Previous companions start at 0 "affinity"

Why do previous companions start the relationship with you at 0 affinity points? I mean they were there for the entire ordeal. They know you, accepted you adn followed you through death and worse and when they turn up in POEII, relationshipwise they are like "Meh".

So help me understand this relationship thingy. I have to do things they like without knowing what that is and then I can romance them? Is there any other point in increasing this? I have had Aloth at -2 and end game at -1 and I don't even know how that happened. He still happily tags along without complaining about anything. Also some party members don't seem to like eachother, but I don't really understand how this is impactful or if their affinity towards eachother influences this.

I know BGII had relationships as well, so perhaps this is Obsidians way of honoring that tradition. It was implemented poorly in BGII as well. I mean I remember Aerie wanting to have sex with me in Firkraags cave while when I rested before the battle. The only fun one to do was Viconia's romance.

Edited by AeonsLegend
  • Like 1

I think part of it is because they can exist in different states in POE1 depending upon your choices, and they decided not to take that into consideration at all, so everyone starts with a clean slate freindshipwise. Aloth in particular is extremely hard to get approval with as you have pick very specific responses for him to amass approval. There's not much he likes, a lot he dislikes and his dispositions are conflicting. That might also be due to him bieng possibly pro or contra Leaden Key, but ultimately imo the wholöe approval system isn't particularly good, and downright bad in Aloth's case. Unless of course they wanted him to be like that, in which case, good job.

nvAeseu.png

They also start on level 1.

So help me understand this relationship thingy. I have to do things they like without knowing what that is

No?

Eh? I picked up Pallegina, never used her and she is at 0.

I think part of it is because they can exist in different states in POE1 depending upon your choices, and they decided not to take that into consideration at all, so everyone starts with a clean slate freindshipwise. Aloth in particular is extremely hard to get approval with as you have pick very specific responses for him to amass approval. There's not much he likes, a lot he dislikes and his dispositions are conflicting. That might also be due to him bieng possibly pro or contra Leaden Key, but ultimately imo the wholöe approval system isn't particularly good, and downright bad in Aloth's case. Unless of course they wanted him to be like that, in which case, good job.

I see. Kind of annoying then. :)
  • Like 1

They also start on level 1.

So help me understand this relationship thingy. I have to do things they like without knowing what that is

No?

Eh? I picked up Pallegina, never used her and she is at 0.

So?

I was commenting on "do things they like without knowing what that is" while you have the companion personalities described ingame.

On a side note, they act differently when they have - rep. They'll say grumpy stuff when you click on them and lecture you. Haven't played enough with negative approval to know more than that though. They also argue with one another, but I don't think there are any proper conseuqences.

nvAeseu.png

I have had Aloth at -2 and end game at -1 and I don't even know how that happened. He still happily tags along without complaining about anything.

He does complain, first when he hits -1 and then again at -2. He actually gives you a rather big "Stop, you're becoming like Thaos!" speech. If this didn't happen to you, it must have been a bug. And they all begin to sound really annoyed when you click on their portraits or try to talk to them on negative rep.

But there is nothing beyond that, at least right now. I think we've been promised some sort of loyalty check in the third dlc?

On a side note, they act differently when they have - rep. They'll say grumpy stuff when you click on them and lecture you. Haven't played enough with negative approval to know more than that though. They also argue with one another, but I don't think there are any proper conseuqences.

So kinda like some other game..well..DAO was like that . When you target companion to do a task like Leliana open this chest..and her approval isn't high..they go 'Sigh..let me see' . 

Kinda cool when you think about it  :yes:

• Like 1
I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

So kinda like some other game..well..DAO was like that . When you target companion to do a task like Leliana open this chest..and her approval isn't high..they go 'Sigh..let me see' . Kinda cool when you think about it  :yes:

Yeah. In DAO they all start out grumpy by default lol. OTOH Zevran calls you "amore" with high friendship even if you aren't dating him and haven't been ninjamanced. Even that fairly simple system was buggy as hell.

nvAeseu.png

That sounds ominous. I am dreading this if they haven't fixed Aloth by then.

Me too. Poor Aloth, like having him die or commit suicide in the ending slides where he is on his own isn't enough.

OTOH Zevran calls you "amore" with high friendship even if you aren't dating him and haven't been ninjamanced. Even that fairly simple system was buggy as hell.

Alistair was also guilty of that. Sometimes he would say "Yes my love?" when you click on him even if you're just friends. Bugs, bugs everywhere.

Aloth in particular is extremely hard to get approval with as you have pick very specific responses for him to amass approval.

Really? I'm pretty sure I hit +2 with him like ... 20 minutes out of Port Maje. Pretty much by accident.

Edited by gkathellar
  • Like 1

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

Aloth in particular is extremely hard to get approval with as you have pick very specific responses for him to amass approval.

Really? I'm pretty sure I hit +2 with him like ... 20 minutes out of Port Maje. Pretty much by accident.

Then your character was the type he (currently exclusively) likes, but idk how you did it that fast. I've played a character that reloaded every time he disapproved and stayed at 0 the entire game, and even the one that has managed to get to +2 had more or less finished Neketaka by the time it happened.

nvAeseu.png

Then your character was the type he (currently exclusively) likes, but idk how you did it that fast. I've played a character that reloaded every time he disapproved and stayed at 0 the entire game, and even the one that has managed to get to +2 had more or less finished Neketaka by the time it happened.

Mm, I double checked, and I seem to have been mistaken. Only +1. Sorry about that - somehow I confused getting Xoti to +2 with getting Aloth to +2.

Those are ... somewhat different.

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.