Hello Everyone,

This is a tongue-in-cheek build I have thought of while looking at some of the excellent suggestions here on the forum.

it all started when i thought of re-creating a very famous build (Kaze no Kama) from one of my most favorite games of all time (Neverwinter Nights 2). later on somehow it got heavily influenced by a certain Comic character which has 2 "modes": "Smart guy"/"Beast" :grin:

by utilizing the Monk's ability Duality of Mortal Presence you can switch between "Smart Guy" (Intellect mode) to "Beast" (Constitution). using Berath's Blessing can get you to the ability cap of 35 in Might, as well as 30 Constitution in "Beast Mode" OR 35 Intellect in "Smart Guy" mode.

its a sort of a glass cannon - almost no defensive abilities but very offensive. will need constant support and healing from his party members.

even from RP perspective - playing a disciplined class (Monk) combined with a crazy Berserker enhance this "duality" feeling

Classes:

Monk (Helwalker)/Barbarian (Berserker)

the goal here is to get 10 might from Helwalker. I selected Berserker because it fits the theme and has some incredible offensive bonuses.

Race and Culture:

Hearth Orlan - you have to be Tiny. :lol:

also the 10% hit-to-crit is good for the build.

Old Vallia - for the +1 int bonus.

Attributes:

Base / (Berath's blessing) / End game

Might: 15 (17) / 33 (15 + 1 (gift from the machine legacy) + 2 (Gatecrashers)  + 10 (Helwalker wounds) + 5 (Frenzy)) (35 with Berath's Blessing)

Constitution: 15 (17) / 28 (15 + 2 (the undying burden) + 1 (Baubles of the Fin) + 10 (Duality of Mortal Presence Constitution) (30 with Berath's Blessing)

Dexterity: 5 (7) / 6 (+ 1 Boots of stone) ( 8 with Berath's Blessing)

Perception: 20 (22) / 21 (+ 1 Kuaru's Prize) ( 23 with Berath's Blessing ) 

Intellect: 18 (20) /  33 (18 + 1 Old Valia + 1 (Baubles of the Fin) + 1 (Kuaru's Prize) + 1 (Grieving Mother's effigy legacy) + 1 (stat potion from cave) +10 (Duality of Mortal Presence Constitution) (35 with Berath's Blessing)

Resolve: 4 (6) / 6 ( +2 Boots of Stone) ( 8 with Berath's Blessing)

the low dex is due to its dex not really needed because of the -Recovery items and talents you have

Abilities:

initial - Swift Strikes (Monk) / Barbarian (Frenzy)

PL 1:

Lesser wounds (Monk)

Blooded (Barbarian)

PL 2:

Two Weapon Style (Monk) / Accurate Carnage (Barbarian)

Barbaric Blow (Barbarian)

Dance of Death (Monk)

PL 3:

Swift Flurry (Monk) / Bloodlust (Barbarian)

One Stands Alone (Barbarian)

Bloody Slaughter (Barbarian)

PL 4:

Duality of Mortal Presence (Monk) / Blood Frenzy (Barbarian)

Enduring Dance (Monk)

Rooting Pain (Monk)

PL 5:

Uncanny Luck (Monk) / Crushing blow (Barbarian)

Interrupting Blows (Barbarian)

Enervating Blows (Monk)

PL 6:

Iron wheel (Monk) / Improved Critical (Barbarian)

Turning Wheel (Monk)

Leap (Barbarian)

PL 7:

Heartbeat Drumming (Monk) / Blood Storm (Barbarian)

Blood Thirst (Barbarian)

as you can see some of the abilities are actually on a lower PL. the reason is that I usually plan my builds per character level but I didn't want to detail it as much. these abilities focus on hit-on-crit and offensive capabilities. there are also -recovery on crit abilities.

gameplay should be very simple -Buff yourself with Frenzy and swift flurry, leap into a group of enemies and smash them :)

Gear:

Weapon 1 - Duskfall (Sword)

Weapon 2 - Griffin's blade (Sword) enchanted with hound speed

Head - Fair Favor

Ring 1 - Voidward

Ring 2 - Kuaru's Prize

Armor - Devil of Caroc Breastplate (enchanted for heal on Crit and intellectual affliction resistance)

Boots - Boots of Stone

Hands - Gatecrashers

Belt - the Undying Burden

Amulet - Baubles of the Fin

basically everything that works toward crit-chance, your stat increase and -recovery

the int. affliction resistance should remove that pesky Confused from your frenzy if i understand correctly

that's it. any comment or (constructive) criticism will be most welcome.

Belegc

• Like 1

I'm playing a similar character. Also a Heart Orlan Berserker/Helwalker.

Little less base Might, more Con and Dex.

With Helwalker increased damage taken, Frenzy Deflection penalty and low resolve, he certainly requires party support, especially early on.

But after a few levels and few items he actually can become rather tough with all that health. It definitely pays to stack Armor on him. Frenzy gives +2 AR, I've also picked Thick Skinned for another +1. Being focused by ranged fire is sometimes a problem, so I'm using the belt that casts woodskin after being crit: another +5 Pierce AR means my Barb shrugs off most piercing damage.

Regarding critique:

I think I'm missing Brute Force in your build. Would fit thematically :) And should be rather good.

I don't think I would choose Crushing Blow. I'd prefer to spam the Blow against weakened targets with Barbaric Smash. Especially when you're dual wielding and additionally stacking multiple speed bonuses (Frenzy, Bloodlust, Swift Strikes), your recovery should be short anyways. And you're eventually getting Blood Thirst too...

Myself, I went two-handed for aoe capability. After PoE1 that's what Barbarians should specialize in for me. Cool thing is that multi-hit weapons, like Whispers of the Endless Paths, apply special attacks (Barbaric Blow, Torment's Reach, Force of Anguish) to each attack target (twice to primary target, at least in case of Whispers).

Also going for Lightning Fists to have the 30% lash, more reliable vs high defense targets. and avoid endless attack cheese vs easier mobs (as well as possible nerf hammer). Also for Spirit frenzy for maximum CC, but here both choices should be good.

Edited by Haplok
  • Like 1

I'm playing a similar character. Also a Heart Orlan Berserker/Helwalker.

Little less base Might, more Con and Dex.

With Helwalker increased damage taken, Frenzy Deflection penalty and low resolve, he certainly requires party support, especially early on.

But after a few levels and few items he actually can become rather tough with all that health. It definitely pays to stack Armor on him. Frenzy gives +2 AR, I've also picked Thick Skinned for another +1. Being focused by ranged fire is sometimes a problem, so I'm using the belt that casts woodskin after being crit: another +5 Pierce AR means my Barb shrugs off most piercing damage.

Regarding critique:

I think I'm missing Brute Force in your build. Would fit thematically :) And should be rather good.

I don't think I would choose Crushing Blow. I'd prefer to spam the Blow against weakened targets with Barbaric Smash. Especially when you're dual wielding and additionally stacking multiple speed bonuses (Frenzy, Bloodlust, Swift Strikes), your recovery should be short anyways. And you're eventually getting Blood Thirst too...

Myself, I went two-handed for aoe capability. After PoE1 that's what Barbarians should specialize in for me. Cool thing is that multi-hit weapons, like Whispers of the Endless Paths, apply special attacks (Barbaric Blow, Torment's Reach, Force of Anguish) to each attack target (twice to primary target, at least in case of Whispers).

Also going for Lightning Fists to have the 30% lash, more reliable vs high defense targets. and avoid endless attack cheese vs easier mobs (as well as possible nerf hammer). Also for Spirit frenzy for maximum CC, but here both choices should be good.

thank you for your comments!

you are right about crushing blow, but it means i have to wait until level 19 to get the same effect.

thick skinned seems to me like its a bit too little of a bonus to spend an ability point on..

Brute force is also a good suggestion. like you,  I am finding that ranged enemies (especially in ship combat) can cause a lot of pain.

for cloak i thought about Three Trolls Stitched to help with the healing.

I do not really like two-handed weapons in Deadfire. their recovery time is simply too long for me.

maybe using Wahai Pōraga (should be hilarious) or Sanguine Great Sword will be good for your character as well.

Belegc

thank you for your comments!

you are right about crushing blow, but it means i have to wait until level 19 to get the same effect.

thick skinned seems to me like its a bit too little of a bonus to spend an ability point on..

Brute force is also a good suggestion. like you,  I am finding that ranged enemies (especially in ship combat) can cause a lot of pain.

for cloak i thought about Three Trolls Stitched to help with the healing.

I do not really like two-handed weapons in Deadfire. their recovery time is simply too long for me.

maybe using Wahai Pōraga (should be hilarious) or Sanguine Great Sword will be good for your character as well.

Belegc

Well, I'm finding that with all the speed bonuses stacked, I'm attacking rather fast even without Blood Thirst/Crushing Blow. Of course, I did start with 15 Dex (20 with Lightning Flurry).

And yeah, I do plan to try Wahai Poraga out, when I find it. Sanguine Greatsword looks pretty nice for 1vs1.. then again, when fighting strong enemies, Lord Darryn's Voulge serves me well so far.

Edited by Haplok

Hi - should this go into the build list?

If yes I need some more info:

- what difficulty?

- solo/Non-Solo?

- short description

Forgive me Boeroer, i didn't mean to give you extra work....

Difficulty - with the new changes to Veteran and POTD I would say Classic (maybe better players than me can play this on higher difficulties)

Non-Solo

Description - a Tiny AOE damage dealer with the goal of maximizing Might and Intellect or Constitution

thank you!

Belegc

Speaking of Sanguine Greatsword—is it supposed to look practically transparent? That's what its blade looks like for me, which is weird.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus