so, i beat the game on hard way back when it was launched and started a new one recently having bought WM1&2(both runs i went with a priest as the PC)... got to about level 10-11 (while in upscaled white march) and wasnt having much trouble with fights... so i decided to abandon that and start a POTD run. This time around i went for a chanter PC (bard/blade was my favourite back in the days of BG) ... but i really struggle to see how one can do it without a priest. I immediately went ahead and got Durance cause the Temple of Eothas Shades were extremely annoying for Eder/Aloth/Chanter... and he definitely makes it workable whether by buffs or straight up heals.

I will say that i dont min/max stats and only use the NPC's the game gives you (no hired adventurers) as im big on the RP aspect too... Having said that, ive seen that people have completed it without a priest and even done solo runs (which i believe were also on POTD)... Do you just skip the temple at the beginning and come back to it later or such? Cause i really struggle to see how someone could solo content of that nature on POTD without a dedicated buffer/healer and even more so solo...

I'm not enamored with Durance myself (maybe ill grow to like him i dunno) but perhaps someone can give me a few pointers on how i would go about doing the content without him?

but i really struggle to see how one can do it without a priest. I immediately went ahead and got Durance cause the Temple of Eothas Shades were extremely annoying for Eder/Aloth/Chanter... and he definitely makes it workable whether by buffs or straight up heals.

My very first run was without vancian classes, because I didn't like Durance, and considered Aloth to be weak back than.

I started on Hard, and switched to PotD on level 5. My party consisted of MC (ranged cipher), Eder (tank), Kana (offtank), Pallegina (ranged), Sagani (ranged) and GM (ranged). Always started with a good alpha-strike, and followed with double echo on Itumaak.

I had a few problems with enemy charmers, but have quickly learned to hard-cc them asap; and use Liberating Exhortation + potions of Major Recovery as the get out of jail card.

Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 1

but i really struggle to see how one can do it without a priest. I immediately went ahead and got Durance cause the Temple of Eothas Shades were extremely annoying for Eder/Aloth/Chanter... and he definitely makes it workable whether by buffs or straight up heals.

My very first run was without vancian classes, because I didn't like Durance, and considered Aloth to be weak back than.

I started on Hard, and switched to PotD on level 5. My party consisted of MC (ranged cipher), Eder (tank), Kana (offtank), Pallegina (ranged), Sagani (ranged) and GM (ranged). Always started with a good alpha-strike, and followed with double echo on Itumaak.

I had a few problems with enemy charmers, but have quickly learned to hard-cc them asap; and use Liberating Exhortation + potions of Major Recovery as the get out of jail card.

Sigh, so I guess I do need a CC archer (Ranger or Borresaine user, etc.) or Cipher after all for PotD? Goddamn, do I need to redraw my group again? :(

Sigh, so I guess I do need a CC archer (Ranger or Borresaine user, etc.) or Cipher after all for PotD? Goddamn, do I need to redraw my group again? :(

i was thinking the same... unlike most im not a fan of the cipher and have never used them much in any of my playthroughs... I'd hate to have to start now as it will require i abandon a char that i actually like... Currently im looking at PC(chanter), Eder Pallegina and Ittumak on the front line, my Chanter smack in the middle of the formation with a back like of Sagani, Aloth and Durance (if i have to) ... 

• Like 1

i was thinking the same... unlike most im not a fan of the cipher and have never used them much in any of my playthroughs... I'd hate to have to start now as it will require i abandon a char that i actually like... Currently im looking at PC(chanter), Eder Pallegina and Ittumak on the front line, my Chanter smack in the middle of the formation with a back like of Sagani, Aloth and Durance (if i have to) ... 

I am not a fan of Cipher either, since I hate to micro-manage. Well, I am going to run in anyways without one and see what happens. I do have a Wizard, and I may end up duplicating the rod that stuns on crit and give it to both my Priest and Wizard. I also may give my front-line some CC trinkets like Munacra.

the priest is one of the best facilitators for your party - some may say the best. but you can definitely do without a priest on potd. I would recommend using scrolls, especially the immunization scrolls against paralyze, charm and so on, plus the +15 accuracy and the +20 def scrolls.

I find ciphers very helpful when running a party without priest. that's maybe because they attack will defense with a lot of their cc powers. as will is often the lowest defense of your opponents, ciphers do not necessarily need the priest's devotions or inspiring radiances to hit. if you do not want to play a cipher, I would recommend a wizard . they also have great cc powers that attack will, and you can buff their accuracy with eldritch eye or merciless gaze if needed. if you choose a blaster build, tge wizard may require less micro management than a cipher