Visually Pleasing Conversation/Description System

Since PE is take some inspiration from Planescape Torment, I would hope Obsidian really tunes its' conversation/description and lore system UI well. One of the things that I really got upset with PST was the text was a bit unreadable at times because the fonts were to small.

So, my simple suggestion is:

1. Make sure that there is an option to adjust the font size of the conversation system, inventory description, lore books etc. (anything with a some amount of written text). Some of us are no longer young-un's anymore and having to squint and read on a large monitor is not very pleasing, to say the least.

2. Color coding when different characters are talking. I AM NOT TALKING about Mass Effect Paragon BLUE and Renegade RED here. What I am saying is when there's a multi-threaded conversation between the PC and his companions, things can get a bit confusing. Color coding between different characters conversations could make things a bit less confusing. For instance:

PC: I don't think it's right to just leave him there.

Companion 1: Come on. Let's just leave him. He's not going to make it, we have to hurry.

Companion 2: We can't just let a person die without even trying.

PC: Let's see what we can do for him first.

3. If there's any codex or in-game books, could we have some form of control over the font size. The Dragon Age: Origins codex is a typical example of this annoyance. It's great to read but the font size is so darn small, I have to squint to actually read it.

4. Font used and Background Color

Some fonts are hard to read. Please don't use stylish fonts to evoke a fantasy feel if it's at the expense of readability. Or allow us the option to change to a few different fonts. And please don't use a grey colored font against a chocolate background ... The Dragon Age Origins codex had something like this and it made reading near darn impossible. :banghead:

• Like 5

Bigger screens and higher resolutions being a norm on PCs should hopefully help the developers take better advantage of the user interface ... plus not having to simultaneously cater to the console crowd.

I like the idea of color coding speakers within text blocks and having slightly larger fonts to improve readability for dialogue and lore. Hopefully the devs take note or are already thinking about this kind of thing.

• Like 1

Since the action (probably) stops while in conversation, I'd like to see a big discussion window that covers just about the whole screen.

Big enough text, and if companions pipe in I could use their face icons there saying what they're saying (speech bubbles?).

So not:

Feargus: Lets leev teh boor sod behind.

but:

////////

O , O

____ : Lets leev teh boor sod behind.

Since the action (probably) stops while in conversation, I'd like to see a big discussion window that covers just about the whole screen.

Big enough text, and if companions pipe in I could use their face icons there saying what they're saying (speech bubbles?).

So not:

Feargus: Lets leev teh boor sod behind.

but:

////////

O , O

____ : Lets leev teh boor sod behind.

I wouldn't mind, but it might be distracting for some players. A whole screen so that I can easily read on my monitor with NPC potraits to differentiate the characters speaking... Two thumbs up. :biggrin:

Edited by agewisdom

I am not keen of varying colour text, it is a bit irritating.

I would be fine for an option in the games settings to select NPC text colours though, then everyone would be happy.

Having it as an option would be equally great. I'm sometimes somewhat more irritated at a huge block of text conversation Planescape Torment style, where you sometimes get lost between who's saying what, especially when there's three or more characters discussing something.

Agree. This should have top priority if the game becomes even close to as text-heavy as PST. Very few people really like reading long blocks of text off the screen. Most people will rather print a PDF and read it "offline". Since that is obviously not an option in a game, it would be great if extra care was taken to make the reading as easy on the eyes and as convenient as possible.

I'd prefer to just see a minimal portrait next to each line. Colors would be awkward, if not garish.

• Like 2
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

A minimal portrait or a name tag that's typographically set apart would be fine with me (and spacing between multiple dialogue options)--keep in mind that you shouldn't use solely colors to distinguish things since a substantial population are color-blind.

• Like 2

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

Or they could go for the JRPG route and put mid shots drawings of their characters that toggle between expressions, its a nice little visual hook for people that get tired of scrolling down through mountains of text.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Having ability to adjust font and especially font size sounds great. Also I'd prefer ability to do it from config file, rather then from within the game.

Not sure about colors and portraits, but having some type of spacer between different characters lines sounds good.

With regards to a large block of text during conversations with multiple parties, I am open to some reasonable form of differentiation. Like some of you have suggested, it could be:

1. Proper spacing;

2. Character potraits;

3. Maybe some subtle font colors, if garish colors are too disturbing for some...

Something, anything - so long as it achieves the objective of:

(a) breaking up the big wall of text; and

(b) allows us to see quickly, who is saying what.

Edited by agewisdom