I just had an interesting conversation with Hiravias:

Korezak: "Aren't most orlans in Eir Glanfath wild?"

Hiravias: "Wild?!" His voice raises an octave in indignation. "Yes, I suppose all of us were a bit WILD as my tribe was migratory and we didn't live in permanent houses."

Hiravias: "But I understand what you're trying to ask... yes, a slight plurality of Glanfathan orlans have forest plumage. Growing up with meadow plumage, I was assumed to be weaker than others my age."

Hiravias: "The huntmaster of my tribe only chose apprentices from the forested kin, or rather-" Hiravias mockingly clears his throats "-WILD orlans, as they're called amongst slave-owning bigots... as well as bigots too broke to own slaves..."

I never really looked at it that way, but Hiravias' indignation indicates the term wild is seen as racist. And come to think of it, it would be neat though perhaps needlessly complicated to have the race designation change when you play as an orlan (unless you have a Slave background, then you'd have the normal outsider term).

Just a random thought.

Edited by Tagaziel
  • Like 7

I think they didn't because Meadow Humans and Wood Elves already exist, and for whatever reason they wanted to avoid similar first descriptors for races.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I think they didn't because Meadow Humans and Wood Elves already exist, and for whatever reason they wanted to avoid similar first descriptors for races.

I'm guessing this happened first, then Hiravias' in-world take on it was written.

Nah, Orlans should be subject to racism for being so pathetic.

Lol, funny cause they make great dragon tanks as Paladins or another other high HP/END class (Wild) but I cant stand to finish a play through with them.

Have gun will travel.

Such explicit Orlan racism in this thread. The correct level of Orlan racism is Eder level, where you want to pet their cute fuzzy little heads (because they're basically cats).

lol i like them! Hiravious is one if not my most favorite party member.  I just think its weird when they are frontline tanks but ya it can be done of course!  And Wild Orlan's Defiant Resolve is the best racial for a Dragon tank!  I have to try and finish a play though with one.  Its like Gnome Warriors they just dont have the weight!

LOL I say that and I playing a game where fireballs are being conjured.  I know so retarded.  

That being said I like Orlans :)

PS I fall to the old D and D tropes of small races not being warriors etc.  I am a sucker for it do not know why.  I like race restrictions, I am not saying their should be any here!  POE is not old D and D (and I like POE better)...new D and D lets you be a half orc Paladin (I think, I know the race restrictions are really loose) so It is doing the same as POE. :p

Edited by Torm51

Have gun will travel.