GTX 780 Out Now

Bokishi

So will that shunt down the price of other cards?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

The GTX780 itself won't, it's at a new price point where no product was before, so no adjustments necessary. The upcoming other cards in the 7xx line will, if only because of the new numbering. i.e. the 770 will almost certainly be the same as the old 680, so the 680 might see minor cuts to match and maybe slightly beat the 770.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

There is the ebay effect, though. Some enthusiasts sporting 580s and 680s might be offloading them at bargain prices in order to replace them with the 780.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Wait for the Radeon 8970 too. AMD usually places itself slightly lower in price (unless they manage a huge performance advantage) and Nvidia usually follows (albeit by introducing slightly tweaked models of existing cards under new names).

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-HD-8970-vs-GeForce-GTX-780

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

AMD's successor hasn't even been mentioned outside of unsubstantiated rumours, so I wouldn't have thought so. GTX7xx is barely able to be called a refresh, it's just an introduction of one new product (which is a cut-down version of an existing product) coupled with a general renaming of the rest of their existing product line to incorporate that new product. In the process, they've taken a bit of an advantage of the fact the 6xx series left a bit of performance on the table with their low TDPs and therefore bumped up the clock speeds a little to match the power consumption of AMD. AMD, already being at the soft limit of power consumption with their top product, can't really do the same.

The 770 is a 680 overclocked just high enough to match the 7970GE, in what presumably is a very deliberate move. It's gone from 195W to 230W by doing so, therefore sacrificing the power efficiency card they had over AMD, but also smartly undercutting the price point a little.

What we have then is a holding pattern. Outside of Titan and its 780 derivative, the mainstream market now is basically a dead tie at almost all price points. I suspect both vendors will be okay with that situation until both are ready to say more about their genuine next-gen products, probably Q1 next year.

Edited by Humanoid
  • Like 2

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Interesting. i wonder if the same holds true in other hardware markets?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.