Pacifist mouse-clicks

skizelo

Question

I can't attack! In combat when I mouse over an enemy to to hit them, the game instead gives an order to move to that location. When I'm trying to cast a spell (or throw a grenade or use a targeted ability) it eats the click totally. I believe this is different from the "mouseclicks not registering" bug in the known issues thread, as the clicks are otherwise responsive. But the only way I can fight is to turn the AI on and just let them mill around.

I caused this midway through the game by trying to pre-empt an "[attack]" dialogue prompt by binding the attack key to A (as in default PoE1), then clicking on the currently-friendly npc. Rather than starting combat, nothing happened, and then later when I gave up and started combat through dialogue, I couldn't control anything. Sadly I don't have a savefile of that map because I hoped it was a fluke that would reset itself, and I'm playing a stealthy-talky character so I'd gone over the autosave before I knew it was persistent.

I'm uploading a savefile which should replicate the issue, as it's persisted over a few restarts and several map screens. I hope unzipped google drive is ok.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fBUenFHOxk9hY_ghcD5BoeKv3nmdObJg

9 answers to this question

Hello skizelo,

Sorry to hear you are having issues issuing commands in the game :( Since you think its different from the mouse click issue Ill bug this up separately, and thank you for providing your save. If you could, would you be able to provide your .log file as well? Any other information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Caleb

I like big bugs and I cannot lie...

Sure, no problem. Here's the output log

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AABit55fTdjp9g7tEX0RnYn-64N9i7St

Assuming that's a log of my latest session, I think that has all the problems - both the eaten clicks when trying to cast a fireball, and the transformed clicks when trying to attack. I can't think of anything I've not described already. I first noticed it on the water-logged street on the first island. Now that I think of it, it might predate the attempted ambush because something felt odd fighting the looters before.

A reinstall didn't fix it, but resetting keybindings to default did. I can attack by clicking on enemies, use abilities, and so forth. I've not tried binding attack to other keys, but I hope it works for you too spores.

Yes I believe so. That bug seems to be the indiscriminate eating of clicks. This only ate a few specific clicks, and also transformed others. I could select a save file, select a character, select an ability, cancel out of that ability with no problem. But I couldn't fire that ability. There's also the issue of refusing to attack: Clicking on an enemy would still register as a click, but instead of for an attack, it was to move to the location the enemy was standing on. And again, those "move to" clicks registered fine for me.

Yes I believe so. That bug seems to be the indiscriminate eating of clicks. This only ate a few specific clicks, and also transformed others. I could select a save file, select a character, select an ability, cancel out of that ability with no problem. But I couldn't fire that ability. There's also the issue of refusing to attack: Clicking on an enemy would still register as a click, but instead of for an attack, it was to move to the location the enemy was standing on. And again, those "move to" clicks registered fine for me.

Glad to not be the only one with that problem because that increases the chances for it to be fixed! Haven't tried the patch yet though.