to the Caed Nua remains and collected all the valuables they could find, before Eder or anyone else could arrive. Then you could find some of these people selling the stuff in the Deadfire (but not everything) and start a quest to recover your items from whoever bought them.

As for the funds in Defiance Bay, I totally agree and thanks to Berath's Blessings you can start the game with more money/better weapons.

• Like 1

sign.jpg