Hey all!  I read that we would have a choice of story companions to make them single or multi classed, which is awesome.  However my question is are we able to select subclasses for them as well?  For example I wanted to make Eder as an Unbroken/Streetfighter so he would be super tanky but still get damage benefits.

I have an image that I made with the companion subclass info. It's in the companion info thread in general discussion.

Offhand I can tell you Eder gets no subclass options.

So, do you know that/if some companions are allowed subclasses while others are not?

Where does your intelligence (the fbi/cia form of the word) come from?

Companions have locked subclasses, you can't spec them out like you can a mercenary.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

Companions have locked subclasses, you can't spec them out like you can a mercenary.

Do we know this for certain? I know that some companions definitely do (Xoti's unique Priest and Monk subclasses, Pallegina's unique Paladin order etc.) but in the cases where no subclass has been specified (Edér for example) has it been stated that they won't be allowed to take one?

I have an image that I made with the companion subclass info. It's in the companion info thread in general discussion.

So, do you know that/if some companions are allowed subclasses while others are not?

No need for the snark mate, I got the info from Josh Sawyer who's making the game

Do we know this for certain? I know that some companions definitely do (Xoti's unique Priest and Monk subclasses, Pallegina's unique Paladin order etc.) but in the cases where no subclass has been specified (Edér for example) has it been stated that they won't be allowed to take one?

Yes, Sawyer confirmed it

• Like 1

So, do you know that/if some companions are allowed subclasses while others are not?

No need for the snark mate, I got the info from Josh Sawyer who's making the game

I didn't intend to sound "snarky", I just was curious as to the source of your information (hence the gentle "intelligence (the fbi/cia form of the word)" usage).

Peace

Edited by Faustus2

Yeah Josh said that on Tumblr. But it was some time ago - so maybe one or two things changed, but I don't think so. I still think it's a pity. Several subclasses would have caused no trouble. For example it doesn't matter much for Edér if he's a vanilla rogue or a Streetfighter. Preventing him from becoming an Assassin or Trickster I can understand though: just doesn't fit his character. With his Fighter part I'd say it wouldn't matter at all which subclass you'd pick - they would all be fine.

Same with Aloth. Streetfighter and Assassin might be far fetched, but Trickster? Would fit.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Yeah here's one of the Tumblr posts:

https://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/165191293231/hi-josh-i-was-wodnering-if-all-companions-will

Seems needlessly limiting. Are they worried about balance issues? 

Wonder how Serafen will be a dual wielding gun barb with just the base class....

Knowing Sawyer its less about balance and more about tone.  It would harm Josh's delicate sensibilities if we were given the option to make Eder an Assassin.

Semi-joking aside, Sawyer claimed there was something which made companions having subclasses available a complex thing to do mechanically, but he didn't go into detail.

Edited by Yosharian