Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Obsidian DLC Survey

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

FlintlockJazz

FlintlockJazz

White Rabbit of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1861 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I fricking hate it when you start a game and you immediately get swamped with 'pre-order bonuses' and dlc weapons that it immediately has to tell you about and fill your inventory with!  Every time I started Deus Ex Human Revolution I would have this overpowered crap that would unbalance my game immediately shoved into my inventory, hence I hate weapon dlcs and other small or 'nickle and dime' dlcs as a result.

• Androoh, rjshae, injurai and 3 others like this

Wormerine

Wormerine

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 755 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I personally like when expansions expand the base game rather than adding new, short campaign. It does need to be well implemented though. A good example of base game DLC which doesn’t disrupt the flow of the game is Heart of Stone for Witcher3, which nicely fits into the base game and has a story reason to either do the expansion in one go or dip in and out.

I certainly don’t like it when games end on cliffhanger in order to make space for DLC (NWN2). And as I like replaying a good RPG new content is always a good excuse to jump back in.

I really don’t get why people who didn’t want to replay the whole game had an issue with WM. The automatic save is there, ability to rebalance WM to fit your level is there. Overall it seems like a better option being a content which can be played both by those who beat the game already and newcomers.
  • rjshae and HooAmEye like this

AwesomeOcelot

AwesomeOcelot

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1233 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Main problem with DLC is just value for money. DLC should be proportionate to the game, so if the content is equivalent to 10% of the game, why is the DLC 25% of the cost of the game? Especially when it's using the same engine, same dev tools, 80% of the assets.

Single player games shouldn't have weapon and cosmetic pack DLC you pay for, bundle that into expansion class DLC or release it for free. Mini-expansions that are also proportionately priced are fine. Season passes are insanity, clearly anti-consumer, not only do they include bull**** DLC like weapon packs, but you're buying a future product no one has seen let alone reviewed. DLC expansions in the middle of single play campaigns are bad for pacing, frustrating for players who have already competed the main campaign, often mess up balance, and sometimes the way they are shoehorned into an already existing plot is clumsy.

Mutli-player games should only have cosmetic DLC, any other DLC inevitably leads to fragmentation or pay to win, even if the dev cares about balance they constantly get it wrong, then have to nerf something that often makes it unplayable, something people paid money for. The reason things like cosmetics are fine here is you're paying for the service, but without a flat rate fee, which would be an alternative to DLC.

• Achilles and evilcat like this

injurai

injurai

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1266 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

If season-passes make sense if you have a lot of small dlc. They are an improvement of the older model. Small bits a trinket items/missions are just bad dlc design, and I agree anti-consumer. Also anti-reputation, but some companies seem to be impervious to that.

Achilles

Achilles

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1551 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

DLC expansions in the middle of single play campaigns are bad for pacing, frustrating for players who have already competed the main campaign, often mess up balance, and sometimes the way they are shoehorned into an already existing plot is clumsy.

Well said.

Flouride

Flouride

Chew Toy of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1845 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Okay, so some feedback finally on the survey since there was no open comments section on the actual survey. Hopefully Eric reads this thread as well as Reddit ;)

No actually meaningful Day 1 DLC. I don't mind skin/weapon/cosmetic packs as pre-order bonus. But actual content on day 1 seems to me like an option to extort your customers to buying the game as pre-order. Case in point BioWare and Dragon Age games. While the actual content was just fine and did add a cool companion to the game, it always felt like a method of either forcing you to pre-order or pay extra right afterwards when you realized that you actually enjoy the game enough to pay for DLC content.

If you do have a pre-order bonus, you still need to have that available for those who didn't pre-order with a reasonable price.

Do not sell something that belongs to the game as a DLC. For example Blood&Gore pack for Total War: Warhammer. It's 3 euros, but it's still something that should have been in the game to begin with.

Horse Armors, Portrait packs etc. Please, just don't. While it might give you an extra buck or two, it's still kinda cheap way to do business. There's more to lose than to gain as company if you start releasing trivial stuff.

Under no circumstances should you actually promote your DLCs within the game. BioWare lost me when they started having NPC's promoting their DLCs with ! -marks. I don't need to be spoon fed commercials when I'm playing.

No loot crates or other ways to help the player beat the game as long as he/she/unicorn just pays the amount asked.

Please don't go full Paradox mode either. While it might work for their hardcore fans who play 1000 hours of their games, it doesn't work for me. I have so much to play and when there's always a new DLC just around the corner to be released, it's hard to get back into the game to play those DLC's you've actually bought. I just don't have the time to spend hundreds of hours on just one game.

Season passes are tricky. I don't think I've bought any ever. You really need to be open about what you will get if you pay for a season pass. Pricing should be based on the actual content, not based on the original game. **** me over once and I will never pay for any season passes.

I'd rather get one larger DLC/expansion pack than many smaller ones, naturally though it depens on the game. For NWN2, Mask of the Betrayer was perfect. It continued the story and made the game so much better.

For New Vegas the smaller and different than your original game were fine. I liked how even though they were seperate there was still the story of Ulysses in the background.

I disliked the fact that White March was split into two parts. While I understand the reasoning behind it, I think it hurt the reviews for the DLC and it was quite hard get back to the game once 2nd part finally came out.

I haven't played Tyranny's DLC yet, but from what I've read it offers more of the same, Oldwalls and the same enemies. I understand it's most likely a budgeting issue and up to Paradox, but as the customer I expect the DLC to add plenty to the game and not just more of the same. While the quests for your companions are fine addition, new enemies and locales would make the DLC much easier to get into.

On pricing... I think the 10 dollars? for each New Vegas DLC was perfect. I don't mind paying more if I know there is enough content.

• Bendu likes this

Blodhemn

Blodhemn

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 719 posts
NV dlc is as good as it gets for value, same goes for FO3, but I can't say I overly enjoyed them. NV's dlc strayed too far from the base game(save for the short Honest Hearts) with some irritating design choices. I'd just prefer a large side quest in the existing game world in hope of preventing designers from nearly busting the game with so called creative changes.

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4670 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I too like the most bang for my gaming buck. I've never spent a dime on small DLCs. When I know there is add-on gaming material coming, that just makes me hold out for the GotY edition, or equivalent. Just sell me the expanded game then get out of the way...  :sweat:

Valmy

Valmy

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 788 posts
  • Steam:valmy77
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Please don't go full Paradox mode either. While it might work for their hardcore fans who play 1000 hours of their games, it doesn't work for me. I have so much to play and when there's always a new DLC just around the corner to be released, it's hard to get back into the game to play those DLC's you've actually bought. I just don't have the time to spend hundreds of hours on just one game.

I am one of those hardcore fans. I am pretty sure that only works for grand strategy games that you will be playing for years and are constantly being worked on. I don't mind funding work continually being done to tweak the game. So it is fine for us, but yes that would suck outside of that specific content.

Katarack21

Katarack21

Chief Eldritch Abomination of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2462 posts
  • Steam:Katarack21
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

"I'm only interested in expansion style DLCs."