First off, I don't feel guilty nor do I regret anything. It's not so much that it doesn't hurt to be around her. It tends to be very, very easy for us both, even after all the drama. Though sometimes, it is awkward, which is never pleasant obviously. It's messed up.
(Note: I still want to protect the anonymity of the people in question, so The Girl = the girl I like, The Girlfriend = the friend of The Girl that knows what's up, and my roommate is well, my roommate haha)
On the advice of The Girlfriend at the end of September, The Girl told me she did not want to be contacted again by me. However, the very next day I got an invitation from her (part of a mass mailing) to come to the Halloween party she was hosting. Given the whole "don't contact me again" it seemed weird. My roommate knows about the situation since I needed somebody other than her to talk to about how I was feeling, and he said it seemed weird too. So The Girlfriend and my roommate were talking, and the friend told my roommate that I was invited because she didn't want people to ask questions (which is bullllllllllll**** and certainly not something I care about maintaining a faux friendship for). Shortly afterwards, a mutual friend invited us (and others, but it ended up just being the 3 of us) to a horror movie marathon weekend. I know The Girl was worried it'd be weird, based on her talking to my roommate. Shortly after that, I got an invitation from The Girl and the mutual friend that started the horror movie marathon idea, to have a Bruce Campbell movie marathon. Making me go "What. The. ****?" My roommate also concurred, and set The Girl an email asking what was up, because the roommate and I figured she was sending mixed signals.
So at this point, The Girl says that she invites me out to stuff too because I still deserve to have fun too. I literally flip a coin as to whether or not I go to the Bruce Campbell day (I already agreed to go to Deadmonton, the horror marathon, because it sounded awesome). Bruce Campbell day was fine, though we didn't really say a word. My roommate and I planned to get there after the dinner invitation, to reduce on awkwardness, but they ended up being delayed so we ended up having to join them for dinner after all. (This was funny because the husband asked me if I would like I hamburger, to which I said "No, I already ate" and he asked "are you sure?" to which she chimed in "He said no") In any case, dinner was quiet for me (enough other people there to talk though), and the evening of movie watching was fine and not uncomfortable.
The horror movie marathon was really good. It was 3 days, and day 1 and day 3 was just The Girl, myself, and the mutual friend. Day 2 my roommate and the husband also came along. Day 3 was a bit strange because The Girl was wearing an outfit I had previously said she looked good in, and was also wearing the subtle purple eye liner that I thought looked fantastic on her. Given it was just me, her, and the mutual friend (who is engaged), I was surprised. Though the days it was just the three of us, well all got along really well and had a great time. It wasn't painful or awkward at all.
The comes Halloween. A bigger group, and from what I can tell was the biggest difference...The Girlfriend was in attendance. Perhaps it's just coincidence, but outside of a few moments where we made eye contact, The Girl and I did not interact at all, and she seemed to be putting in a concerted effort to avoid me. My conclusion: The Girlfriend told her to keep distance from me, so in the presence of The Girlfriend...she does. I also think this because I know that The Girl and The Girlfriend had some fights shortly after the whole "don't talk to me again" incident, my assumption being that The Girlfriend was giving The Girl crap about inviting me to movie nights and providing situations to see me.
So my situation: I find it easy to be comfortable around her if I just let go and be myself. However, this is also the problem, because it keeps me close to her and I doubt I'll ever really be able to move on. Sooooo, I look to create space for myself, to move on. I haven't really been a jerk to her or anything, so I don't know if I am burning a bridge with her.
I guess in an email to my roommate, The Girl commented that she said the idea of not being friends with me was awful for her, and that she cried when she read the last email from me (basically an "Okay, if that is what you would like" in response to her saying we shouldn't be friends) and that she couldn't talk to me because she'd just breakdown). Now I don't think The Girlfriend is bad, and doesn't like me (in fact we get along fine). But I am guessing that she is supporting her friend's decision, and kicking The Girl's ass when she starts to slip (hence why they have had some fights). My roommate thinks that The Girl wants to have her cake and eat it too, in that choosing me would guarantee losing contact with husband. Choosing husband means there's a chance of having husband and me in her life (even if it's just me as a friend).
I'd like to remain friends, but I don't know if that's possible. Not that I don't want to be friends, but rather that I don't know if I'll be able to be in a situation where I'll be okay with just being friends, rather than wanting the friendship to be a part of a deeper relationship.
I'll take the talking about games and giving people hell as a compliment haha. Though my sleeping problem I think is mostly Left 4 Dead related, rather than woman issues haha. I stayed up too late Friday night and it totally buggered my sleep schedule!