Obsidian DLC Survey

Achilles

Okay, so some feedback finally on the survey since there was no open comments section on the actual survey. Hopefully Eric reads this thread as well as Reddit ;)

No actually meaningful Day 1 DLC. I don't mind skin/weapon/cosmetic packs as pre-order bonus. But actual content on day 1 seems to me like an option to extort your customers to buying the game as pre-order. Case in point BioWare and Dragon Age games. While the actual content was just fine and did add a cool companion to the game, it always felt like a method of either forcing you to pre-order or pay extra right afterwards when you realized that you actually enjoy the game enough to pay for DLC content.

If you do have a pre-order bonus, you still need to have that available for those who didn't pre-order with a reasonable price.

Do not sell something that belongs to the game as a DLC. For example Blood&Gore pack for Total War: Warhammer. It's 3 euros, but it's still something that should have been in the game to begin with.

Horse Armors, Portrait packs etc. Please, just don't. While it might give you an extra buck or two, it's still kinda cheap way to do business. There's more to lose than to gain as company if you start releasing trivial stuff.

Under no circumstances should you actually promote your DLCs within the game. BioWare lost me when they started having NPC's promoting their DLCs with ! -marks. I don't need to be spoon fed commercials when I'm playing.

No loot crates or other ways to help the player beat the game as long as he/she/unicorn just pays the amount asked.

Please don't go full Paradox mode either. While it might work for their hardcore fans who play 1000 hours of their games, it doesn't work for me. I have so much to play and when there's always a new DLC just around the corner to be released, it's hard to get back into the game to play those DLC's you've actually bought. I just don't have the time to spend hundreds of hours on just one game.

Season passes are tricky. I don't think I've bought any ever. You really need to be open about what you will get if you pay for a season pass. Pricing should be based on the actual content, not based on the original game. **** me over once and I will never pay for any season passes.

I'd rather get one larger DLC/expansion pack than many smaller ones, naturally though it depens on the game. For NWN2, Mask of the Betrayer was perfect. It continued the story and made the game so much better.

For New Vegas the smaller and different than your original game were fine. I liked how even though they were seperate there was still the story of Ulysses in the background.

I disliked the fact that White March was split into two parts. While I understand the reasoning behind it, I think it hurt the reviews for the DLC and it was quite hard get back to the game once 2nd part finally came out.

I haven't played Tyranny's DLC yet, but from what I've read it offers more of the same, Oldwalls and the same enemies. I understand it's most likely a budgeting issue and up to Paradox, but as the customer I expect the DLC to add plenty to the game and not just more of the same. While the quests for your companions are fine addition, new enemies and locales would make the DLC much easier to get into.

On pricing... I think the 10 dollars? for each New Vegas DLC was perfect. I don't mind paying more if I know there is enough content.

• Like 1

Hate the living, love the dead.

NV dlc is as good as it gets for value, same goes for FO3, but I can't say I overly enjoyed them. NV's dlc strayed too far from the base game(save for the short Honest Hearts) with some irritating design choices. I'd just prefer a large side quest in the existing game world in hope of preventing designers from nearly busting the game with so called creative changes.

I too like the most bang for my gaming buck. I've never spent a dime on small DLCs. When I know there is add-on gaming material coming, that just makes me hold out for the GotY edition, or equivalent. Just sell me the expanded game then get out of the way...  :sweat:

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Please don't go full Paradox mode either. While it might work for their hardcore fans who play 1000 hours of their games, it doesn't work for me. I have so much to play and when there's always a new DLC just around the corner to be released, it's hard to get back into the game to play those DLC's you've actually bought. I just don't have the time to spend hundreds of hours on just one game.

I am one of those hardcore fans. I am pretty sure that only works for grand strategy games that you will be playing for years and are constantly being worked on. I don't mind funding work continually being done to tweak the game. So it is fine for us, but yes that would suck outside of that specific content.