Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Bittercut doubt

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

helmino

helmino

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 94 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

Hi, after some really good help from the kind Boeroer to figure out what weapons are good for a Rogue, i'm looking at Bittercut.

This weapon work very well vith a Corrosive lash + Spirit of Decay, but this talent DR influence only the corrosive damage or even the slash damage?

If i take vulnerable attack too, will this DR stack with the Spirit of Decay one? and vice versa working on the corrosive damage? thanks in advance!

Livegood118

Livegood118

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 265 posts

Bittercut is a very, very good weapon:

1. Starts with +20% from sabre bonus, get's +20% from Spirit of Decay before any other enchantments are applied.

2. The Bonus from Spirit of Decay applies to both the slash and corrode portions of the weapon

3. Any lashes will synergise with their respective elemental talent e.g. if you put a corrode lash on bittercut and have spirit of decay, it'll become a 30% lash rather than a 25% lash.

4. Dual damage types are really, really good.

5. Vulnerable attack with apply to both the physical and corrode aspects of the damage. However, given that Rogues can struggle with getting speed boosts, other than in situations where you're dual wielding, you might consider something else instead because rogues dont have too much trouble with DR through doing high damage. This'll depend on the rest of your equip set-up though.

Another option to consider for rogue is the greatsword Tidefall. Rogues can dump Int with very little repercussions, meaning the wounding effect will work faster. Draining is fantastic. Tidefall has two damage types as well and comes Superb as standard.

Edited by Livegood118, 19 March 2017 - 03:41 PM.

firkraag888

firkraag888

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 73 posts

Hi, after some really good help from the kind Boeroer to figure out what weapons are good for a Rogue, i'm looking at Bittercut.

This weapon work very well vith a Corrosive lash + Spirit of Decay, but this talent DR influence only the corrosive damage or even the slash damage?

If i take vulnerable attack too, will this DR stack with the Spirit of Decay one? and vice versa working on the corrosive damage? thanks in advance!

don't take vulnerable attack with rogue.

you will be doing really high damage that will punch dr anyway. VA slows your attacks down by 20%

VA is also counterproductive with sneak attacks and deathblows. if you can get off SA and DB off you want to be attacking as quickly as possible.

Edited by firkraag888, 19 March 2017 - 07:23 PM.

KaineParker

KaineParker

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2590 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
I'll agree with the posters here, not to mention by appearances Rogue comes with Reckless Assault, and that 1.2X Melee damage and +8 accuracy will result in much higher damage with sabres than a 5 DT bypass and a 0% loss in attack speed.

EDIT: Actually never mind, Reckless Assault seems to only add base damage and round down to boot, so it's +2-3 damage with sabres at the cost of -8 deflection. Used console to confirm the same seems to hold true with savage attack as well. Reckless Assault is still the most damage boosting modal for melee, but I don't know if you want to take that -8 deflection hit which is pretty damn high for a fairly small payout. Note I play with the IE mod so that could be causing an issue.

Edited by KaineParker, 19 March 2017 - 09:17 PM.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5246 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Yes - skip Vulnerable Attack with sabres.

It's good for fast weapons with speed enchant, or if you already have high weapon speed and surpassed 0 recovery. But sabres are relatively slow and there are none with speed enchant and a rogue has no ability other than Outlander's Frenzy which could boost his speed.

As firkraag888 said: sabre + rogue leads to quite high damage per hit that should overcome most DR easily. 20% speed loss will hamper your DPS more than the +5 DR bypass can do your good.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5246 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
The good thing about Reckless Assault is the +8 ACC, not the +20% DMG. That's just a nice bonus.

Savage Attack doesn't work with Reckless Assault by the way. One will switch off the other.

All DMG bonuses except lashes (and confident aim) only add % of base damage. It's the stacking of those bonuses that makes your attacks powerful.
If you can get them, then favour lashes. Best is to have both.

Edited by Boeroer, 19 March 2017 - 09:55 PM.

Kaylon

Kaylon

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 714 posts

The good thing about Reckless Assault is the +8 ACC, not the +20% DMG. That's just a nice bonus.

Savage Attack doesn't work with Reckless Assault by the way. One will switch off the other.

All DMG bonuses except lashes (and confident aim) only add % of base damage. It's the stacking of those bonuses that makes your attacks powerful.

Savage Attack works with Reckless attack but the dmg bonus is suppressed and you get just -5acc... ;)

• peddroelm likes this

Livegood118

Livegood118

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 265 posts

Savage Attack works with Reckless attack but the dmg bonus is suppressed and you get just -5acc... ;)

10/10 coding

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5246 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Last time I tried the modal was switched off completely (maybe 3.04 or before). At leastI remember so. I was only testing a lvl 16 rogue with the console for about 10 minutes - so maybe my memory fails me.

Edited by Boeroer, 20 March 2017 - 04:30 AM.

helmino

helmino

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 94 posts

Nice suggestions, since i have 20 dex 19 perc 10 might, what enchant you suggest aside from corrosive lash?

ps: since i have 19 perc, is worth taking Interrupting blows?

Edited by helmino, 20 March 2017 - 07:50 AM.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5246 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
If you don't know what else to take. ;)

helmino

helmino

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 94 posts

If you don't know what else to take. ;)

Oh so is not optimal ok xD

MasterCipher

MasterCipher

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 103 posts

One thing I like about this game, is there is rarely a best for every situation or play style.

Another versatile option worthy of consideration:

http://pillarsofeter..._of_St._Rumbalt

Annihilation on a 2 hander (.5 is only on weapon base damage, but rogues crit a lot)

2 damage types

Highest theoretical single hit potential weapon for a rogue

Prone on crit (more creatures are immune now compared to early days, but still helps with survivability and deathblows)

Available early

Off-topic: Rogues are single target DPS beasts, but this and most games favor AoE damage. I would love to see mobs and encounters with AoE avoidance or mitigation to counter-balance.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5246 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Hours of St. Rumbalt = one of my favorite weapons in PoE. It has a great combination of enchantments and also looks very cool. And you can get it early.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users