Just one more question: i see no whisper of treason/ puppet master/ ring leader in your quick bar, do you even use that spells or you skip them for something else? You did a full solo run with your char or only the bosses?

Edit: lol at unlaborade blade super bug

This char specifically was console created a while back when we tried out which char is best for the high level bounties in this forum.

But I did a full run with cipher and used whispers in quite a few encounters, for example I couldn't win Magran's Faithful upscaled without it (charm the priests).

It's also actually quite some fun to charm one of the bog dragons (one is immune one not) but psychic backlashing them is even more fun.

Well it's not really about unlabored blade and counts basically for every weapon enchant, the enchant itself applies to spells/chants, you name it.

(Blade and Abydons are just the only Mythic weapons I know of)

Only thing that doesn't apply is weapon specific stuff like +5 for daggers or WF or talents like flick of the wrist.

Edited by Raven Darkholme

I use quick switch and that coil belt for 0 sec switch on Cipher for abilities (+4 MIG), but melee with legendary haste qstaff for focus generation - frankly though I didn't realize the weapon enchant damage was originally just doing it primarily for the MIG.

Edited by MasterCipher

Sorry maybe i have lost something, but afaik normally weapon accuracy bonus didn't enanche the accuracy of spells or abilities. Only thing that worked was 1h style for the +12 accuracy. Is something new due the 3.06 pach? Now weapon accuracy bonus from enchantment bolster accuracy of spell or abilities?

• Like 1

Just checked with a low level chanter and Come Sweet Winds: no difference in ACC when switching from a normal to a fine weapon.

Aloth: Minor Missiles with a fine sabre: 45. With a normal sabre: also 45.

All taken from the combat log.

That would have been totally new to me if this had worked.

What does boost your ACC with all offensive abilities is char level: +1 per level.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

That's strange since I tested it the other day with a chanter, too.

I just rechecked ingame tho and switching weapons doesn't change acc, maybe i unequipped the weapon instead of switching to a weaker enchant and mistook the acc boost for the enchant

edit: retested it with unequipping and that didn't change acc either.

I can't tell you what I (thought) I saw the other day I looked at the acc of an invocation and it changed, but maybe I was drunk. :p

• Like 1

Well it's not really about unlabored blade and counts basically for every weapon enchant, the enchant itself applies to spells/chants, you name it.

(Blade and Abydons are just the only Mythic weapons I know of)

I knew about 1 handed weapon boosting accuracy for white worm explosion and some chants,  but I didn't know about weapon enchantment boosting spell and chant damage. Does this work with Cipher abilities? I just tried testing with a fine 1 hander and fine 2 hander and the tooltips don't change, but I know they lie so I used damaging abilities on with and without and my maximum hit never went above the tooltip, which is what I would have expected if +15% was being added.

Does this only work for spells/chants and not Cipher abilities? Or does it only work with Soulbound weapons?

• Like 1

Did you read the two posts before yours?

Actually weapon enchantments don't enhance spells and chants and whatnot. It was a mistake.

Only those abilities you execute with the weapon will profit from weapon enchantments (and even then not all of them - look at Knockdown: the initial hit will work with weapon enchantments but the roll against fortitude that causes the prone effect will not).

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Yeah and I think I remember how I made the mistake of thinking it would apply.

When I tested the cipher I got flick of the wrist and WF for daggers to see if those apply to powers initially and saw they don't.

By big chance my accuracy for powers and the shown acc incl unlabored blade matched almost perfectly.

I then later played my Ultimate chanter (the one I leveled before I knew about invocation exploit and which made it to max level), looked at my invocation acc with unlaboured which again almost matched my acc with the blade (-5 for daggers) and then I unequipped the weapon which dropped my acc way below my invocation acc, I automatically assumed my acc dropped because of weapon unequip, but never checked how high my invocation acc actually was but went straight to reequipping.

I shouldn't do "tests" like that at late ight with at least slight alc intoxication. :D

Yea Drakes and Banshees just get melted by this.

This is so cool since Cipher has been my fav class for some time, now but always got overshadowed by Chanter. :)

Another awesome thing about this is, once an enemy gets stunned their will gets lowered, even if it's just a grace.

This only works primarily for melees, if in a party, right? Because I assume you won't get targeted by these attacks a lot unless you are at the front-line?

It doesn't matter if its in a party or melee. Drakes and Banshees are greatly affected by this ability due to their fear auras. Basically any auras that target will. Debuff auras (if Im not mistaken) reapplies their effect every 3secs. So Psychic/Brutal Backlash applies at the same interval.

It works for your Stronghold NPCs too. I just defended my stronghold against a Drake Attack and hired a Cipher type hireling. There was one drake that spent the entire encounter stun-locked due to it.

I didn't take this ability on my own cipher though. A little too powerful....

Edited by mosspit
  • Like 1

It doesn't matter if its in a party or melee. Drakes and Banshees are greatly affected by this ability due to their fear auras. Basically any auras that target will. Debuff auras (if Im not mistaken) reapplies their effect every 3secs. So Psychic/Brutal Backlash applies at the same interval.

It works for your Stronghold NPCs too. I just defended my stronghold against a Drake Attack and hired a Cipher type hireling. There was one drake that spent the entire encounter stun-locked due to it.

I didn't take this ability on my own cipher though. A little too powerful....

So ranged Ciphers can use Psychic Backlash, too? But aren't ranged characters usually too far from enemy auras?

The auras by those enemy types are quite big. Don't know the exact diameter but it is comparable to a chanter's. Maybe slightly smaller. Not really an issue for a ranger character to be affected by it.

Got it. I plan on pulling with his war bow, too. So he might be closer than most ranged characters as well.

You can always bring your ranged cipher in closer when fighting drakes, etc., to make sure they get backlashed.

But aren't there a ton of non-aura attacks that Psychic Backlash can be used against?

Mainly fampyr's but their attack is ranged anyway. (Tho there is no guarantee they will target your cipher if all your party is immune to charm.)

But vs undead raedric and Fampyr lord there are frighten auras anyway, probably in all other major fampyr fights too, I don't remember the White March one well enough tho.

Ofc backlash works against a lot of single target abilities, but if you don't solo there is never a guarantee to get hit by it. (which is probably a good thing with a squishy ranged char :p)

• Like 1

You can always bring your ranged cipher in closer when fighting drakes, etc., to make sure they get backlashed.

But aren't there a ton of non-aura attacks that Psychic Backlash can be used against?

Mainly fampyr's but their attack is ranged anyway. (Tho there is no guarantee they will target your cipher if all your party is immune to charm.)

But vs undead raedric and Fampyr lord there are frighten auras anyway, probably in all other major fampyr fights too, I don't remember the White March one well enough tho.

Ofc backlash works against a lot of single target abilities, but if you don't solo there is never a guarantee to get hit by it. (which is probably a good thing with a squishy ranged char :p)

And since enemies tend to attack the easiest ones to hit, I should ensure that the Cipher has the lowest Will?

Also, could having zero "pure" DPS classes kill fast enough? I am at the inn about to pick up 5 custom NPCs, and I am struggling between a melee DPS Chanter and a melee DPS Barbarian.

The rest of the crew is:

tanking Chanter (main)

hybrid Paladin using pike

blaster Wizard

support Priest

ranged Cipher

Maybe I wasn't clear.

You don't want to get hit by any damaging abilities that target will if you are squishy, some of them probably can instakill you.

There is no such thing as melee dps cganter, if you want melee dps pick barbarian, chanters do their damage passively so tank is much better.

• Like 1

Maybe I wasn't clear.

You don't want to get hit by any damaging abilities that target will if you are squishy, some of them probably can instakill you.

There is no such thing as melee dps cganter, if you want melee dps pick barbarian, chanters do their damage passively so tank is much better.

Hmmm, ok. Then Psychic Backlash is not even worth taking if you are in a party with good buffs? (E.g. Priest buffs?)

On DPS Chanter, what about the "Last Unicorn" version of this build?

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/86968-class-build-chillfog-cool-soothing-chanter-tank/

Giving a Chanter dual wield or 2H weapons and some Dexterity wouldn't work? He would be my 2nd Chanter - not the main.

Edit: I just wanted to squeeze in the 2nd Chanter, after watching so many 6 Chanter videos ;)

Edited by Lampros

Hmmm, ok. Then Psychic Backlash is not even worth taking if you are in a party with good buffs? (E.g. Priest buffs?)

It's not worth in every single fight, that's more of a solo thing.

It is still very worth in Dragon Fights, you could wait to do those till you are level 16 and then take backlash last talent. (or just work with respeccing)

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/86968-class-build-chillfog-cool-soothing-chanter-tank/

Giving a Chanter dual wield or 2H weapons and some Dexterity wouldn't work? He would be my 2nd Chanter - not the main.

Edit: I just wanted to squeeze in the 2nd Chanter, after watching so many 6 Chanter videos ;)

Well you can invest in melee, I did too in my trio party, but your main damage will still come from chants and stacking dragon slashed with 2 chanters is pretty strong so why not.

• Like 1

It's not worth in every single fight, that's more of a solo thing.

It is still very worth in Dragon Fights, you could wait to do those till you are level 16 and then take backlash last talent. (or just work with respeccing)

Well you can invest in melee, I did too in my trio party, but your main damage will still come from chants and stacking dragon slashed with 2 chanters is pretty strong so why not.

Ok, I am finally off to no return land then: 2 melee Chanters (one tank, one DPS), 1 hybrid pike Paladin, 1 ranged Cipher, 1 Priest, 1 Wizard. Finally! 3 days of theory-crafting, and at last getting the first full game going! ;)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The stun of psychic backlash seems to be different than regular stuns.

I know this is kind of an old topic, but I just reloaded my old cipher to test the new deadfire items and ran into some Dank spores who are immune to stun, but when they use their charm psychic backlash stuns them.

• Like 1