Baseball 2017

Guard Dog

I hate the Red Sox. And the Yankees. And I don't think much of the Rangers either. But I hate the Red Sox.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Another underrated aspect of the great Barry Lamar Bonds: He's not going to injure himself by something silly as trying to run hard to first base.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Another underrated aspect of the great Barry Lamar Bonds: He's not going to injure himself by something silly as trying to run hard to first base.

Bonds stole over 500 bases in his career. He didn't start to slow down until he was in his 30's, so I'd say that is an unfair characterization. I mean, unless you are arguing he was just a smarter runner.

No. I'm just saying that Barry Bonds would have never gotten injured by trying to run out a single on a grounder. Because he would never even try to go hard down the first base line in the first place. I mean, why should he? His OBP is already insane and the risk of pulling a hamstring or spraining an ankle, or dislocating your knee from an all out sprint is too high.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

I don't know, it's hard to really find anything on his running game, and all I remember is the last half of his career where he either walked or hit it out of the park.

As a former die-hard Giants fan and Barry Bonds loyalist, I assure you, Barry Lamar Bonds would barely jog to first base on a routine grounder.

• Like 1

I don't know, it's hard to really find anything on his running game, and all I remember is the last half of his career where he either walked or hit it out of the park.

You beat me to it! I was going to say a lot of the time before Bonds was half way to first the ball was six rows deep.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I think you're all missing my point. I'm not talking about speed. I'm talking about superstar hustle.

Bonds, if anything knows his percentages. A routine grounder to the shortstop will lead to a 6-3 put out literally 98% of the time. He knows the risk to injury is not worth the trade-off in the off chance that he can reach first base safely.

Unlike Bryce Harper, Barry Bonds knows his value and is not so silly as to have gotten himself injured by busting down the line with 100% on a routine grounder just to try to beat out the throw.

Giancarlo Stanton is on a tear. 6 straight games with at least on dinger and now 44 for the year: http://m.mlb.com/news/article/248631262/marlins-giancarlo-stanton-hits-44th-home-run/?topicId=27118122

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

Quick, think of three things that are completely different yet sort of the same:

train-wreck-1935.jpeg

DEZ7pdAW0AAV6Ef.jpg

3feqm5e2grt2xg5eugzfepfn4.gif

Thomas Sowell

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

The debate on steriods players in the HoF rages on: https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2017/08/24/mark-mcgwire-hall-of-fame-steroids/597971001/

Enough already. They are going to get in. They should get in. Baseball has had ugly episodes in the past. Just put them on your ballots, send them in, and get over it. Close your eyes, take a shot of whiskey, whatever you have to do but just get it over with. After the first one goes in the rest are easy. What? Do you seriously mean Barry Bonds does not go in? The home run king? So if he gets in McGuire, Giambi, Caminite, even (shudder) A-Rod can't be left out. Just do it. It will be easier then second time you vote. 

Thomas Sowell

Stanton hit #48 & #49 last night: http://m.mlb.com/news/article/250579856/giancarlo-stanton-hits-homers-48-and-49/

The fabulous fighting fish of Miami are just 4 games back in the WC race now. After beating the Cards in St. Louis the Rays are three games back and appear to be heating up again. 

Football? What is football? It's still summer!

Thomas Sowell

Steroids should be legal.  As long as they aren't,  pain pills should also be banned.

HOF should be for the best players and anyone who tries to pretend that Bonds or C;emsnm 9amongst others) aren't  HOF worthy players are evil, stupid, insane, scumbag SJW Nazis.

PERIOD.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Stanton hit #50 today and the Marlins swept the Padres for their 4th win in a row. They are two games over .500, four games back in the WC chase and have a tough 3 game road trip to Washington this week. They are 12 games behind the Nats so that is probably out of reach even with six games still to play against them.  http://m.mlb.com/news/article/250931730/giancarlo-stanton-hits-50th-home-run/

On this date 

Maris had 51

McGwire had 54

Sosa had 49

Bonds had 56 (I think 73 is out of reach)

Stanton my become the first non-steroids player to break 61 since Maris. That is something. 

Thomas Sowell

#51 ties the all time mark for August. One more in the next two games breaks it. 31 games to go, 10 more HR to get to break 61. That sounds doable. 22 more to get 73. Not impossible, but not easy. http://m.mlb.com/news/article/251332552/nationals-anthony-rendon-beat-miami-win-80th/

Thomas Sowell

Well the NL races are pretty much over. It would take a major losing streak to shake that up now. The AL especially the WC race is a red hot. The Yankees & Twins are in right now with six teams within 3 games. For those eight teams every game is a playoff game. It does make for interesting watching. 

Thomas Sowell

On this date:

Roger Maris has 53

Mark McGwire had 60

Barry Bonds had 59

Giancarlo Stanton has 53

25 games to go

Thomas Sowell

First it was Scooter Gennett. Now JD Martinez. Four homers in one game. By a rehabilitated slap hitter.

Too beaucoup!

"Hey Indians fans  Just in case you haven't noticed, and judging by the attendance you haven't, the Indians have managed to win a few games here and there"

Harry Doyle, Major League

19 wins in a row! The go for tie of the AL record tonight. The '35 Cubs have the all time with 21. Exiting stuff!

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell