Pet Peeves Thread

ghostwriter

As the title suggests I thought we could use a thread for minor complaints or suggestions. Maybe small stuff that annoys us but which are really not a big deal in the larger scheme of things.

I'd like an option to choose no voice set in character creation like the first game.

Also less smoke and less linger time of the smoke when using firearms.( This is from a vid released a few months ago, not sure if improved in beta)

Finally I'd like the option of multiclassing Pallegina into a rogue to give some damage options. I think most of the companions multiclass options have been announced but not Pallegina or Maia. 

Thoughts?

EDIT- Come to think of it, last one might belong in General Discussion. Apologies.

Edited by ghostwriter

No I read about that change, but I'm not sure if it applies to all companions. I think like with Pallegina, for example, I doubt the devs would let us choose any single class other than Paladin because it's too integral to her character concept. So I think it will either be Paladin/something or just pure Paladin. Same with Maia and Aloth for Ranger and Wizard respectively. 

So was just saying hope she gets a rogue multiclass going with that assumption.

Edited by ghostwriter

About the companions multiclassing, things have changes since their initial announcements. Now companions come with 3 fixed choices and you pick one. They've only talked about Eder at this point; he's gonna be either Fighter, Rogue or Fighter/Rogue.

Aww that sucks, I was actually considering making Edér a Fighter/Priest of Eothas, what with his god being reborn and all that.

Then again that might be completely contradictory to his story which we know nothing about yet.

Also no Cipher/Rogue for Serafen...  :(

Edited by Pope

Josh added an example of Aloth. He will be pure Wizard or Wizard/class no1 or Wizard/class no.2. All of them will have 3 choices. So Pallegina will probably the same: pure Palladin, Palladin + class no. 1, Palladin + class no. 2. What those subclasses will be is anyones guess. I get an impression it is all still in the air. 

Josh said that this is what they have in mind right now, but it is a subject to a possible change. We will see.

About the companions multiclassing, things have changes since their initial announcements. Now companions come with 3 fixed choices and you pick one. They've only talked about Eder at this point; he's gonna be either Fighter, Rogue or Fighter/Rogue.

Or is this a change? This is what I understood the first time they announced the system way back. Companion class/multiclassing was always meant to be limited.

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

Or is this a change? This is what I understood the first time they announced the system way back. Companion class/multiclassing was always meant to be limited.

It's my understanding that back when the multicalss system was still closer to D&D 3E, companions would need to have their first level in one of their assigned classes, but every level after that was completely up to the players. Some classes might be odd choices for some companions, but I believe the main idea was that it's up to the player to justify it to himself.

I guess that when the actual multiclass system was announced, we somehow interpreted this as the companions needing to have at least one of their assigned classes, but we would be able to multiclass them however we want. Or maybe that was even suggested by Josh, I don't recall exactly.

Personally I liked that idea. I can understand that it might seem a bit unfair that those companions with two assigned classes (Edér, Serafen, Xoti, Tekehu) would have more options than those with only one class (Pallegina, Aloth, Maia), but still. More flexibilty is always a good thing.

Edited by Pope

It's my understanding that back when the multicalss system was still closer to D&D 3E, companions would need to have their first level in one of their assigned classes, but every level after that was completely up to the players. Some classes might be odd choices for some companions, but I believe the main idea was that it's up to the player to justify it to himself.

I guess that when the actual multiclass system was announced, we somehow interpreted this as the companions needing to have at least one of their assigned classes, but we would be able to multiclass them however we want. Or maybe that was even suggested by Josh, I don't recall exactly.

Personally I liked that idea. I can understand that it might seem a bit unfair that those companions with two assigned classes (Edér, Serafen, Xoti, Tekehu) would have more options than those with only one class (Pallegina, Aloth, Maia), but still. More flexibilty is always a good thing.

There was some confucion which was explained during the most recent Q&A. Here's what Josh said:

"What we are currently supporting—and this might change—is that when you get a character in your party you will have the option of taking them as — it depends on the character. There will be three options depending on the character. If you get Edér it'll say: "Hey, do you want to be a Fighter, a Rogue or a Swashbuckler?" There are other characters, like Aloth, where it will be a Wizard or a Wizard mixed with another class(that we'll define), or a third option which is a Wizard mixed with yet another class. That's what we're currently supporting. Depending on how testing of that goes we may open that up to support more than that. It just turned out to be more technically complicated, in terms of UI and progression, than we had expected. But, yeah, the currently plan is that every companion that you get will have those three options and you specify it right there, and then they advance as that class or combination of classes."

The thing is, there are dialogue and immersion constraints on that one.

I mean, Eder tells you about his life and fighting alongside his friend Masha who died when she was 17 but he still had time to bang her so it's cool, and he was there standing shield by shield next to her blablabla and it was heroic blablabla ...

and you've made him a mage ... shield mage, yep, right in the realism -.-

I for one would love for companions to be entirely tunable, like has been done in Divinity Original Sin 2.

I'll still take a restricted selection over nothing, though ;)

I feel like when it rains some of the folks should wack out a brolly, whose who are still standing outside in the rain. It was nice to see that some folks went under cover though. Furthermore I found the ship sailing parts reminded me of Windward which was rather tranquil but without the soothing music or the pirates :p

The walking animation of your party members syncing together makes the party look like they are mass-produced puppets.

Ah yes. This very much.

IE games had a very smart solution in place and it would be really good to have it in Deadfire.

I'll also never understand having green circles for neutral NPCs. It is counter intuitive. Neutral NPCs should have cyan circles, like they did in IE games.

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus