So is this going to be closer to IW:D or BG?

A combination of the two? Icewind was far more combat oriented and allowed you to really get into the nuts and bolts of the engines combat. Baldurs Gate was a bit more open and exploration focused. Is this a cross of the two? Either way it looks GREAT!

UI and Art Style: IWD1 & 2

Gameplay: BG2 mix of dialogue, exploration and combat. Encounters - don't know.

Writing/Story: PS:T with a more BG style scope

Edited by Sensuki
  • Like 3

IWD2 UI sadly enough.

But fortunately, yes, it's aiming to be more like Baldur's Gate II than IWD.

• Like 1

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Honestly, I could care less about the gameplay. I backed a possible successor to PS:T, KOTOR2, and Mask of the Betrayer. I expect wierdness and intellectual depth and a story that's actually about something. You can do what you want with the gameplay.

Honestly, I could care less about the gameplay. I backed a possible successor to PS:T, KOTOR2, and Mask of the Betrayer. I expect wierdness and intellectual depth and a story that's actually about something. You can do what you want with the gameplay.

I think new Torment: Numenera is going to be that, PoE is supposed to more like Baldur's Gate but with more free form story. 

Edited by archangel979

I think new Torment: Numenera is going to be that, PoE is supposed to more like Baldur's Gate but with more free form story. 

You sure? With Avellone and Zeits writing it?

@Arouet: here's the vision for P:E:

"Eternity will take the central hero, memorable companions and the epic exploration of Baldur’s Gate, add in the fun, intense combat and dungeon diving of Icewind Dale, and tie it all together with the emotional writing and mature thematic exploration of Planescape: Torment."

Combat and dungeon diving are one-third of that vision. Josh has said on multiple occasions that the game is going to be heavily combat-focused. It's not going to be an adventure game in RPG clothing (like PS:T or KOTOR2). Ziets and Avellone aren't lead writers; they're doing areas and companions; Josh has overall control of the lore and story. I.e., this is very much Josh's baby, not MCA's or Ziets's.

I have extremely high hopes for the writing; what we know about the coherence of the lore has had me whooping with joy already. We also know there's a personal angle to the story, and that there's a lot of text in the game. So that's all good. But combat is still going to be the main gameplay mechanic. I'm not sure how enjoyable it's going to be if you just want to click past it, although with the difficulty options and the console I'm sure it'll be possible. But a big, big part of the effort will have gone to making good combat.

• Like 2

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

You have very nice taste of games, indeed. I even had that very avatar long ago! :)

But as PrimeJunta said, this will be a slightly different game, and I think Torment: Numenera will be right up your alley.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Just for accuracy. George Ziets did some high-level work on the narrative, area concepts and character conceps among other things (such as pantheons) in the pre-production phase.

Contrary to popular belief, Chris Avellone has a fairly small role on this project. He's writing two companions and he's helped with "narrative production" providing guidelines and critiques for the story and the companion design documents. Apparently he isn't doing any other dialogue but his companions. He's also doing a novella.

The ball is largely in Eric Fenstermaker, Carrie Patel and Matt McLean's court.

• Like 4

A combination of the two? Icewind was far more combat oriented and allowed you to really get into the nuts and bolts of the engines combat. Baldurs Gate was a bit more open and exploration focused. Is this a cross of the two? Either way it looks GREAT!

Wow you are lacking ambition with only those choices, I am hoping for it to be more like DA 2....who is with me !!!!!

;)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

DA 2 get's too much hate. No where near as good as most of the games mentioned here but not bad. It was just "good". Unfortunately that is not good enough.

I honestly believe DA2 woulda gotten alot of praise and nowhere near the backlash....if it was a new ip. Being the "sequal" to origins....its deserved.

• Like 1

DA 2 get's too much hate. No where near as good as most of the games mentioned here but not bad. It was just "good". Unfortunately that is not good enough.

If it was a new IP it would have been even worse as people would not buy it and play it because of their love for DA:O. Then it would just be a subpar RPG and word of its lack of quality would go around soon and sales would plummet. 

Wow you are lacking ambition with only those choices, I am hoping for it to be more like DA 2....who is with me !!!!!

;)

Please ... NOT!

DA II was one of the biggest gaming disappointments I had (only topped by X:Rebirth). I wanted to like it and first impression was not too bad, but I got bored every time I tried after one third of the game.

Edited by Cedeos
  • Like 1