Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[CLASS BUILD] The Sprightly Scorpion (PotD solo Stun-locking Rogue)

Rogue Stun PotD Solo Character Build

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Jojobobo

Jojobobo

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1131 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

“Scorpions are nature’s way of saying, ‘Screw you! I’m gonna combine lobsters, spiders, wasps and nightmares!’”

This build provides a tanky Rogue, who also has high single target damage and produces his own status effects through the Stun on crit version of Cladhalíath. Dexterity and Intellect have been pitched so that you can keep an enemy permanently stunned so long as you score a hit on the Stun vs. Fortitude roll that results from a melee crit. In this way, you can have high damage against a single target – while simultaneously disabling other enemies through periodic Riposte stuns as well, giving this build a nice offensive-defensive balance. Hopefully this should subvert the idea a Rogue is a weak class, with defences that are comparable to other solo tank builds but compared to some a great deal more damage.

While the Yellow Flash build also uses Riposte mechanics to great effect, it seems more pitched towards the classic tank style of grinding enemies down with a wounding weapon rather than aiming for high single target damage. The Flaming Porcupine build seems to be much of the same idea as this build, but seems to have weaker defences and a slightly different focus (use of a two-handed weapon for one). As such, I think this build is distinct enough to warrant its own write-up.

Why the name the Sprightly Scorpion? Because scorpions are well protected and defensive, Cladhalíath provides a stunning sting, and it’s sprightly because its attacks are fast enough to chain Stun. And because I said so!

I will say this build is ENTIRELY UNTESTED (apart from the Stun-locking mechanics, which I've just had a play with, making sure the Stun-locking works). I hope to get around to testing it soonish (after Christmas maybe) but currently lack the time. I’ll update the build when or/if I finish testing it (or if one of you kind people do first), however I don’t anticipate their being any problems in terms of solo viability with the build. Without further ado…

Sprightly_Scorpion.png

===================================

The Sprightly Scorpion

===================================

Difficulty: Untested, but will test on expert PotD solo, no respec, with full upscaling

--------------------------------------------------------------

Class: Rogue

Race: Wild Orlan

Background: Old Valia (Colonist)

Starting Attributes:

MIG: 17

CON: 15

DEX: 10

PER: 5

INT: 19

RES: 12

Final Attributes:

MIG: 21 (Gift from the Machine, Garodh’s Chorus)

CON: 16 (Rymrgand’s Boon)

DEX: 14 (Viettro’s Formal Footware)

PER: 8 (Elryn’s Jacket, Song of the Heavens)

INT: 26 (Gwyn’s Band of Union, Forum resting bonus)

RES: 16 (Siegebreaker’s Gauntlets)

Important skills:

Survival 16, Lore 9, Mechanics 5 (boostable to 10).

This gives third stage survival accuracy bonus for +20 accuracy against anything but kith, as well as access to things like Scrolls of Confusion and Paralysis in tougher fights.

Skill point allocation:

Spoiler

Abilities and Talents:

Abilities:

1 – Crippling Strike

3 – Reckless Assault

5 – Deep Wounds

7 – Dirty Fighting

9 – Adept Evasion

11 – Riposte

13 – Deathblows

15 – Withering Strike

Talents:

2 – Veteran’s Recovery

4 – Weapon and Shield Style

6 – Weapon Focus Peasant

8 – Vicious Fighting

10 – Wound Binding

12 – Deep Pockets

14 – Superior Deflection

16 – Deflecting Assault

Quest Talents:

Blooded Hunter

Dozen’s Luck

Dungeon Delver

Gift from the Machine

Rymyrgand’s Boon

Song of the Heavens

Scale-Breaker

The Merciless Hand

---------------------------------------------------------------

Weapons and Equipment (listing only new enchantments):

Weapon set 1: Cladhalíath (Stunning, Vicious, Superb, Durgan-Refined, Freezing Lash) and Badgradr’s Barricade (Superb, Durgan-Reinforced)

Weapon Set 2: Alternate Stunning or Overbearing weapon, Little Saviour (Durgan-Reinforced, Legendary)

Armor: Elryn’s Jacket (Legendary, Durgan-Reinforced)

Neck: Cape of the Master Mystic

Belt: Looped Rope

Rings: Gwyn’s Band of Union and Ring of Protection

Hands: Siegebreaker Gauntlets

Head: Garodh’s Chorus (Retaliation)

Feet: Viettro’s Formal Footwear

---------------------------------------------------------------

Weapon accuracy and defenses:

Cladhalíath accuracy 100

Def/Ref/Fort/Will 110/108/108/118

Calculations:

Spoiler

Buffed defenses:

Def/Ref/Fort/Will 160/168/170/148

Calculations:

Spoiler

Playstyle overview:

Using Cladhalíath, every crit on an enemy triggers a Stun vs. Fortitude roll. Stun itself gives a -30 Deflection debuff, meaning that once an enemy is stunned crits against that enemy should occur extremely frequently (with the Deflection debuff, but also with 40% hit-to-crit conversion from Vicious/Dirty Fighting and Durgan-Reinforcement). This provides more Stun vs. Fortitude rolls, which so long as they result in a hit themselves will result in the enemy being permanently stunned with the 14 Dex 15 Int combo. Cladhalíath itself can also be made Vicious as the second enchantment, dealing an extra 20% damage to stunned enemies.

With a permanent Stun effect, triggering criteria for Deathblows becomes trivial. Both Withering Strike and Sever the Soul themselves debuff Fortitude through the Weakened affliction, meaning you will easily trigger both Stun and Weakened in a single attack opening up Deathblows. Crippling Strike and Figurine flanking, as well as occasional Eyestrikes from Elryn’s Jacket, give enough other means for you to get Deathblows easily in a single encounter.

With the previously mentioned massive -30 Deflection debuff from Stun, Badgradr’s Barricade also really starts to shine, with every Bash crit resulting in a Thrust of the Tattered Veils, which itself targets the massively debuffed Deflection and is effected by Deathblows. This combination of effects against a stunned enemy gives you great single target damage, while also being defensively bulky.

Riposte, Retaliation and Deep Wounds provide an excellent means of crowd control. Riposte itself gives free attacks to surrounding melee enemies on misses and grazes, made viable by the build’s good Deflection, giving you a chance to Stun these enemies with Cladhalíath for a few of seconds. As these enemies are entirely immobile during this time, this reduces the overall damage you’ll take from a melee group, making it an indirect defensive maneuver. Deep Wounds and Retaliation ensure that all melee enemies are constantly taking some raw damage, making them much weaker when you get around to targeting them specifically.

Eyestrike from Elryn’s Jacket has nice synergy with Riposte, Retaliation and Deep Wounds as essentially melee enemies are always at risk of something (miss/graze -> Riposte chance, hit/crit -> Eyestrike chance, all the while taking Deep Wounds raw damage and Retaliation hits). When an enemy has been blinded, their accuracy debuff means that they’ll now tend towards more misses and grazes, and as such trigger even more Ripostes.

For spellcasters, the extremely strong Adept Evasion (75% reflex grazes to misses, 50% reflex hits to grazes) coupled to your reasonable Reflex score means their attacks really aren’t much of a concern. When you couple this to the 20% spell reflection from Durgan-Reinforced Badgradr’s Barricade, and the chance they also have of suffering Eyestrike, they can be comfortably left until the end of combat when you’ve dealt with the melee enemies.

Hopefully this rundown should have given you an idea of the build’s high damage, coupled to some great defenses that marry some of the best qualities of a Rogue and a tank.

I’ve provided a few other little sections below, for anyone interested…

Attribute score choice:

Spoiler

Race and equipment choices, damage calcs:

Spoiler

Talent and ability choices:

Spoiler

Early game equipment:

Spoiler

Big boss advice:

Spoiler

Pairing for party play:

Spoiler

And that’s that! I hope you’ve enjoyed the build, and even if it isn’t playtested I think it’d be worth a try. If anyone manages to give it a playtest before me, let me know and I’ll update the build with your findings. Have a nice day!

EDIT: Re-tested Cladhalíath, and found the previous attributes I listed to be way off. The new set work fine to chain Stun on Stun roll hits.

Edited by Jojobobo, 16 November 2017 - 09:07 AM.

• grausch, mosspit and Dr <3 like this

mosspit

mosspit

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 488 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
Hey Jojobobo
Always good to see a familiar face coming back :)
  • Jojobobo likes this

Jojobobo

Jojobobo

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1131 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Yeah I should be sticking around for a little while again, the sequel peaked my interest.

• Dr <3 likes this

lightsfantastic

lightsfantastic

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 7 posts
THIS BUILD IS SO AWESOME!
Added into an existing save about act2/level 7 and wow!
Using Ritezzi's Thorn and Sura's Supper Plate and it destroys everything in its path.
After this run through on hard I will be doing a PotD run with it.

Edited by lightsfantastic, 19 November 2017 - 02:09 PM.

Jojobobo

Jojobobo

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1131 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Yeah it should be pretty strong. Deep Wounds Rogues with any Retaliation always boss Act II, and then you get Cladhalíath right away in Act III. It's probably worth switching out Elryn's Jacket in the long term for one of the new Deadfire jackets as the defences are too good to pass up (so long as they retain those +20 Def/+20 Ref/Fort/Will denfenses).

This build should be solid as is, but I'll probably try and play-test a new (and hopefully better) variant I'm cooking up over this specific one. I'll need to iron out more details, but I'll update once I've given either this or it's similar variation a playtest.

BlackHat

BlackHat

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 28 posts

does the durgan reinforced weapon enchant stack with vicious/dirty fighting? Wasn't sure that it did

Jojobobo

Jojobobo

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1131 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I just double checked, and yes they appear to do so. In the combat log you'll notice some hit to crit conversion due to "Dirty Fighting" and some hit to crit conversion under the weapon's name due to Durganisation.

Edited by Jojobobo, 19 November 2017 - 03:51 PM.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7652 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
It does.

This build is quite similar to the ones I usually use for the Devil of Caroc - instead of a spear I use Shatterstar/later Godansthunyr + Barricade.

For non-solo runs I'd recommend binding rope. That way you will unlock Deathblows all the time with stun + stuck. Ripostes will be done with Deathblows as will Thrust of Tattered Veil and retaliation from Supper Plate, too (obviously the last two not simultaneously ;)).

Generally speaking: I find Barricade to be the much better alternative over Supper Plate. Deep Wounds can be triggered in an AoE conveniently by the Colored Coat by the way. Also causes hobbled. With another AoE affliction like Blind from Amulet of Summer Solstice you can make Wicked Briars hit with Deathblows with every pulse. Quite good when you get pummeled to hard.

Edited by Boeroer, 19 November 2017 - 11:29 PM.

• Jojobobo likes this

Jojobobo

Jojobobo

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1131 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Some good tips, as always Boeroer. It is a bit of a shame a lot of status inflicting items are only available in party play, otherwise yes Binding Rope is a great fit on the build. Possibly 3 per Rest Sunbeam with the Colored Coat is a bit of a better way to go, but then it becomes a little tricky to chop and change the other items around and maintain Deflection with the high bonus the Cape of the Master Mystic provides. Again it's likely more relevant for play where you can get buffed.

I'm having a look over my provisional unarmed Barbarian build again and seeing if I can make it good enough for solo play. Last time when I was giving it a shot it worked really well - until I got to WM Pt I and couldn't hit anything because of the 3 Per. I know my original idea was that Per was largely unnecessary as Grazes only scale down the base damage of fists (in that way Graze/Hit/Crit and Carnage attacks all do similar damage) - but it turns out that's a bit of problem if you're not actually hitting enough things!

I'm looking into Resolve dumping instead now (Deflection is worthless on the build, and Will is the most pointless save in solo) - though I'm a bit wary of being interrupted all the time, particularly as this is compounded by low Deflection as crits have higher Interrupt. I figure end game I'll be using the Lost Periapt of the Winding Path anyway (+2 Res, and +20 Concentration) for more healing, and up until that point Resolve is fairly easy to buff when I need to from 3 to 8 with a +2 item and the +3 resting bonus from the Chapel. With Siegebreaker Gauntlets this can be made up to 10, and you can use Potions of Spirit Shield in times of need to get +30 Concentration anyway. With Siegebreaker Gauntlets and the Periapt in the absolutely toughest fights hopefully it'll work out.

I also didn't realise how strong Envenomed Strikes are when you have 38 Might (for those curious, 21 from Living Lands Coastal Aumaua, then +3 Training Grounds, +4 Maegfolc Skull, +1 Galawain's Boon, +1 Gift from the Machine, +6 Greater Frenzy, +2 Lyrinia's Boon) - you can deal 134 raw damage in one hit, for over 400 raw damage across the three hits (they don't work with Carnage, but still). My testing seems to suggest kills from the DoT still trigger Blood Thirst, so with Dragon's Leap, HoF, Barbaric Blows and then three separate hits of 134 damage (all at no recovery if you're scoring kills along the way) the build should be a tactical nuke.

I'll see how it works out. Hopefully against enemies that target Deflection (Thaos, Magran's Faithful) I'd be able to kill them before they kill me, but it's hard to say.

Edited by Jojobobo, 20 November 2017 - 12:51 AM.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7652 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Yes, I used Envenomed Strike with my melee Priest of Berath (using Tidefall/Abydon's Hammer + Runner's Wounding Shot and Envenomed Strike) - and because you can reach 50+ MIG and 30+ INT with this (Aggrandizing Radiance + Minor Avatar and stuff) the Envenomed Strikes become NASTY things. Especially if you combine them with Cleansing Flame... ;)

Since the unarmed barb wants to have very high MIG and also INT it's a great talent for him, too.

Edited by Boeroer, 20 November 2017 - 04:20 AM.

• Jojobobo and Torm51 like this

doggiep0op

doggiep0op

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 3 posts

Hi all,

Been reading for some time but never got around to posting. Thanks everyone for super helpful info. 

I've been playing a combo of this build and Boeroer's sneaky apprentice build but with guns to open and it's been a lot of fun.

I went the tanky route at first but after level 10 found that he wasn't losing much health at all. I respec'ed and replaced veteran's recovery and wound binding with arms bearer and quick switch. I'm doing group play so took penetrating shot instead of deep pockets. Usual encounter open with sneak attack silver flash with crippling strike for damage upwards of 180+ if divine mark hits. Quick switch to another blunderbuss (thinking to duplicate silver flash) for another 100+. By then group has placed a couple of afflictions so change to spear/shield and launch a few scrolls with deathblows for more 100+ shots. After that engage in melee with stunning and more scrolls as needed. More micro but pretty fun! 

Thanks again for sharing the builds

Jojobobo

Jojobobo

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1131 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Sounds cool - I've not got round to thoroughly testing the build myself yet! In group play, it definitely won't need quite the same defensive boosts and Vet's Recovery is probably overkill (usually at the end of the game playing solo Vet's Recovery isn't that vital, it's just so damn useful early-mid game).

What talents/abilities/attribute spread have you gone for? I'm always interested in the specifics on any sort of build variation.

doggiep0op

doggiep0op

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 3 posts

I did basically the same attributes, dropped int to 16 and increased per to 8 I think to start. talents the same except the swaps I mentioned. I skipped reckless assualt and just took the others ones earlier. Not sure what I'll replace with later, currently level 12.

Also forgot to mention playing hard mode so defensives were fine without getting swarmed while firing off the shots and scrolls.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Rogue, Stun, PotD, Solo, Character Build

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users