Wow, jump the gun on that clickbaity title much?

As useful as an open beta can be, it runs into the problem of most people having no idea how beta or playtesting actually work.

An open beta is immensely useful, but not for the reasons most gamers think open betas are used for. Player feedback, especially from fans who like to be backseat devs, is entirely useless as they generally suffer from tunnel vision and a beta is generally several builds behind anyway, but it WILL give you a much better idea of how some features will play out when they get out in the wild. Players are unpredictable and half the stuff you design will not be used as you intended. With the advent of YouTube and Twitch where you can actually observe people playing instead of them writing long, rambling feedback posts where they propose solutions that will most likely not be feasible for any number of reasons, the usefulness of open betas has actually soared.

DISCLAIMER: Just a volunteer moderator, not an Obsidian Dev. Do not speak for Obsidian, do not take my views on backseat devs and forum feedback as an Obsidian stance.

• Like 6

For example, I am worried that the explosion of multi-classes will make the game boring as everyone will pick the "best" mix (barbarians as far as I know now) to the detriment of other classes. However, I am not a beta player so I shut up because I do not know the details.

Not to worry, the information is public and you should be able to give a sound opinion if you attain the knowledge and are comfortable enough to do so.

My concern is already shared and reported. I do not need to add my oh-so-not-humble £0.02 to it. ☺

Even if there are dumb classes that are useless, a patch will make them better in the future. I trust Obsidian enough for that. If not, that's what lowering the difficulty is for.

Nescire autem quid ante quam natus sis acciderit, id est semper esse puerum. Quid enim est aetas hominis, nisi ea memoria rerum veterum kum superiorum aetate contexitur? Marcus Tillius Cicero

Nonono, lowering the difficulty is for bad players, not bad classes. ;)

A Dark Souls player amongst PoE?… ☺

Nescire autem quid ante quam natus sis acciderit, id est semper esse puerum. Quid enim est aetas hominis, nisi ea memoria rerum veterum kum superiorum aetate contexitur? Marcus Tillius Cicero

I would be okay with Deadfire getting ported to my tablet :) Deadfire on the go non-Laptop sounds nice

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

True.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...